ADVERTISEMENT

Can anyone dethrone the Monacan girls

AntGZee

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Gold Member
Nov 30, 2015
This will be a tall task to say the least. I believe Monacan will cut the nets down for the 3rd time in a row. I would love to see a Princess Anne vs Monacan game. It's just too bad that they are in two different classifications.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
William Fleming's girl IMO had the best chance but I question their consistency and I just don't think anyone in 4a can see Monacan. I heard that Millbrook's girls team is looking good but they are also pretty young. I agree Ant, 3 peat is in sight.

Reactions: AntGZee
DSH, I have seen Monacan play the last two year. I really believe whoever plays them will be in a whole heap of trouble. I think the Lady Chiefs have about 3 D1 players on the team. Dream match up would be Princess Anne. Those two are perhaps the two best girl teams in Va. Sometimes I wish that we were back in the old format of A, AA, AAA.

I think WF lost to Monacan last year by about 40 points. It may be the same outcome if they meet up again.

DSH, I have seen Monacan play the last two year. I really believe whoever plays them will be in a whole heap of trouble. I think the Lady Chiefs have about 3 D1 players on the team. Dream match up would be Princess Anne. Those two are perhaps the two best girl teams in Va. Sometimes I wish that we were back in the old format of A, AA, AAA.
I miss A, AA, and AAA. Quality of ball was a lot better. Too many champions now.

Carroll Co would get beat by 40 + if they played Monacan.

I don't want to be redundant so I wont repeat everything I said in other threads. In laymens terms, aint nobody in 4A gonna beat the lady chiefs this year. If for some reason they are in a scramble, Megan Walker can put up 30 whenever she wants.
Cosby 3 peated as 6A state champions and we beat them by 40pts with subs in most of the second half.

I think the game to watch is actually the PA - Highland Springs game that is looming in a few weeks. That will be the best HS game all year maybe even including the boys bracket. HSHS is undefeated and winning games convincingly and has a bone to pick with PA for last years state title game.

Princess Anne did beat Highland Springs pretty bad last year. I can see HSHS wanting to have some get back. One thing that works in HSHS favor, is the fact that Godiva Hubbard graduated.

It'll be fun to watch the Lady Chiefs. I think it's atrocious that they have to go way to Salem to play but champions do what they have to do to win. If they were to play Fleming it may be closer than 40 just because Fleming will be closer to home. NOBODY in 4a will beat Monacan! I hope to see Huguenot too! Robinson, who's signed with my VCU Rams, is a very good player as well.

It'll be fun to watch the Lady Chiefs. I think it's atrocious that they have to go way to Salem to play but champions do what they have to do to win. If they were to play Fleming it may be closer than 40 just because Fleming will be closer to home. NOBODY in 4a will beat Monacan! I hope to see Huguenot too! Robinson, who's signed with my VCU Rams, is a very good player as well.

I can tell you Hugenot is a good team they just took a while to figure themselves out and had to play Monacan in the sec round. There season came to an end tonight but I think they might have went far in another confrence. They actually played us tough and were our stiffest public high school opponent this year

I can tell you Hugenot is a good team they just took a while to figure themselves out and had to play Monacan in the sec round. There season came to an end tonight but I think they might have went far in another confrence. They actually played us tough and were our stiffest public high school opponent this year
I read in the RTD that they gave y'all a good game a week or so ago. Robinson and Walker went at it all night. Robinson is going to be good in our women's program. She doesn't back down.

Don't feel like Robinson got nearly the attention she deserved throughout her High School Career. Freshman year took a team that only won 2 games the season prior to the State Semifinals. The years following may not have been as successful as the first, but they were competitive in a very competitive league having to play Monacan, LC Bird and Cosby 2 times each every year. Even this year after losing 3 of their starter from last year's team still was able to fight with Monacan in 2 of the 3 games they played and took a decent Cosby Team to Double OT. Robinson averaged 27 ppg this year facing a double team/ box and one every night and finished her career with over 2000 Total Points. I am very excited that VCU was able to keep some of Richmond's Talent Home and hope to see this occur more in the future. Just wish she had been given a little more recognition

Don't feel like Robinson got nearly the attention she deserved throughout her High School Career. Freshman year took a team that only won 2 games the season prior to the State Semifinals. The years following may not have been as successful as the first, but they were competitive in a very competitive league having to play Monacan, LC Bird and Cosby 2 times each every year. Even this year after losing 3 of their starter from last year's team still was able to fight with Monacan in 2 of the 3 games they played and took a decent Cosby Team to Double OT. Robinson averaged 27 ppg this year facing a double team/ box and one every night and finished her career with over 2000 Total Points. I am very excited that VCU was able to keep some of Richmond's Talent Home and hope to see this occur more in the future. Just wish she had been given a little more recognition

Exactly, very well said... The Dominon District for the last 5 years might have been the most competitive of any sport on the boys or girls side when it comes to girls b-ball. Midlo had some great teams as well. At least 4 programs in 1 district that are legitimate state championship contenders every year. I said it before if you dropped Huguenot in another conference there is a good chance they run through it. Robinson just happened to be here in a time with Megan Walker and several other premium talents. What she and the Falcons have been able to accomplish is certainly noteworthy. In other districts she would be the best player. She can hold her own with anybody. I hope she crushes it in college. Girls basketball in the state of VA and especially in the 804 might be the best its ever been right now.

On another note I do think Kings Fork will present a challenge to Monacan tonight. However I expect the Lady Chiefs to come away with a double digit win.

I thought Monacan was playing Lake Taylor. I wish that I had a chance to see Robinson play. I'm hearing that she's one heck of a ballplayer.

I thought Monacan was playing Lake Taylor. I wish that I had a chance to see Robinson play. I'm hearing that she's one heck of a ballplayer.

Monacan beat Lake Taylor easily last night by 30+. They play KF tonight

Hopefully Will Wade can do the same thing. We have a very good recruiting class coming but after Johnny Williams leaves next year we won't have any RVA talent on our team. Hopefully we can get Isaiah Todd. Coach O'Boyle, our women's coach is doing a good job. Robinson is one hell of a player and we're happy to have her.

Last edited:
Hopefully Will Wade can do the same thing. We have a very good recruiting class coming but after Johnny Williams leaves next year we won't have any RVA talent on our team. Hopefully we can get Isaiah Todd. Coach O'Boyle, our women's coach is doing a good job. Robinson is one hell of a player and we're happy to have her.

@DanvilleSportsHead I wouldn't think VCU has much of a chance at Isiah Todd. I am predicting TX for him. Shaka can probably get any Richmond recruit he wants.

@DanvilleSportsHead I wouldn't think VCU has much of a chance at Isiah Todd. I am predicting TX for him. Shaka can probably get any Richmond recruit he wants.
I love Shaka to death and follow him and Texas closely but I doubt he'll be in Austin when Todd commits. Read the Texas boards, they want him out now. I just hope Wade stays. Grant, Chapel and Shaka have shown that the grass ain't all that much greener on the other side. One more deep run in the tournament and Shaka will probably be a distant memory in a lot of people in Richmond's minds. Shaka is a hell of a coach but he let a lot of his guys down. I appreciate all he did for my school and I know its business but I couldn't play for a guy that let a University that gave him the world down and pretty much said that the guys that went to war for him were inferior recruits.

Last edited:
I love Shaka to death and follow him and Texas closely but I doubt he'll be in Austin when Todd commits. Read the Texas boards, they want him out now. I just hope Wade stays. Grant, Chapel and Shaka have shown that the grass ain't all that much greener on the other side. One more deep run in the tournament and Shaka will probably be a distant memory in a lot of people in Richmond's minds. Shaka is a hell of a coach but he let a lot of his guys down. I appreciate all he did for my school and I know its business but I couldn't play for a guy that let a University that gave him the world down and pretty much said that the guys that went to war for him were inferior recruits.

I didn't realize TX already wanted him out. Isiah Todd would maybe be the biggest recruit in VCU history if they can pull that off WOW!

I didn't realize TX already wanted him out. Isiah Todd would maybe be the biggest recruit in VCU history if they can pull that off WOW!
Yessssir! If he doesn't produce then we could see him fired by this time next year. You know their boosters dictate there. Hope that's not the case but hey it is what it is. Just like they did Strong there. I doubt they ever find a coach to exceed their grandiose expectations down there.

Last edited:
The 2017 class is up to #15 on the ESPN rankings and they got another top 100 recruit for the class of 2018. Wade is one hell of a recruiter and we have a very solid coaching staff. Have you ever been in the new basketball development center on Marshall St.? I see why kids want to come to RVA to play!

I watched William Fleming at Millbrook this week. Bates was nowhere near 100% for WF. I thought the teams were even. Millbrook will battle but they are a year away.

I watched William Fleming at Millbrook this week. Bates was nowhere near 100% for WF. I thought the teams were even. Millbrook will battle but they are a year away.
I'd like to see Millbrook play Monacan. Monacan would win by 20+ but I'm hearing Millbrook will be the team to beat for the next 3-4 years.

@mbonape1 can't decide whether to catch the Norcom at John Marshall game or the 5a games at Herm. Have you seen Salem VA Beach or lady Spingers? I really wanted to see Bird play Hampton but they have Bethel instead. The game at Herm is more bang for your buck but I didn't want to see any blowouts.

Salem from Va Bch, must be legit. They did beat Princess Anne a few days ago. I know Princess Anne graduated Godiva Hubbard, so PA is a different team than last year. Dozier is a good a good coach. He will have his girls ready yet again.

I know that the Lady Springers are the real deal.
Oh yes! They and Monacan's girls could beat some boys teams. I'd like to see that Marshall/Norcom game as well. 6+ D1 guys on the court. I really wish the 3a East boys tourney was at a neutral site like 3a West so we could see both games. I have my money that George Wythe is gonna end Norcom's championship streak this year. 3a is very top heavy. Norcom, Marshall, Wythe, Spottswood and Northside could take all very well take 3a this year.

I saw some of the game between Spotswood vs Northside. I saw them after Martinsville defeated RE Lee in the prior game. Both Spotswood and Northside are very good. Speaking of Norcom, where did Travis Fields go for college? I have seen him play the last 3 years in Richmond. One heck of a ballplayer. This kid Isaiah Woods, what school does he attend?

I saw some of the game between Spotswood vs Northside. I saw them after Martinsville defeated RE Lee in the prior game. Both Spotswood and Northside are very good. Speaking of Norcom, where did Travis Fields go for college? I have seen him play the last 3 years in Richmond. One heck of a ballplayer. This kid Isaiah Woods, what school does he attend?
Travis Fields plays for ODU now. When my Rams played them this year he got a lot of playing time. And Isaiah Todd? He's the #1 player in the Nation for the class of 2020. He plays for John Marshall. 6'10 with game!

@mbonape1 can't decide whether to catch the Norcom at John Marshall game or the 5a games at Herm. Have you seen Salem VA Beach or lady Spingers? I really wanted to see Bird play Hampton but they have Bethel instead. The game at Herm is more bang for your buck but I didn't want to see any blowouts.

I'd go to see the Marshal / Norcom game. Both of those teams were suppose to win yesterday but didnt. I imagine you should see their best today! 2 heavy weights in the 3A division (which maybe the best in the state year over year)

I think HSHS beats Salem VB but who knows.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT