ADVERTISEMENT

BOYS Championship: John Marshall 91 Radford 34 - FINAL

Couple of thoughts.

(1) Obviously JM should not be playing b-ball with this team in Class 2. Having watched the 5A championship, pretty sure Woodside and PH could stay on the court with JM.

(2) Radford wasn’t that good this year. I bet Brunswick or whoever would have beat them, too. And looking at the box score the Coach’s kid didn’t score. So as long as everybody wants to cry about it being unfair, maybe Radford should have at least brought their A game to the state final. I thought they would.

And I will elaborate because I’m not trying to dump on Gavin Cormany.

Here’s the thing. Radford needed Landen Clark to play this year. He had 16 against JM in the championship last year as a sophomore. Coach Cormany should have convinced Landen to play. Radford can only complain so much when the best player at their school chooses to sit in the stands. Which makes no sense for a kid who wants to be a D1 QB but hey.

If Landen had played and scored 16, and Gavin had done the same, JM beats Radford by 25-30 probably. JM would probably beat the best vhsl teams like Hayfield, Woodside, PH by 15-20.

So yes JM is better than all the vhsl teams. Radford “at full strength” would stay with. 30 though.

It’s a testament to Coach Cormany that Radford’s best player could stop playing and they still made the state championship. With Landen, Radford would have been one of the best teams in VHSL. Without him not so much. No surprise then that 2A teams couldn’t compete at all with JM.

I mean what would have happeed to Floyd Co?

I have been reading alot of remarks about John Marshall stacking the deck with kids from out of state, aau teams and other places. I'm a class 3a fan but I think transfers happen probably just about every school in high school in Virginia but not too extreme levels and it appears that the problem here is what's appears to be unethical or unfair to some people and what being done according to policies and rules in order for players to play at jm. So what might seem unfair is not breaking any rules or policies unless vhsl or school administrators say rules are being violated until this happens some people are just beating a dead horse.

What concerns me is that this is leading down a slippery slope. JM is basically operating the BB program like a private school without the costs associated with attending a private school. It’s not a 2A problem; it is a VHSL problem. What if other public schools go down this road? If the VHSL is okay with this, fine. Make a separate division for programs that operate in that manner.

Reactions: Amgis
What concerns me is that this is leading down a slippery slope. JM is basically operating the BB program like a private school without the costs associated with attending a private school. It’s not a 2A problem; it is a VHSL problem. What if other public schools go down this road? If the VHSL is okay with this, fine. Make a separate division for programs that operate in that manner.
IMO Basketball is evolving. It reminds me of the old man yelling at the kids in the park about “back in my day”. The VHSL can’t stop kids from relocating, imagine the legal ramifications the VHSL would face. The days off kids playing from the sandbox to graduation is over just like the old days of 5 passes before a shot on offense.

IMO Basketball is evolving. It reminds me of the old man yelling at the kids in the park about “back in my day”. The VHSL can’t stop kids from relocating, imagine the legal ramifications the VHSL would face. The days off kids playing from the sandbox to graduation is over just like the old days of 5 passes before a shot on offense.
Evolve all you want. No problem with that at all. Just make a separate division, and let them have at it. Let the traditional type public school programs compete against each other and the “evolved” programs beat up on each other in their own division.

The type of transfers happening at JM ain’t your normal run of the mill transfers and you know it.

Reactions: falcettik
Evolve all you want. No problem with that at all. Just make a separate division, and let them have at it. Let the traditional type public school programs compete against each other and the “evolved” programs beat up on each other in their own division.
That’s a slippery slope. How do you classify teams for each division? What I’d like to see is the former collegiate transfer rule where you have to sit out a year. That would alleviate 1 and done and paint a clearer picture about players transfer motives. Are you going to sit a year at JM and wait for eligibility?

That’s a slippery slope. How do you classify teams for each division? What I’d like to see is the former collegiate transfer rule where you have to sit out a year. That would alleviate 1 and done and paint a clearer picture about players transfer motives. Are you going to sit a year at JM and wait for eligibility?
The divisions would be exactly as they are now with one addition. Teams like JM would be all lumped into a separate division regardless of size. Basically an AAU division. Not saying I want to see this, I don’t. But if it stays the way it is, there will be other AAU coaches who emulate the JM model and eventually the whole “public” school system will be unrecognizable.

Last edited:
Serious question for those who might know. I have been told by several people that I know from the Radford area that Radford basketball has had transfers on most if not all of their teams that made it to the state championship games in the last 20 years. Is that correct? It wasn't disgruntled rivals but from people with Radford HS ties. Just wondering what the truth is?
Nate and Miles Jones came with Mike Jones who was the RU coach. so no recruiting there. Blake Burdach was an exchange student. I don't really know how those decisions were made. I'm sure Radford's basketball history had some influence on what school he chose. Most recently, Landen Clark(who didn't play this year) transfered from Glenvar before 9th grade year for basketball. He was not recruited either and now focused on football. Every kid on this years team was born in and grew up in Radford.

Reactions: OnceAKnight
Brunswick and Madison played in the State quarters. Was a 2 point Brunswick win. If not for JM, Brunswick had a shot, IMHO. Madison returns most of the team next year but in reality, is winning the Region again the best they can hope for?

Is Brunswick dropping to 1A next season?
Yes, Brunswick is dropping down to Class 1. I was referring to this year though.

Last edited:
Reactions: MCAthletics
That’s a slippery slope. How do you classify teams for each division? What I’d like to see is the former collegiate transfer rule where you have to sit out a year.
The trend is going the other way, especially south of the Mason-Dixon line. West Virginia state legislature just passed a law requiring the WVSSAC to allow each athlete one transfer without penalty during their high school career. IIRC Florida has a law prohibiting the FHSAA from imposing any transfer restrictions.

I don't really have any problem with what JM or any other powerhouse team in other sports are doing, just think we need a structure where the best teams all play in the same class.

Brunswick and Madison played in the State quarters. Was a 2 point Brunswick win. If not for JM, Brunswick had a shot, IMHO. Madison returns most of the team next year but in reality, is winning the Region again the best they can hope for?

Is Brunswick dropping to 1A next season?
Yes they are. Region 1B.

Reactions: MCAthletics
Nate and Miles Jones came with Mike Jones who was the RU coach. so no recruiting there. Blake Burdach was an exchange student. I don't really know how those decisions were made. I'm sure Radford's basketball history had some influence on what school he chose. Most recently, Landen Clark(who didn't play this year) transfered from Glenvar before 9th grade year for basketball. He was not recruited either and now focused on football. Every kid on this years team was born in and grew up in Radford.
Based on the answers to my question I don't see anything backing up that kids transferred to Radford just to play sports or were recruited. Usually someone knows the story & is willing to tell it especially after a couple of years. Didn't see that here so in my opinion what I heard was wrong.

Based on the answers to my question I don't see anything backing up that kids transferred to Radford just to play sports or were recruited. Usually someone knows the story & is willing to tell it especially after a couple of years. Didn't see that here so in my opinion what I heard was wrong.
Cormany will not have it! The man is 100% discipline. What kind of example would he set for the team if they bend the rules? No way he could demand excellence and do such a thing.
With this, if I'm John Marshall, I'm not feeling so good about this championship and probably questioning my ethics.

Reactions: Xknight
Couple of thoughts.

(1) Obviously JM should not be playing b-ball with this team in Class 2. Having watched the 5A championship, pretty sure Woodside and PH could stay on the court with JM.

(2) Radford wasn’t that good this year. I bet Brunswick or whoever would have beat them, too. And looking at the box score the Coach’s kid didn’t score. So as long as everybody wants to cry about it being unfair, maybe Radford should have at least brought their A game to the state final. I thought they would.
you are correct JM and Woodside played in the Tidewater Fall Ball League and Woodside even won one of them.

Lee Merry @LerryLegend·

Big shout out to the Justices for getting the invite to compete in the National Basketball Tournament!!!
💯
💯
This is Major!@JayemMarshall
FrDLrU0X0AAsyob

I wonder what would happen if the coach from John Marshall got an offer from Dematha or Oak Hill. I think he would take half the coaches and half the players and John Marshall would wind up being on above average team which would hurt the school.

Reactions: SportsJunkie32
I wonder what would happen if the coach from John Marshall got an offer from Dematha or Oak Hill. I think he would take half the coaches and half the players and John Marshall would wind up being on above average team which would hurt the school.
Hurt the school? They would be a normal 2a team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT