ADVERTISEMENT

Boys Semis: Gate City 70 Graham 59 - FINAL

The ball did not go in on that basket interference. It was essentially a 6 point swing after the technical. I would have been furious too.

Back in my day, yea I'm old school, if you smacked the glass you better get the ball or it was interference.

Last edited:
Reactions: eh31
I didn't see the game as badly officiated at all. I didn't get a good look on MM smacking the backboard, but the officials were consistent. Graham got called for some reaching in fouls because they were reaching in, it wasn't a lot of 50/50 calls that could've went either way.

if you want to talk about some bad officiating, you should have been at the abingdon vs lord boteourt girls game at va high tonight, where they get these guys at is beyond me

Graham was 9-13 at the line.

I don't recall anyone complaining about officials, maybe I need to reread it all. Couple critical calls missed maybe which is not unusual. If free throws were 19 to 13 that's not really lopsided when you realize GC shot their last 6 or more as a direct result of Graham having to foul. I don't think anyone fouled out. The GC/Lee game should be very good. Ill watch it from my couch online.

Reactions: BigWinners
I don't recall anyone complaining about officials, maybe I need to reread it all. Couple critical calls missed maybe which is not unusual. If free throws were 19 to 13 that's not really lopsided when you realize GC shot their last 6 or more as a direct result of Graham having to foul. I don't think anyone fouled out. The GC/Lee game should be very good. Ill watch it from my couch online.
Lopsided is when one team shoots 28 and the other shoots 12 as in the first game!!!!!!!!

Reactions: OnceAKnight
It is either a technical on McClung for slapping the backboard or nothing. You cannot call BI for slapping the backboard.

Now if he touched the ball in the cylinder then yes BI.

The ball did not go in on that basket interference. It was essentially a 6 point swing after the technical. I would have been furious too.

just for clarification, unless Va has different rules

2. The backboard has nothing to do with goaltending. Goaltending is contacting the ball on its downward flight, above the level of the rim, with a chance to go in. On most layups, the ball is going up after it contacts the backboard. It is legal to pin the ball against the backboard if it still on the way up and not in the imaginary cylinder above the basket. Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor is it goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul.

just for clarification, unless Va has different rules

2. The backboard has nothing to do with goaltending. Goaltending is contacting the ball on its downward flight, above the level of the rim, with a chance to go in. On most layups, the ball is going up after it contacts the backboard. It is legal to pin the ball against the backboard if it still on the way up and not in the imaginary cylinder above the basket. Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor is it goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul.

19GHS87 Did indeed say basket interference and not goaltending

regardless OnceAKnight you are correct on goaltending and the penalty and no penalty for slapping the backboard

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT