ADVERTISEMENT

BOYS QF: JM 120 Clarke County 57 - FINAL

I’d love to see them in the WCAC but travel costs and logistics would be a nightmare. Them and PVI in the VISAA championship would be a doozy. I agree, 100%…
Why are travel cost a nightmare? Don't they already travel all over to play during the "regular" season? Why would logistics be a nightmare? They don't play a "regular" district schedule anyway.

Why are travel cost a nightmare? Don't they already travel all over to play during the "regular" season? Why would logistics be a nightmare? They don't play a "regular" district schedule anyway.
Because Bishop McNamara is in MD and PVI is in NOVA, Carroll is in DC. They now have to travel(in time) to a JV, V game and vice versa. Traveling for holiday tournaments is one thing. Week in and week out is different.

Had to borrow baseball/softball equipment from another team?!?

Why does no one answer if any of the JM players actually attend Richmond Community School instead of JM? Legitimate question...
because that is a specialty school in the JM zone that does not have a sports program; the other is The Franklin Military High School.

Because Bishop McNamara is in MD and PVI is in NOVA, Carroll is in DC. They now have to travel(in time) to a JV, V game and vice versa. Traveling for holiday tournaments is one thing. Week in and week out is different.
With Adidas and Team Loaded money, I would not think money is an issue. Aren't there plenty of 3-6A teams in the area that would play JM/RCS? I know that many public schools play private schools during the regular season. We play Woodberry Forest and Blue Ridge on occasion.

With Adidas and Team Loaded money, I would not think money is an issue. Aren't there plenty of 3-6A teams in the area that would play JM/RCS? I know that many public schools play private schools during the regular season. We play Woodberry Forest and Blue Ridge on occasion.
JM beat Landstowne(6A region champ) by almost 40… they are head and shoulders better than everyone regardless of classification except maybe South Lakes(who beat them in the summer). I doubt St. John’s College High School wants to travel 5-6 hours round trip for a Tuesday night basketball game at JM

Reactions: toughy299
JM beat Landstowne(6A region champ) by almost 40… they are head and shoulders better than everyone regardless of classification except maybe South Lakes(who beat them in the summer). I doubt St. John’s College High School wants to travel 5-6 hours round trip for a Tuesday night basketball game at JM
Sounds like an excuse not a reason...but it is what it is. They ought to at least properly call them "JM/RCS" since they are made up of players from multiple schools. I still do not understand why the enrollment of all schools is not considered when classifying programs with multiple schools providing players. Amazing that RCS has no basketball team but lots of talented players...

But they only play 2A during the playoffs...so what's the point? Here is a list of the non-2A teams played this year. Looks like they don't have any trouble finding teams to play and travel/time doesn't seem to be an issue.

Last edited:
Sounds like an excuse not a reason...but it is what it is. They ought to at least properly call them "JM/RCS" since they are made up of players from multiple schools. I still do not understand why the enrollment of all schools is not considered when classifying programs with multiple schools providing players. Amazing that RCS has no basketball team but lots of talented players...
Hint: they go there bc the parents want the JM program but not JM school experiences…and it’s the best public school in Richmond. Win-win for them

Not a good basketball experience for those players who actually attend JM but get cut or don't play because of players from other schools coming in...
Absolutely, and the kids on the team who get no playing time but bust there a$$ everyday. That’s why I’m not upset that they press and keep scoring, those kids deserve to do more than hold the ball and run 4 corners.

Absolutely, and the kids on the team who get no playing time but bust there a$$ everyday. That’s why I’m not upset that they press and keep scoring, those kids deserve to do more than hold the ball and run 4 corners.
Right...they actually deserve to be a part of a program like all the other PUBLIC schools in the Commonwealth...not a hybrid private school program that has taken advantage of a weak VHSL.

I’d approach JM, one of two ways. Either, not score a single point, let them win 300-0 or have all my players foul out as quickly as possible so game gets called. Make the state championship game one for the record books in a totally different way.
i would not even go and damn sure would not schedule them.They are bringing in top players and should play class 6

A quick google search turned this info up (I am sure the numbers are not exact but should be close)....

Enrollment at JM (667), Richmond Community School (250) and Franklin Military (367) puts the student population that JM CAN select their team from at around 1284 enrollment. That should be the number classification is based on.

Last edited:
i would not even go and damn sure would not schedule them.They are bringing in top players and should play class 6
Not fair to Class 6 either. They can’t recruit players or have players that attend different schools. The guy from Madison said it best, hybrid program that operates like a private. It’s true…

Reactions: MCAthletics
Virginia High or Graham will be the sacrificial lambs for JM! Whichever goes to the championship , their fans will go and support them. The boys on each team will give 110% without question. Then, we’ll have this entire conversation again after the slaughter. VHSL is first and foremost to blame. They need to remedy the situation, period! At this point, it’s just ridiculous to expect a regular 2A school to be competitive against Team Loaded! I called Radford the true champs last year of Class AA and VA High or Graham will be the rightful state champion this year regardless of the scoreboard. Let me be the first to congratulate the Bearcats or GMen whomever it ends up being.

The AG for Virginia was ready to scorch earth for JMU when the CFP committee didn’t want them to be bowl eligible. Maybe strike up a petition to get him involved, I’m sure his reach would garner the attention from VHSL. No parent, or email to VHSL will do anything, but a politician who is an opportunist might move the needle. How bad do y’all want change?!

Reactions: Gridiron1960
The truth is that if JM had any ethics, they wouldn’t play in the championship game. They would let the teams that deserve to be in the VHSL 2A championship play the game. The teams that won’t go on to play nationally televised tournaments. John Marshall, you operate in a totally different way than the rest of us. What you do, in regards to the spirit of amateur sports, is slimey to say the least.

The truth is that if JM had any ethics, they wouldn’t play in the championship game. They would let the teams that deserve to be in the VHSL 2A championship play the game. The teams that won’t go on to play nationally televised tournaments. John Marshall, you operate in a totally different way than the rest of us. What you do, in regards to the spirit of amateur sports, is slimey to say the least.
Furthermore, you do it in the name of education and teaching young men how to be leaders. Unfortunately, you are teaching them how to work the system.

Man this is a dead horse issue. It's not a JM problem It's aVHSL problem. JM aren't breaking any rules, it might seem morally and ethically wrong but they aren't breaking any rules. Every year it's the same complaints write to the VHSL.
Just because you CAN do something doesn’t mean you SHOULD do it.

VHSL is culpable and so are the administrators and coaches at JM/RCS.

A quick google search turned this info up (I am sure the numbers are not exact but should be close)....

Enrollment at JM (667), Richmond Community School (250) and Franklin Military (367) puts the student population that JM CAN select their team from at around 1284 enrollment. That should be the number classification is based on.
I get it but then you would have to add these numbers to the other Richmond schools and now you have an absolute mess.

I get it but then you would have to add these numbers to the other Richmond schools and now you have an absolute mess.
I don’t think that would be a mess at all. If Richmond City allows students to attend any city school, then add the enrollment from the 2 “special” schools to all. If they don’t like it, then they can stop it.

Reactions: GoBlue2109
Man this is a dead horse issue. It's not a JM problem It's aVHSL problem. JM aren't breaking any rules, it might seem morally and ethically wrong but they aren't breaking any rules. Every year it's the same complaints write to the VHSL.
They do break rules. They would have never launched with the success they had without breaking rules. If any other school quickly created such an incredibly talented roster would you think they did it within the VHSL rule book? It’s hard to prove many things that go on. Doesn’t mean rules arent broken.

I suppose you are right in the need for a different strategy to get this problem fixed other than complaining on a message board.

Not faulting the players at all. Good for them. Getting a private school experience for free. I'd do it too if I had the athletic skill and opportunity. LCA does it but they had to sue the state to gain access to the VHSL system. But at least they don't pretend to be something they are not.

The fault lies in several places. First, the school system should require players to actually attend the school they play for (if that is the case here). Or, the VHSL should include the enrollment of all the schools that have players from multiple schools; and, Adidas should stay out of high school sports (or at least support all the programs at the school); plus, AAU coaches should not be the HS coach; and mostly--since the VHSL says if you play in the VHSL, you are a 2A, then don't play in the VHSL! I am sure there are many, many teams and tourneys JM/RCS can play in if they were unencumbered by the VHSL. Then more power to them! But stop with the, "they won't let us play up". There is some reason JM/RCS stays in VHSL knowing its 2A.
Correct, no fault of the players at all except for the fact of being "loaded". Like having the "dream team" on a high school level. Hell they got 8 guys on the roster listed 6"2" or more. Not seen very often on the class 2 level. Plus don't see what benefit they get beating teams by 50-80 points.

Reactions: MCAthletics
It’s funny how everyone wants to call out JM for loading up their basketball team with athletes that don’t live in their school district but turn a blind eye to Graham doing it with their football team 😂😂😂😂

I’d approach JM, one of two ways. Either, not score a single point, let them win 300-0 or have all my players foul out as quickly as possible so game gets called. Make the state championship game one for the record books in a totally different way.

Virginia High or Graham will be the sacrificial lambs for JM! Whichever goes to the championship , their fans will go and support them. The boys on each team will give 110% without question. Then, we’ll have this entire conversation again after the slaughter. VHSL is first and foremost to blame. They need to remedy the situation, period! At this point, it’s just ridiculous to expect a regular 2A school to be competitive against Team Loaded! I called Radford the true champs last year of Class AA and VA High or Graham will be the rightful state champion this year regardless of the scoreboard. Let me be the first to congratulate the Bearcats or GMen whomever it ends up being.
Look I explained this to a Martinsville fan, it not as easy to handle as you think. You aren’t guaranteed to ever get back to the state championship. See losing is one thing. Get full court pressed when your down 75-25 in the third quarter by starters is another thing. By the way that happened last year vs Radford. Best coach in the state retired before his son’s senior season because of this garbage. Honestly I was coach and your still full court pressing up by 50, next time you dunk someone take your legs out. Mr. Primdonna laying on the ground might think about stealing on me again.

Reactions: Gridiron1960
They didn’t last year against Radford in the championship game. Ethically bankrupt coaching staff pressing in 3rd Q up by 50 with starters in against Radford. Why would they change their M.O. now?
That’s what I just messaged. You can watch the video, up 75-25 and they are still full court press. Honestly it takes all you got not to say something. Radford coach retired and the top 3 players didn’t play or Radford would be there again. Only way things get done is when everyone gets tired of this nonsense.

Apples and oranges. Not even in the same hemisphere. That ax should be ground on the SWVA board…
Why? They play in Virginia and made the final 4 in football and men’s basketball in VIRGINIA. % wise they may have the same amount of outside kids on the hardwood as JM does.

Apples and oranges. Not even in the same hemisphere. That ax should be ground on the SWVA board…
I don’t think he posts on there anymore. I believe he deleted his account after a brew haha with some other members 😂😂😂😂. Anyone who equates a kid moving to Bluefield from Mount View or Princeton to a team that recruits from NYC , DC, etc. is ignorant. We could name school after school in SWVA & other areas of the state where kids transfer to neighboring towns or counties. It’s not even remotely the same as what JM is doing with their basketball programs and he knows it. He just likes to talk smack about Graham.

Reactions: toughy299
I don’t think he posts on there anymore. I believe he deleted his account after a brew haha with some other members 😂😂😂😂. Anyone who equates a kid moving to Bluefield from Mount View or Princeton to a team that recruits from NYC , DC, etc. is ignorant. We could name school after school in SWVA & other areas of the state where kids transfer to neighboring towns or counties. It’s not even remotely the same as what JM is doing with their basketball programs and he knows it. He just likes to talk smack about Graham.
Your whole post couldn’t be more wrong. Especially the last part where you talk about “moving.”
Wonder if any of the JM kids have fresh out of state driver’s licenses?

Your whole post couldn’t be more wrong. Especially the last part where you talk about “moving.”
Wonder if any of the JM kids have fresh out of state driver’s licenses?
Whatever you say, buddy! You’re obviously way more versed in zip codes and geography than everyone else! You are so knowledgeable , you may even have a law degree. Next time, I’ll use the phraseology “moving schools” so you don’t get your panties in a wad. Bang the gavel, you win 🏆! 😉 ✌🏼

Last edited:
Whatever you say, buddy! You’re obviously way more versed in zip codes and geography than everyone else! You are so knowledgeable , you may even have a law degree. Next time, I’ll use the phraseology “moving schools” so you don’t get your panties in a wad. Bang the gavel, you win 🏆! 😉 ✌🏼
What are you even trying to defend? You said a lot to say nothing lol

You don’t have to have a law degree or be P.I. to see it. All you need is a Facebook account and the knowledge to know how old you have to be to become a licensed driver in VA.

Don’t throw stones if you live in a glass house. Leave them JM boys alone and tell them congrats on their state championship!

Reactions: DJENKS2015
Why? They play in Virginia and made the final 4 in football and men’s basketball in VIRGINIA. % wise they may have the same amount of outside kids on the hardwood as JM does.
Do you not see your own hypocrisy? You accuse Graham of doing something but tell others to congratulate JM for doing the same thing?

Dude, JM competes on a national level with players from all over with some who don't even attend JM. You think Graham could compete with Mater Dei, St. John Bosco or IMG? What international company like Adidas is underwriting Graham? Are Team Loaded coaches running the Graham programs? How many Graham players attend Bluefield or Tazewell but play for Graham? Like I said apples to oranges...

I have never seen JM play so all I have to go on are the comments seen on here over the years, in which the consensus opinion is that they do not belong at the 2-A level and apparently never will. So if it is not an even playing field for the other teams in 2-A, plus JM apparently has no problem playing tougher competition, the obvious win/win is to move them up, maybe gradually. Let them play 3-A for the next cycle and if they roll all over that division, move them up to 4-A, and so on until the right fit is found.

As for someone else's comment about needing a mercy rule in basketball, there already is one. The clock is supposed to run continuously if a team is up by 30 points or more at any point in the second half. So I would assume this was done in that game with Clarke.
good idea

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT