ADVERTISEMENT

Can any team 4 - peat this year?

redzone4us

VaPreps Rookie
Dec 3, 2012
Just wondering, of the 4 teams (Westfield, Highland Springs, Salem, & Appomattox) that won their 3rd state championship in a row in 2017, which of the 4 teams has the best chance to win their 4th in a row in 2018. seems that winning 3 in a row is hard to do, but not too uncommon. however, winning 4 in row is pretty difficult. anyone care to list in order who has the best chance to 4 - peat? I'd say odds are that none of them will, but who knows.

Don't think it's Salem . Salem has done the threepeat twice. The first time they did it was 98,99,2000 but they didn't win another until 2004 (they repeated in 2005) and then there was a ten year gap. Don't look for a ten year gap but I don't see Salem winning it next year.

Don't think it's Salem . Salem has done the threepeat twice. The first time they did it was 98,99,2000 but they didn't win another until 2004 (they repeated in 2005) and then there was a ten year gap. Don't look for a ten year gap but I don't see Salem winning it next year.
I do! I always see Salem winning it! You only live up to your highest expectations.

Westfield and Highland Springs are favored to do it
I agree WF and HS are easily the two with the best chances (out of those four teams) to win four in a row. HS was not a senior laden team and supposedly has some talent on the way up. WF will return 65-70% of their top 30 players, including every single skill position on offense, the center, and a handful of younger players on both side of the ball that saw reasonable playing time but did not start. Although they will have to fill several spots on both lines I have been told there is underclass talent that can help there.

I agree WF and HS are easily the two with the best chances (out of those four teams) to win four in a row. HS was not a senior laden team and supposedly has some talent on the way up. WF will return 65-70% of their top 30 players, including every single skill position on offense, the center, and a handful of younger players on both side of the ball that saw reasonable playing time but did not start. Although they will have to fill several spots on both lines I have been told there is underclass talent that can help there.
Springs probably returns about 18-20 starters. They’ll be the favorite in 5a. Don’t know how many freshmen they’ll get from John Rolfe Middle but Springs and Varina (both schools get Rolfe students) will be talent rich for a while. So in other words, the rich gets richer. Springs legitimately has the opportunity to come out of the 804 yearly, mostly depending on what happens at Bird and Herm and how the young talent at Varina progresses.

As long as Loren Johnson is at Highland Springs, they will be in the hunt for a state title. He has built something special. The parts were always there, and once they got that first title they are rolling and won't look back. Great players, great coaching and community support.

Only two teams have ever won 4 in a row. HS has the potential to win 5 or 6. That being said there are a lot of great teams in the way

As long as Loren Johnson is at Highland Springs, they will be in the hunt for a state title. He has built something special. The parts were always there, and once they got that first title they are rolling and won't look back. Great players, great coaching and community support.

Only two teams have ever won 4 in a row. HS has the potential to win 5 or 6. That being said there are a lot of great teams in the way

Honestly the chance that HSHS 4 peats in class 5 IMO is probably 70% or higher.

Reactions: Twan804 and OCBoy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT