ADVERTISEMENT

Brookville

While they are private, as per VHSL rules they are obviously not supposed to but do plenty of recruiting. Close to half of the 22 starting positions are filled by transfers.

I am not saying they do or accusing. I was just wondering if it was allowed. I am ignorant of private school rules. After asking about Brookville I looked up the score and it looks as though LCA is peaking.

Congrats to Brookville. Obviously they are good every year and a program. From what I have seen of Botetourt and I am not an expert a team will have to be able to spread them out and limit their possessions via short pass and runs and stretch them with speed some. Heritage may have a chance or one of the Eastern teams.

Reactions: Mike777VSP
While they are private, as per VHSL rules they are obviously not supposed to but do plenty of recruiting. Close to half of the 22 starting positions are filled by transfers.
Please clarify what you mean by "transfers." Do you mean they transferred to LCA after beginning high school elsewhere or, do you mean they have not been at LCA since Kindergarten since LCA is a K-12 school?

Please clarify what you mean by "transfers." Do you mean they transferred to LCA after beginning high school elsewhere or, do you mean they have not been at LCA since Kindergarten since LCA is a K-12 school?
As in they weren’t at LCA last year. Some weren’t at LCA as recently as last semester.

This has been discussed at great length in the past. I do believe that VHSL out some restrictions in LCA when they were okayed to play public schools

This has been discussed at great length in the past. I do believe that VHSL out some restrictions in LCA when they were okayed to play public schools
Restrictions issued does not mean restrictions followed. Yes this has been discussed at length in the past but resurfacing again, due to the sheer quantity of transfers(again, almost half of all starting positions). And sure there are programs that are just so successful, have won so many state titles, that kids just flock to them(I’d hardly put LCA in that category as they went 7-4 last year and 4-7 the year before that) but even those schools don’t seem to feature as many transfers as LCA does this year.

Restrictions issued does not mean restrictions followed. Yes this has been discussed at length in the past but resurfacing again, due to the sheer quantity of transfers(again, almost half of all starting positions). And sure there are programs that are just so successful, have won so many state titles, that kids just flock to them(I’d hardly put LCA in that category as they went 7-4 last year and 4-7 the year before that) but even those schools don’t seem to feature as many transfers as LCA does this year.
I believe one of those restrictions was on campus housing.

As long as the athlete pays tuition and has passing grades, they are good to go. There are no residence moves required as with public high school transfers.

As long as the athlete pays tuition and has passing grades, they are good to go. There are no residence moves required as with public high school transfers.
The VHSL site says in rule 28-6-1 that students must have a bonafide change of address to the district to which they're transferring or sit out of all activities for 365 days. That said, I think the discussion is more around how and why an athlete would choose to transfer in the first place - totally fine if on their own volition, not so much if approached or prodded by someone with any association whatsoever with the program. So when a program(LCA) that was formerly allowed to recruit/scholarship has upwards of 15 very talented kids transfer in less than 12 months it's hard to imagine it not being a result of a coordinated effort.

Last edited:
Kids transfer all the time now from little on up through college. LCA does have the reputation of recruiting but that was when there was a tie in to attending LU. They have several players that were at JF on their roster. JF also had an assistant coach start coaching at LCA too. Not saying recruiting but kids/parents could be following said coach. Also, transferring is the "hip" thing to do now right!? :(

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
I know that they still have at least one fifth year senior playing. Transferred in years ago and they help him back a grade.
Yea, they have been known for recruiting.

I know that they still have at least one fifth year senior playing. Transferred in years ago and they help him back a grade.
Yea, they have been known for recruiting.
I'm sorry but I'm not a fan of LCA. They have advantages, its just not fair. I will be cheering for Heritage this Friday night.

I'm sorry but I'm not a fan of LCA. They have advantages, its just not fair. I will be cheering for Heritage this Friday night.
Wow. I feel like we need to mark this down in the memories.

Hard to believe all these kids that transferred moved into the Heritage school zone(with the exception of the one(s) that transferred from Heritage.

Not gonna lie, I do like what I see out of LCA's team, and it brings added competition to the district. I just know that If Heritage wins this game Friday, turn the Radio dial to 102.1 FM to hear Coach Bradley's postgame comments. I'm sure he'll have plenty to say, and IM HERE FOR ALL OF IT!😂

The VHSL site says in rule 28-6-1 that students must have a bonafide change of address to the district to which they're transferring or sit out of all activities for 365 days. That said, I think the discussion is more around how and why an athlete would choose to transfer in the first place - totally fine if on their own volition, not so much if approached or prodded by someone with any association whatsoever with the program. So when a program(LCA) that was formerly allowed to recruit/scholarship has upwards of 15 very talented kids transfer in less than 12 months it's hard to imagine it not being a result of a coordinated effort.
That is true on the VHSL rule, however private schools, such as LCA do not have a "district" and declare an "attendance zone" therefore VHSL cannot hold LCA to this particular rule. VHSL rule 28A-7-3 (10) says "The first time during high school that a student transfers without a corresponding parent move between a member public school and a member non-public school in the non-public school's declared attendance zone, the student is exempted from the normal one-year eligibility delay for such transfers." Thus students becoming immediately eligible.

Doesn't mean that I agree with this rule, but it is there and protects LCA. Now if coaches from LCA actively talk to or encourage athletes about coming, that is a violation of another rule. Personally I feel like their facilities give them an unfair edge in drawing the top area athletes. Who wouldn't want to train and play at those facilities?

Reactions: CVAfootballfan
Most schools don’t have to recruit, kids are going to follow other kids, coaches, and most importantly, winning. LCA has one of the best players in the nation and one of the best athletes in the state in Lane, both will be back next year. It also helps that they play in the nicest stadium in the state of Virginia and their facilities and academics are first class. I’m not a big fan of the transfer market in high school or college, but to each its own.

Reactions: lyhsports
a lot of teams in the Seminole benefit from transfers, whether it’s a bonafide move or just an “address change” it is now something you will anticipate. If you want your child to get looks go the school with the best player in arguably the state and east coast you will get some attention if you perform. It’s a business decision you have to choose wisely.

That's not true. The VHSL places zoning restrictions on LCA as well. The Heritage zone is now Heritage/LCA zone. You are supposed to physically reside within a certain area of Lynchburg in order to be Sligo for sports at LCA.

Glass, Blacksburg, Spotsylvania, Rockingham County, Whitehaven High School(Memphis TN) to name a couple.
Who are the players? I forgot about the kid that transferred from Glass but that's because he is not a starter. As a matter of fact he doesn't get any playing time at all.

Last edited:
Most schools don’t have to recruit, kids are going to follow other kids, coaches, and most importantly, winning. LCA has one of the best players in the nation and one of the best athletes in the state in Lane, both will be back next year. It also helps that they play in the nicest stadium in the state of Virginia and their facilities and academics are first class. I’m not a big fan of the transfer market in high school or college, but to each its own.
Spot on. When you have the #5 recruit in the nation, every school in the country is going to be at LCA. Want to get recruited to a really good school? Go where the big schools are going.

Spot on. When you have the #5 recruit in the nation, every school in the country is going to be at LCA. Want to get recruited to a really good school? Go where the big schools are going.
I'm truly not making a judgement one way or another, just an observation. The bottom line is they are there and it's near impossible, as someone already noted, for the VHSL to investigate to find out whether or not recruiting went on. More than anything I just found it ironic that the coach that went from JF to LCA spent years griping about how much he hated LCA because of recruiting.

I'm truly not making a judgement one way or another, just an observation. The bottom line is they are there and it's near impossible, as someone already noted, for the VHSL to investigate to find out whether or not recruiting went on. More than anything I just found it ironic that the coach that went from JF to LCA spent years griping about how much he hated LCA because of recruiting.
I understand, and very ironic for sure.

Reactions: VolNation85
That's not true. The VHSL places zoning restrictions on LCA as well. The Heritage zone is now Heritage/LCA zone. You are supposed to physically reside within a certain area of Lynchburg in order to be Sligo for sports at LCA.
You are correct, which is why I said that LCA has an "attendance zone" and copied VHSL's rule regarding students making the move from a public school to a private school and that they become immediately eligible as long as they live within the private schools declared attendance zone.

Reactions: VolNation85
LCA didn't beat Brookville because of their transfers they beat them up and down the field all night because they were better prepared for that game. You could tell LCA just flat out wanted it more. Great season for the Bees though in winning the Seminole.

LCA didn't beat Brookville because of their transfers they beat them up and down the field all night because they were better prepared for that game. You could tell LCA just flat out wanted it more. Great season for the Bees though in winning the Seminole.
I would have to agree with you.

While I’m not an LCA fan for reasons listed above I will say (according to my son) there was lots of “talk” after the first game when the Bees won.
Im sure that provided good motivation to prepare for this past weeks game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT