ADVERTISEMENT

Central 73 East Rock 70 2OT

blackknight_pride

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 27, 2016
Harrisonburg
Best basketball game I’ve seen in person. Central was so impressive down the stretch. East Rock led by 8 at half but everyone other than Nickel cooled off in the second. Both overtimes ended with an East Rock layup at the buzzer to tie it.
Central made some huge plays throughout.

East Rock now has to play John Marshall in the state quarters 😬

Best basketball game I’ve seen in person. Central was so impressive down the stretch. East Rock led by 8 at half but everyone other than Nickel cooled off in the second. Both overtimes ended with an East Rock layup at the buzzer to tie it.
Central made some huge plays throughout.

East Rock now has to play John Marshall in the state quarters 😬
Next up for ER—JM? Ouchy

That won't be pretty for ER.
I agree with you, but I bet Nickel will get his. Kid can score from anywhere on the court, but JM is incredibly good. Absolute elite talent and for a public High School at the Class 2 level, there might not be a more talented public High School (at that size-at JM's small enrollment Class 2 level) in the country. If there is, there is only a handfull.

The game I want to see is Central and Greensville County. I knew JM was elite and a run away favorite to win the state title, but Greensville County is a very good Class 2 team and the 40+ point win for JM absolutely shocked me. I was thinking 17-19 points as having watched Greensville County a couple times this year, I was incredibly impressed with Greensville County to the point that I think they were/still are the second best Class 2 team in the state.

I agree with you, but I bet Nickel will get his. Kid can score from anywhere on the court, but JM is incredibly good. Absolute elite talent and for a public High School at the Class 2 level, there might not be a more talented public High School (at that size-at JM's small enrollment Class 2 level) in the country. If there is, there is only a handfull.

The game I want to see is Central and Greensville County. I knew JM was elite and a run away favorite to win the state title, but Greensville County is a very good Class 2 team and the 40+ point win for JM absolutely shocked me. I was thinking 17-19 points as having watched Greensville County a couple times this year, I was incredibly impressed with Greensville County to the point that I think they were/still are the second best Class 2 team in the state.
Yes I agree that Nickel will get his. Thing is most games he's the only one scoring much for them. As a team, they were better last year when they had the other tall kid to complement Nickel. I see JM winning by at least 30. I think Greensville beats Woodstock as well, but that game will be close. I'm looking forward to the Union and JR game

Yes I agree that Nickel will get his. Thing is most games he's the only one scoring much for them. As a team, they were better last year when they had the other tall kid to complement Nickel. I see JM winning by at least 30. I think Greensville beats Woodstock as well, but that game will be close. I'm looking forward to the Union and JR game
I am somewhat concerned about the frame of mind of the kids at East Rock. That was a massive upset.

I am somewhat concerned about the frame of mind of the kids at East Rock. That was a massive upset.

I wouldn't say massive. Woodstock beat them once already. Then Nickel scored 54 in a career high in game two, nothing you could do about that. Game three was close, East Rock was just better that night. Woodstock is good. Super well coached and can shoot lights out. Fun to watch IMO. I think calling it a massive upset takes away from Central-they had a perfect game plan last night and it worked.

I wouldn't say massive. Woodstock beat them once already. Then Nickel scored 54 in a career high in game two, nothing you could do about that. Game three was close, East Rock was just better that night. Woodstock is good. Super well coached and can shoot lights out. Fun to watch IMO. I think calling it a massive upset takes away from Central-they had a perfect game plan last night and it worked.
massive because instead of being at home in quarter finals they have to travel to JMHS

Reactions: blackknight_pride
When JM smashes ER, does Nickel still get state POY for breaking McClung record?

one thing should have nothing to do with the other
It’s all political sometimes, the most deserving player doesn’t always get the award like they should. Most of the time I think they do, but not always.

It’s all political sometimes, the most deserving player doesn’t always get the award like they should. Most of the time I think they do, but not always.
You're right. Sometimes they take the easy way out in basketball and just give it to the best player on the team that wins the championship

one thing should have nothing to do with the other
I think what BW is getting at is....there's a stud down in Big Stone that buckets 25 points a game and rebounds like a vacuum cleaner. I think Bunch is equally deserving. I know it may not be to popular, but when you factor his defense and rebounding prowess to go with 25 points per game, then he should be in the conversation. That kid can flat out play.
BW, if you weren't hinting at Bunch, then my bad, but I have no issue giving that kid some props. He's solid

There's also this-is Nickel truly the best player? If you put Nickel on John Marshall, how different is his career? I'm not saying he is deserving or not, but it makes it tricky when there is a team just head and shouders above the rest.

IMO, Nickel deserves it. All time leading scorer. Has to be him. However, that doesn't mean he is the best player in Class 2 without a doubt. Just an interesting debate.

There's also this-is Nickel truly the best player? If you put Nickel on John Marshall, how different is his career? I'm not saying he is deserving or not, but it makes it tricky when there is a team just head and shouders above the rest.

IMO, Nickel deserves it. All time leading scorer. Has to be him. However, that doesn't mean he is the best player in Class 2 without a doubt. Just an interesting debate.
That's crazy talk IMO. On Any team, Nickel excels and is the best player on the floor.

I think what BW is getting at is....there's a stud down in Big Stone that buckets 25 points a game and rebounds like a vacuum cleaner. I think Bunch is equally deserving. I know it may not be to popular, but when you factor his defense and rebounding prowess to go with 25 points per game, then he should be in the conversation. That kid can flat out play.
BW, if you weren't hinting at Bunch, then my bad, but I have no issue giving that kid some props. He's solid
Nah not hinting at Bunch, moreso who ever leads JM If they win it all

Reactions: Fairlawncat
That's crazy talk IMO. On Any team, Nickel excels and is the best player on the floor.

Oh I agree don't worry. He is probably the best player in the state regardless of classification. All I am saying is you have to factor in things. If he was on JM, he's probably still the best player on the floor most games-but his numbers would look very different-I would be shocked if he still averaged over 30 but I could be wrong. Just saying I think they factor in situations as well instead of simply giving it to the best player on the best team. Nickel 100% deserves to be POY but I'm not sure what the voting thought process will be.

Reactions: BigWinners

his numbers would go down as he would have to share the ball more but he would have a ton more national exposure.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
his numbers would go down as he would have to share the ball more but he would have a ton more national exposure.
He's a 4 star, top 100 recruit and going to UNC, plus he played for one of the top AAU teams in the country. I'd say he still got plenty of exposure

Reactions: schoolboard
Nickel would still fill up the stat sheet for JM but he may not put up as gaudy of numbers as consistent. He’s athletic, can run the floor, shoot and looks like he shows effort on defense. On a nightly basis does JM play Better talent than ER probably so as I’m going to go on a limb and rank the quality of basketball in the 804 area as stronger than the area where ER located. So I believe the nationally ranked kid from JM would perform at ER and would excel. He would be a mismatch like Nickel and could control the games around inferior competition. It’s an apples to oranges comparison, PoY probably will go to Nickel but if someone who has put up stats as well, their team wins it all, and has dominate performances in the state tournament I can see the award going to someone else.

Reactions: SportsJunkie32
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT