ADVERTISEMENT

Buffalo Gap @ Riverheads

Xcross

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Aug 24, 2010
The Bison appear to be peaking at the right time . They looked really strong and imo will give the Big Red Machine all they want . Really hard to beat the same team twice and with the Gladiators having two weeks of slack time , this one could come down to the upset of the year ! Any thoughts on this one ?

The Bison appear to be peaking at the right time . They looked really strong and imo will give the Big Red Machine all they want . Really hard to beat the same team twice and with the Gladiators having two weeks of slack time , this one could come down to the upset of the year ! Any thoughts on this one ?
Gap is improved from the last meeting, but so is Riverheads. 42-14 Riverheads

Gap is improved from the last meeting, but so is Riverheads. 42-14 Riverheads
That score sounds about right, last game we played them 42 to 0, and gap is playing alot better and is a rival, but alot more on the line this time, rhs may be a little rusty from being off 2 weeks and then turkey day, so gap better score early if they want to, before rhs wakes up and make adjustments, GO BIG RED

That score sounds about right, last game we played them 42 to 0, and gap is playing alot better and is a rival, but alot more on the line this time, rhs may be a little rusty from being off 2 weeks and then turkey day, so gap better score early if they want to, before rhs wakes up and make adjustments, GO BIG RED
I think it will be close . The Bison are confident and not making many mistakes . They maybe should have saved this past effort Riverheads . They could be the 2nd best team in all of 1A ? They are running the same stuff Riverheads runs and very well at that . JMO

I have no doubt that BG will be ready and will give a maximum effort. One thing to keep in mind is that Riverheads shut them out but the Bison were inside the five yard line at least twice, so that score was a tad deceiving. I certainly don't see the Bison winning this one, but it should be closer than the first one and the Gladiators might need another one of their halftime "chats" to guarantee the victory.

Reactions: Bama1985
Gap will have to play a perfect game with no turnovers, and Riverheads will have to turn the ball over for this game to even be close. Gap has had a good season, good group of seniors on and off the field. Hoping for a good game. Also, can't say the district is weak. Three teams still playing.

Reactions: Coach Chop
Gap will have to play a perfect game with no turnovers, and Riverheads will have to turn the ball over for this game to even be close. Gap has had a good season, good group of seniors on and off the field. Hoping for a good game. Also, can't say the district is weak. Three teams still playing.

Rhs seniors has not lost a game jv or varsity they will be fired up after a long layoff, will prob start off rusty but will make adjustments, GO BIG RED

I look for a tight game early with a potential TO. Game will open up from mid 2nd quarter on. Gap is better than some give them credit for but just do not have depth. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a pass to their tall WR for a jump ball TD. He has the size and decent hands. Final score 35-15 Gladiators.

Reactions: TS69
I look for a tight game early with a potential TO. Game will open up from mid 2nd quarter on. Gap is better than some give them credit for but just do not have depth. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a pass to their tall WR for a jump ball TD. He has the size and decent hands. Final score 35-15 Gladiators.
Rhs might run the score up a little since there was some bulletin board material coming from the gap side, like the rock said don't sing it bring it, and you better bring there A game plus some in this game, or could be a higher scoring game than the last game, GO BIG RED

Reactions: MT FAN 91
Rhs might run the score up a little since there was some bulletin board material coming from the gap side, like the rock said don't sing it bring it, and you better bring there A game plus some in this game, or could be a higher scoring game than the last game, GO BIG RED
Fill us in on the Bulletin board material.

Bison fans in the Dollar Store this morning running their mouth . They guarantee a win over Riverheads . Apparently they have news plays that Riverheads can not defend ! WOW , we shall see ?

Bison fans in the Dollar Store this morning running their mouth . They guarantee a win over Riverheads . Apparently they have news plays that Riverheads can not defend ! WOW , we shall see ?
I'll be shocked if they score more than 10 much less win. I haven't seen much at all BigRed can't defend mabey if Gap has fully abandoned the run game and is all pass they might sneak a few. But we all know that's not happening.

If they can pass effectively in the wind we have in G’ville right now, then they deserve to win. Thing is they do several other things really well too. IMO it will be a closer game than what most people are thinking.

They might have all the new plays that football has ever seen but that will not answer the question of how they stop Riverheads and its many weapons.

The final was 37-0 as the Big Red shut out the Bison for the second time this season. Many folks had said this game would be closer than the first one and it was by five points as you can see. But in all fairness to the Bison it was a little closer than the score might sound as they kept RHS out of the end zone for the entire second and third quarters, after Cayden Cook-Cash tallied three scores in the first quarter to get the party started.

Well technically, senior running back Aidan Miller got things rolling with an opening kickoff return that carried all the way to the Bison 38. He momentarily looked as if he might go the distance but until I see the replay I am not sure if the turf tripped him up or perhaps he ran into a teammate.

But whatever the case, Triple C then needed just one play as he rumbled off left tackle and covered the 38 yards for the first of his four TDs on the evening, and with just 20 seconds elapsed, the Gladiators were on top 7-0.

The Bison then moved into RHS territory on their first possession, but things got a little crazy as the teams swapped false starts and offside penalties for something like four plays in a row. Eventually the Bison turned it over on downs and Riverheads began its second TD drive.

CCC scored that one on pure determination as he ramrodded the ball in to the end zone from 18 yards out simply by dragging 3 or 4 tacklers with him for the last half of the run. Things then went from bad to worse for the Bison when they failed to field the ensuing pooch kick, and Riverheads covered it. That led to CCC's third TD of the first quarter as he swept left end for about 15 yards and barely squeaked inside the pylon.

At that point, it looked as if RHS would roll even easier than they did out at the Gap but the defenses took over for the next two quarters. You could argue that Riverheads played even better defense this time around because the Bison not only failed to find the end zone but I don't think they even made it into the red zone.

But to hold the potent RHS offense scoreless for the next two quarters speaks volumes for BG's defense as well. Speaking of their defense, a fumble recovery in RHS territory gave the Bison one of their two best opportunities to score as they pounced on the loose ball around the Gladiator 35 with about a minute and a half to go in quarter number two.

They had two timeouts in their pocket, but oddly did not use either one of them and failed to move the ball at all as the quarter ended surprisingly quickly and the teams headed to the locker rooms with the score still at 21-0. The Bison then had their second best chance to score when they took the third quarter kickoff, and held on to the ball for 7 minutes, finally giving it up on downs around the Gladiator 30. So if you are an "if only" Bison fan, you might say that if they had managed to score both those times, we could have been looking at a one-score game heading into the fourth quarter.

Instead the bottom fell out for the visitors on the final play of the third when the Gladiators blocked a punt and almost covered it in the end zone for a touchdown. They were happy to settle for the safety which made it 23-0.

Then on the first play of the fourth, Mr. Miller was back in business and this time he did not trip at all as he took the rather short free kick to the house from about 45 yards out to make it 30-0. Moments later, the Gladiators had the ball once again and this time CCC ran it in untouched from about 35 yards out to make the final count 37-0. Of course our reliable place kicker Cooper Robson had connected on all five PATs.

If there was another odd statistic to this game, it was that neither team completed a pass to my recollection. But you can probably blame the weather for that as each team was content to not challenge the stiff breeze very much and instead grind it out on the ground. I would say you could count on one hand the total number of passes that were even attempted.

Obviously Triple C and Miller had the better stats rushing for Riverheads, but the Big Red also got some key runs from Cole Burton and Luke Bryant. On the Bison side, based on the 82 times the PA announcer said his name, it certainly sounded like Dylan Alphin did all he could to bring home the gold for the Bison, so hopefully his supporters took notice of his efforts.

So the Gladiators will be hosting the state semis next Saturday at 1:00 against the Essex/K & Q winner, whereas the Bison should still be happy with their first season at the 1-A level. I am not sure how much returning talent they will have next year, but it is a pretty safe bet that this will not be the last Region B final that will feature these two rivals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bama1985
Great recap and I was wrong on my preview for sure. I did not realize that the big WR for Gap had gotten hurt last week so that took away a part of their game right there. Also I hope the RB that got injured is doing well. Not sure exactly what happened on that one but he could not put pressure on his foot as he was being helped off. Hope for a speedy recovery for him

As to the actual game itself, I feel like this one had the beginning of some heat back in the series with both teams getting a smidge chippy for a short period. Pretty sure that got regulated on the field by a few players (much to the chagrin of those announcing the game on the radio) but the extra curricular stuff did cost a huge run to be called back and that resulted in a punt on that series as well. I would expect that familiarity and the smack talk leading up to this one may have contributed to a few reactions but overall it was a good clean game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT