ADVERTISEMENT

can a jr play jv football?

skynard1

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 12, 2009
a few years ago i saw a aaa school drop some jr's down and play in jv games! can this still be done legally under vhsl rules?

Yes, even a senior can play unless he hits a certain age before a certain date. but when a team using a jr or sr on JV they are not doing much for building a program. I'd play 8th grader before I'd play upper classman. they upper classman ain't gonna help you in the long term where as the 8th grader might.

I'm glad you guys know because I don't have a clue. I looked through the VHSL handbook and never did find it.

My area is the rules for the game on the field. All the things that are handled by administrators and that crowd are outside my area.

I was coaching JV in another sport once, and I noticed the opponent had a really good player, who appeared to be varsity material. I asked what grade and was told 11th. Being young and dumb, I went to the ref and said I was playing game under protest. he said "what grounds coach", I informed him that Team X was playing a 11th grader. He says "you are right coach" and notified official scorekeeper and made proper notation in scorebooks. The next day I informed the Principal that game was played under protest. he pulled out VHSL book and I was somewhat embrassed.

I have nothing in writing to address this, but many programs in the NOVA area play juniors on JV. Some even forgo the term "JV" and call the team "developmental" instead. I think it is quite common. And as for playing an 8th grader on JV over a junior, unless that kid is very developmentally/physically advanced you could be asking for injury. Most 13 year olds are just physically not ready to play football with 15-17 year olds. I cannot speak for all JV teams across Virginia, but the size and strength of a lot of the JV teams up north would preclude a lot of 9th graders from playing, never mind 8th graders (who are not on HS teams in NOVA anyway).

Eigth graders cannot play varsity anywhere in Va. Once you enter the ninth grade you have 8 semesters to play varsity sports or turn 19 before August 1 of the school year.

Anywhere in VA?

You mean an 8th grader could not play varsity in any VHSL affiliated public school. Independents and others may allow this. I don't know if they still do this, but I can remember basketball triple headers a few years ago at Roanoke Catholic, 8th grade, then JV, followed by Varsity. Some kids that played in the 8th grade game then also played in the JV, some JV's then also played later in the Varsity game. I believe , but not sure positively, that more than one year there was a RC "8th grader" that played in both the JV and V games same night.

I didn't think so, and have not ever heard of that in the public schools. But without proof I wasn't about to unequivocally contradict the original poster.

This from the VHSl web site. Rule 28-2-2.
(2) Eighth-grade students who passed five 8th grade subjects the past school year (see
Note following 28-4-1 (b)) and reached the age of fifteen on or before the first day of August may compete on the varsity level.
If an eight grader did this, then they would only have three years to play varsity sports. Would be 19 before the start of their senior year or maybe before they go to the tenth grade. How many kids would qualify for this?
eek.gif

This post was edited on 11/11 9:36 PM by bowlingref

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT