Amelia County 45, Richlands 40
Dan River 65, Bruton 56
Robert E. Lee 81, Gate City 74, OT
Semifinals - March 4
Madison County vs. Amelia County, 4:15
Robert E. Lee vs. Dan River, 7:45
Championship - March 9, at VCU
Semifinal winners 8:30

Up-and-down tempo to start. Amelia and Madison knotted at 4-4. 1Q 6:11.

Gaines Swink knocks down 1-of-2 at the line to push Madison's lead to 7-4 over Amelia here early. 1Q 5:08

A deep 3 from Amelia's Jared Baker knots things back up at 7-7 vs. Madison. 1Q 4:17

Madison trails 9-7 in the 1st but Smith to the bench with 2 fouls

Kobe Alexander with a driving score to give Madison an 11-9 lead over Amelia. 1Q 1:41.

End of 1Q: Amelia 11, Madison County 11

Swink with 5 to lead Mountaineers. Isiah Smith picked up 2 early fouls for MCHS.

Dre Twyman gets a nice bucket in the low-post to give Madison a 15-13 lead over Amelia. 2Q 5:47

Isiah Smith knocks down a pair of FTs followed by a Dre Twyman block. Madison leads Amelia 18-15. 2Q 4:45

Amelia's Baker to bench with 3 fouls

Last edited:
Gaines Swink with his second 3 of the quarter to give Madison a 28-24 lead over Amelia. 2Q 22.9 seconds remaining.

Swink's 11 lead Mountaineers. Smith and Twyman with 6 apiece.

Elijah Lewis drills a 3 to start the third for Madison. Mountaineers now lead Amelia 31-24. 3Q 6:32.

Eric Medley scores off a steal for Amelia but the Raiders still trail Madison 33-30. 3Q 5:04

A floater from Gaines Swink, who is having himself a game, extends the Madison lead to 35-30 over Amelia.

DeQuante Meadows drills a 3 to give Amelia a 37-36 lead. Raiders on a 7-0 run. 3Q 41.4 sec

Amelia scores last 10 points of 3rd Qtr - Jamal Grant layup at the buzzer gives Amelia a 40-36 lead over Madison.

Back-to-back baskets from DeQuante Meadows extend Amelia's lead to 46-38 over Madison County. 4Q 6:35.

Jared Baker drills a 3 and Amelia now leads Madison 49-40. - 4Q 5:34.

Amelia calls timeout, leading 49-42 over Madison. Raiders have possession. 4Q 4:52.

Smith with a floater and Madison has cut the Amelia lead to 51-50. 2:45 remaining

Amelia is totally self-destructing right now. Madison has the ball and trails 51-50. 2:23 left in the contest

Madison gets a couple of quick baskets. Raiders trail Amelia 51-48. 3:17 remaining

Amelia counters to go up 53-52

Raiders in serious foul trouble - one player already out

Swink FT ties game @ 53

Meadows with a FT, Amelia leads Madison 54-53

4TH QTR 1:22 | Amelia calls timeout, clinging to 54-53 lead over Madison.

Baker and Hawkins with 4 fouls for Amelia.

Alexander already out for Madison.

Madison lets 46 seconds run off the clock before finally fouling. Amelia shooting two FTs, leading 54-53. 36.3 seconds left.

Baker hits first. Amelia leads 55-53

Baker misses second, but Amelia gets rebound.

Stanford to the line for the Raiders - misses both

Smith misses jumper for Madison, Amelia rebound and fouled.

Amelia headed to the line to shoot two, leading Madison 55-53. 18.1 seconds left

Baker to the line for Amelia, his team up 55-53

Makes first, timeout Madison. Amelia leads 56-53, 4Q 18.1 left

Baker hits the first of two free throws and Madison calls timeout. Baker will have a chance to put Amelia up four out of the timeout

Madison lets 46 seconds run off the clock before finally fouling. Amelia shooting two FTs, leading 54-53. 36.3 seconds left.

Baker hits first. Amelia leads 55-53

Baker misses second, but Amelia gets rebound.

Stanford to the line for the Raiders - misses both

Why let 46 seconds go off the clock coach breeden? Smh

Baker hits second, Amelia by 4

Smith answers for Madison to cut Amelia lead to 2, 57-55. 11.5

Baker to the line for Amelia, hits both to put team up 59-55.

Madison down 4, has 10.2 seconds left. Calls timeout.

FINAL: Amelia County 61, Madison County 55. Raiders will face either Lee High or Dan River for 2A title on Thursday at VCU

Baker knocked down 6 consecutive free throws to seal it for Amelia.

Amelia definitely opened some eyes this postseason. Really didn't hear much about them during the regular season but now they are one win away from the championship.

Reactions: AntGZee
I thought Amelia looked solid but just from watching all the games yesterday I would have to give the nod to the winner of the DR/Lee matchup. However, I was off on my eye test a few times so who knows what happens. Congrats to Amelia on making it to the championship and good luck to DR and the Leemen.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
Grant's ability to penetrate and Baker's long triple were the keys to this win. But once Madison made its comeback and took the lead, I would not have given Amelia a chance with that Mountaineer crowd raising the roof the way they were. So Amelia is definitely one cool and calm team under pressure. I know Lee beat them in the regular season, but that will be one heck of a state final.

I came down with some sort of stomach bug and had to miss the game Saturday. Just wanted to say congratulations to Amelia on the win and good luck at VCU.

Also, Madison had a great season (East Region Champ). Nothing to hang your heads about. Now get to work on returning to the final four next year!

Reactions: pizzzzza
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT