ADVERTISEMENT

Blacksburg to employ different kicking strategy

I like Blacksburg's plan. I think more teams should use that plan. Why give ball to opponent "at every opportunity". Almost every game I watch I see teams punting on 4th and 1 near mid field. Heck if a team cannot gain a yard on 4th and one, they do not deserve to win. When doing an on-sides kick, a team has a 50% chance at recovering the ball.
If opponent doesn't have ball they can't score, (other than a safety)

There are Coachs that use this strategy. It's actually nothing new. The statistics validate it all the time.

As far as onside kicks. A situation where a team expects it, the recovery stats are under 20%. When the team doesn't, the expectation can be close to 60%. Where does Blacksburg fit in there?

I like the thought of going for it on 4th down, especially after midfield. I think they will change up the strategy of onside kicking everytime. Once a team knows its coming they will prepare for it. If you are playing a high scoring offense the last thing you want to do is give them 50 yrds to score. Field position can be a game changer.

I like the thought of going for it on 4th down, especially after midfield. I think they will change up the strategy of onside kicking everytime. Once a team knows its coming they will prepare for it. If you are playing a high scoring offense the last thing you want to do is give them 50 yrds to score. Field position can be a game changer.
You remind me of the kicking game and how important it is. In 2008, I remember a Chancellor team whose punter was so good, he pinned teams within the 20 almost every time. No chance of a return. With the Charger defense, as it was, it was damn near impossible for other teams to score from 80 yards away. It was only at that time that I realized the value of a really good punter. It's a team game but the field position that kid bought them directly led to victories.

You remind me of the kicking game and how important it is. In 2008, I remember a Chancellor team whose punter was so good, he pinned teams within the 20 almost every time. No chance of a return. With the Charger defense, as it was, it was damn near impossible for other teams to score from 80 yards away. It was only at that time that I realized the value of a really good punter. It's a team game but the field position that kid bought them directly led to victories.
Blacksburg has a good punter and a D1 prospect kicker, not a fan of this, but time will tell

Reactions: mike salem
If you have a good defense you can stop a team from anywhere on the field.
here's an opportunity. Since 2010, when have you seen a defense like that? And remember, it's not about how they look but who you play. For example, the 2008 Brookville Bees yielded more points in the Chacmpionship game than they had in the entire season.

Schedule and who you play is everything and the only true measuring stick. You think you're fast till you run against Ursain Bolt. Suddenly, you're molasses in Winter. Perspective. Perspective. Perspective.

I like the constant threat of an onsides kick. It forces the opposition to spend valuable practice time preparing. Also, it often requires your opponent to use "hands" guys instead of who may be a better blocker.
It also alters the placement of personnel on the receiving team, possibly giving the kicking team a better chance to limit the return.

I like the strategy. I think the average return is to the 35 to 40 anyway. I like taking a chance to get a turnover.

Reactions: newleather
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT