ADVERTISEMENT

Chesterfield schools play some ball in 6A

GilliamRatings

VaPreps All State
Jun 5, 2001
Orange, Virginia
Totally Shocked to see James River beat C.D. Hylton.

James River lost to 5A L.C. Bird 43-6 and tp 5A Manchester 41-13. The Rapids also lost to 5A loser tonight, Douglas Freeman 17-13. Also lost to Monacan (4A) 14-7, so I figured the D6 playoffs would be murder for James River, but they stunned the 1 seed.

They get to play Cosby this week who also surprised me by winning. Cosby lost to Bird, Manchester and Monacan also by scores of 60-0, 26-0 and 39-14 respectively.

Thomas Dale also knocked off a good Riverbend team tonight.

Dale lost to Bird and Cosby earlier in the year. James River beat Cosby earlier in the year.

I think the James River vs. Cosby game will be a good one. Dale will likely have their hands full with Colonial Forge, but the Knights are the strongest of the former Central Region's 6A schools. We'll see.

If you're keeping score for the Chesterfield schools, then with big wins in 5A for Bird and Manchester and Meadowbrook losing to #1 seed Highland Springs by a mere 4 points and Monacan hammering Smithfield in 4A, the county went 6-1 in the first round. Matoaca, Midlothian and Clover Hill failed to qualify for the playoffs.

I think 6A South-West probably has the least chance of any group of winning states, but I think Bird and Manchester are both dangerous in 5A. Monacan is good, but a step below Lake Taylor.

Here's my predictions for this week for the Chesterfield schools:

Not to familiar with 6A South football except for what I saw in last years State Championship when 6A North Centreville beat up on the South rep Smith. I did see Centreville this year destroy Hylton in a pre-season scrimmage so never thought much of Hylton, if they are the number 1 seed in the South than I think the North must be loaded this year. I would predict the 6A and 5A State Champions to come from the North this year with Centreville and Tuscarora being the Champs, but another North team could upset these teams and take the title. Except for Smith, Colonial Forge and Ocean Lakes is there another 6A South team that can compete?

Originally posted by GilliamRatings:
Totally Shocked to see James River beat C.D. Hylton.

When I posted the predictions and somebody posted that there had to be an upset, I kind of felt like this game may be the one. When the few people who do follow Virginia high school football see the name Hylton they automatically think juggernaut team, loaded with size, speed, talent, and kids with college offers. But it is still high school football and when they line up with a gritty unfamiliar opponent like James River anything can happen. Hylton has shown to be a very much beatable team the last few seasons not just in the playoffs, but in the regular season as well. Not a complete juggernaut but Hylton is a team when they do get rocking and rolling they are a tough team to beat.

To beat the Bulldogs though it is ideal for the opposing team to get off to a good start early and strike first, which is what James River did. Tonight was James River night and they really did play a great game.

I've followed Hylton for awhile and I will say this was a really solid team they had this year filled with great moments. I hope coach Lilly and the staff continue to build off the success they have had and keep working toward getting this program back to the state championship. I don't care if it happens in the next year, five year, 50 years... whatever it takes. Great season Hylton

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT