ADVERTISEMENT

BOYS Championship: John Marshall 91 Radford 34 - FINAL

pizzzzza

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Nov 9, 2001
VHSL Class 2 State Basketball Championship with John Marshall (27-0) vs. Radford (23-4) at VCU.

NC State signee Dennis Parker Jr. with a pair of corner 3's. Jason Rivera with a hoop and a straight away 3. John Marshall quickly out to an 11-0 lead on Radford with 3:45 left in the opening period in the VHSL Class 2 title game.

To me, Radford's Kelly is the only player who seems to be playing with confidence....driving and attacking JM.

Dennis Parker with the jam, Radford calls timeout. 16-0 Justices lead

End 1stQ in VHSL Class 2 State Basketball Championship - John Marshall 25, Radford 4. Justices with SIX made 3's thus far, 3 by Dennis Parker Jr. 2 by Damon Redd Thompson Jr. The other by Jason Rivera.

Timeout called by John Marshall. Justices lead 33-7 with 5:53 left in the 2Q

A dunk for Radford's Elijah Kelly. In terms of dunks, John Marshall leads 3-1. On the scoreboard, it's 33-9 Justices

Class 2 Boys Basketball Championship Halftime: John Marshall 51, Radford 13

End 3rdQ in VHSL Class 2 State Basketball Championship - John Marshall 69, Radford 21.

Class 2 Boys Basketball Championship Final: John Marshall 91, Radford 34

John Marshall (VA) just captured their third VHSL 2A state title in the last four seasons — the Justice finish 28-0. What an incredible season for John Marshall and HC Ty White — who was named National COY — did not begin the season ranked in the top-25

Reactions: REDDEVILS00
John Marshall (VA) just captured their third VHSL 2A state title in the last four seasons — the Justice finish 28-0. What an incredible season for John Marshall and HC Ty White — who was named National COY — did not begin the season ranked in the top-25
Let Rick Cormany scout the country and put together a super team and see what really happens. This was a exhibition game. Radford won state and Elijah Kelly was POY. If your proud of full court press basketball up 75-25 then you don’t know basketball. VHSL should be ashamed.

Let Rick Cormany scout the country and put together a super team and see what really happens. This was an exhibition game. Radford won state and Elijah Kelly was POY. If your proud of full court press basketball up 75-25 then you don’t know basketball. VHSL should be ashamed.
No they really didn’t lol fair or not fair don’t live in fantasy land.

Fq-x0zYaYAIgu4O

Reactions: MascotMemorizer
Serious question for those who might know. I have been told by several people that I know from the Radford area that Radford basketball has had transfers on most if not all of their teams that made it to the state championship games in the last 20 years. Is that correct? It wasn't disgruntled rivals but from people with Radford HS ties. Just wondering what the truth is?

Reactions: MascotMemorizer
Where was the big center from that played on the Radford team that last won the 1A championship? I doubt very seriously that he was local.

Come on, are you seriously comparing a team where one kid may have transferred in from a nearby school to what JM is doing? Ridiculous.

Reactions: Gridiron1960
Where was the big center from that played on the Radford team that last won the 1A championship? I doubt very seriously that he was local.
Kelly didn’t play on 2018 team. Who are you asking about? Jones? His dad was RU coach. They lived in Radford

I’ve lived in Radford for over 20 years and know alums from all of their teams. 98% of anyone who has played for Radford has been from the City. I know of two players that weren’t from Radford. Jon Thompson on ‘09 team moved from out of state but was at the school for at least 3 seasons and moved because of parents being transferred here. Blake Burdack, who I know well, was an international student from Australia. He landed in Radford, but it certainly wasn’t a recruitment of any kind, and anyone who says differently, is flat out lying. I’m sure there are a couple others that moved in, but I don’t know of any recruiting of any kind, so I hope no one will speculate that.

Come on, are you seriously comparing a team where one kid may have transferred in from a nearby school to what JM is doing? Ridiculous.
If it happened I would guess that the teams that lost to Radford would have felt like Radford does now. Again its not like Radford would be the only one that has done that. One of the schools right next to Radford apparently has done the same thing and won with Radford players in other sports.

Xknight asked a question and I responded. I'm not comparing anything or any team. I just responded to a question that he posted.

Reactions: Xknight
Kelly didn’t play on 2018 team. Who are you asking about? Jones? His dad was RU coach. They lived in Radford
Around 2016, Radford won 1A and Martinsville won 2A that year..Radford had a big blond haired center. I don't remember his name.

If it happened I would guess that the teams that lost to Radford would have felt like Radford does now. Again its not like Radford would be the only one that has done that. One of the schools right next to Radford apparently has done the same thing and won with Radford players in other sports.
First off Radford doesn’t recruit. Second Radford players ATTEND RADFORD HIGH SCHOOL. They aren’t paid actors that have shoe deals. Salem for instance has been known to get players from local Roanoke but they aren’t in Texas and Ohio recruiting football players. Major league difference.

Around 2016, Radford won 1A and Martinsville won 2A that year..Radford had a big blond haired center. I don't remember his name.
Blake Burdack is from Australia. He wasn’t recruited. He originally was going to Salem for classes they offered. Radford offered similar classes so he opted to go to Radford. He now is one of the assistant coaches at Radford and married a Radford High School graduate. He also broke his leg during the state championship game and Radford still won. Is that clear enough?

Reactions: 19GHS87
Blake Burdack is from Australia. He wasn’t recruited. He originally was going to Salem for classes they offered. Radford offered similar classes so he opted to go to Radford. He now is one of the assistant coaches at Radford and married a Radford High School graduate. He also broke his leg during the state championship game and Radford still won. Is that clear enough?
Don't be upset with me. I simply replied to someone's post. I have no dog in the fight. I could honestly care less who won. I'm a Martinsville Bulldog.

Don't be upset with me. I simply replied to someone's post. I have no dog in the fight. I could honestly care less who won. I'm a Martinsville Bulldog.
I’m explaining and I’m explaining the difference. It’s like Mac McClung is from Kingsport Tennessee and not Gate City. McClung attended classes at Gate City. JM kids don’t even attend school there. One day it may be Martinsville and you may feel differently.

Let Rick Cormany scout the country and put together a super team and see what really happens. This was a exhibition game. Radford won state and Elijah Kelly was POY. If your proud of full court press basketball up 75-25 then you don’t know basketball. VHSL should be ashamed.
Ty Gafford
Assistant Director for Athletics
(434) 977-8475
tgafford@vhsl.org

Flood him with emails, phone calls, and letters. Demand change! This is an anonymous board, won’t make much headway here…

I honestly think Brunswick would have a say so, if Radford actually wins Class 2A or not, if JM wasn't in our class.
Brunswick and Madison played in the State quarters. Was a 2 point Brunswick win. If not for JM, Brunswick had a shot, IMHO. Madison returns most of the team next year but in reality, is winning the Region again the best they can hope for?

Is Brunswick dropping to 1A next season?

Last edited:
Reactions: AntGZee
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT