ADVERTISEMENT

Chincoteague?

JoelzDad

VaPreps All District
Feb 14, 2002
Just curious. I'm sure there's a reason. Probably about playing quality opponents, or VHSL opponents., but why is Chincoteague....which is 12th in power points...not playing in the playoffs?

I think there is a minimum amount of VHSL opponents you have to play before you can qualify for the VHSL playoffs.

Which is a good rule, public vs. private needs to be banned altogether. But that's another dog for another day.

Because they choose to play an independent schedule where they can pick and choose their opponents. There was a discussion on this about a month ago or so and one of their supporters said they didn't want to play teams if they had no chance of winning. I think its kind of ridiculous especially when you see a school like Colonial Beach who has about the same enrollment who is year in and year out a pretty consistent team. The Ponies would have easily beaten Northampton this year and probably Arcadia too. Plus there are other schools in Region A that they could have played and been competitive with or beaten as well. But as it is their kids just play a 10 game schedule with no hopes of ever playing in the postseason

I was trying to be nice(r) in my post...but yep, I agree with you 100%.

It is inexcusable that a public school be allowed to pick and choose their schedule like that. Well..let me take that back..they can pick and choose, but it needs to be public schools 100% that they're choosing from. Chincoteague would have made the playoffs this year (2-8 Cumberland would be sitting at home now) and last year (1-9 William Campbell would have been sitting at home) but instead the Ponies would prefer to play "Mom 'n Pop's Bible School". Nothing against private schools at all, but they need to stick to their own type of schools as well.

If Rappahannock County can attempt to play a Varsity schedule against public schools then so can Chincoteague. And trust me, you look at the schools surrounding Rapp Co..they all double them in size and have a lot more talent than Arcadia or Northampton have had for years. There is no reason the Ponies cant play a home and away vs. Arcadia, Northampton, Rapp Co, Nandua, and yes Quantico (I'll keep kicking that dog too lol). That's ten games, 8 of which are probably wins this year. Period.

Public schools really, REALLY need to be banned from playing privates. Look at what it cost my Fighting Blues this year.. all they had to do was play Nelson County (as an example) and they would have 2 playoff home games now. Instead, if they win this week, they have to go on the road next week. All because of scheduling a private school.

It needs to stop before the private schools start chattering about wanting in the VHSL..kind of like Hypocrite Academy in Lynchburg, Va is gunning for right now.

Originally posted by mmqp:

Look at what it cost my Fighting Blues this year.. all they had to do was play Nelson County (as an example) and they would have 2 playoff home games now. Instead, if they win this week, they have to go on the road next week. All because of scheduling a private school.
Just to clarify, Parry McCluer would have actually had a lower rating had they beaten Nelson County this year instead of playing Roanoke Catholic. PM's biggest problem this year was 5 opponents that combined for 5 wins (including three 0-10 teams).

As for Chincoteague & Rapp County, I don't necessarily disagree that they could/should play a schedule of public school teams. I agree that Chincoteague probably would've fared just fine against Northampton, Arcadia, some of the Md. schools that are typical opponents for the shore teams and even some other region A teams that struggled this year. But, as long as they're not arguing that they should make the playoffs by virtue of playing 1 VHSL-recognized opponent, then I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to make their schedule however they want.

VHSL should treat both schools the same way they'd treat out-of-state public schools and not bother including their ratings in their releases, in my opinion, as well.

Ah, I was thinking that PM would get an extra 1.6 points (16 divided by 10) for a win vs. Nelson. I've honestly never sat down and done all the math involved in the formula. My bad. And thanks for the clarification on that.

I still don't like that we played them Roanoke Catholic though. But hey, what can ya do. They're off the schedule next year along with Greenbrier East and are being replaced by Stonewall Jackson-Mt Jackson and Fort Chiswell.

I've head Rapp Co is trying to get back in the VHSL. I assume they're under some sort of probation for not fielding a team in 2011 (?).
This post was edited on 11/10 12:37 PM by mmqp

Altavista fans would agree with that this year. Chatham and Nelson both played Hargrave Academy which leaves no chance of picking up rider points. Nelson most likley would have lost but Chatham could have picked up a winnable game. And those rider points might have gotten them into the #1 seed.

And Parry McCluer could have picked another winnable or maybe a lose to a good 2A/3A team would have gotten them in the top 4.

And on a side note, last year Cumberland would have been out, not William Campbell. 1-9 WCHS was the #14 seed last year.

Originally posted by great state:
But, as long as they're not arguing that they should make the playoffs by virtue of playing 1 VHSL-recognized opponent, then I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to make their schedule however they want.
EXACTLY. If they were whining about playoffs, it would be one thing, but they're not so...why does everyone care so much?

Ah, I was thinking that PM would get an extra 1.6 points (16 divided by 10) for a win vs. Nelson. I've honestly never sat down and done all the math involved in the formula. My bad. And thanks for the clarification on that.

I still don't like that we played them Roanoke Catholic though. But hey, what can ya do. They're off the schedule next year along with Greenbrier East and are being replaced by Stonewall Jackson-Mt Jackson and Fort Chiswell.

I've head Rapp Co is trying to get back in the VHSL. I assume they're under some sort of probation for not fielding a team in 2011 (?).
This post was edited on 11/10 12:37 PM by mmqp
They would've gained 20 from Nelson, but would then have to divide their total by 10 instead of 9. So, instead of 23.3333, would have finished at 23.00000. Fort Chiswell should be a solid opponent next season; Stonewall obviously had their issues this year with low numbers on the team.

As for Rappahannock, I don't think they're on probation, although I know some of the Bull Run schools were aggravated when Rapp County waited until late in the summer to drop the program (think that was 2011). Frankly, I'm not sure it make a ton of sense for Rapp County to jump back in at this point - unlike Chincoteague who may compete with their district opponents, don't see that being the case for the Panthers.

There was a time when Altavista wasn't competetive and they dropped out of the VHSL for football and played an independent schedule. Started from the bottom and built a solid youth program and now look at where they are. Won't happen that way with all teams but dropping out helped Altavista in the long run.

Originally posted by gtownfencecrew:
There was a time when Altavista wasn't competetive and they dropped out of the VHSL for football and played an independent schedule. Started from the bottom and built a solid youth program and now look at where they are. Won't happen that way with all teams but dropping out helped Altavista in the long run.
Yeah, I was trying to remember when that was. 2003 time frame? They still played VHSL schools mixed in with some private schools in those years.

I think getting their current coach is what helped them the most.

You are right though.. Bath County did the same thing back in the mid-80's when Carl Williams took over as head coach. They dropped out of the Pioneer and played mostly West Virginia schools, a couple of private schools (Roanoke Catholic and North Cross) while they learned the Single Wing offense. Altavista also dropped from the Dogwood, but once again they were still playing mostly public schools. VES and Roanoke Catholic were the only two private schools they played.

And that's the difference, Chincoteague has been doing this for years. I wouldn't necessarily have an issue with it, but schools doing things like that is what is allowing 1-9 and 2-8 schools to get in the playoffs. And WP02, THATS where the whining is because you can rest assured after this upcoming week a 2-8 school will get hammered and we'll have a post or posts with subject lines that read "WHY ARE THERE SO MANY TEAMS IN THE PLAYOFFS?? blah blah blah". I will revisit the Chincoteague argument at that time.

As Great State stated, Rapp Co will not be doing themselves a favor by rejoining the Bull Run. I saw them play twice this year (God have mercy on me) and they are the absolute worst team I have ever seen. And trust me, that's saying a LOT because I have seen some bad baaaaad Blues teams play over the years. Consider this, they couldn't beat a glorified JV squad in Grace Christian just to give you an idea. They have a LOT of work to do, but they are at least trying to do it the right way.
This post was edited on 11/10 3:30 PM by mmqp

My thing with Chincoteague and even Rapp County is if they want to play for regional titles in some sports then they need to compete in all sports the same way. Just my two cents

There are schools that simply don't have enough students to compete in every sport. Highland is an example, they don't have enough students to have a football team (and I don't think they field a golf team). But they do field volleyball and cross country teams and they should be able to compete - along with the basketball and soccer teams they field- Rapp County competes in some sports, in fact I think their girls won regional cross country. I don't have a problem with schools deciding not to field teams. Plus once you start that where does it stop, does each level has certain must field teams? (Think tennis for 1A and field hockey or lacrosse for bigger schools).

Talking about Rapp Co cross country.....Julia Wood is a great runner and could be 1A state champ this year.

Originally posted by MrJ82:

And Parry McCluer could have picked another winnable or maybe a lose to a good 2A/3A team would have gotten them in the top 4.

Parry finished with 210 ratings points. To move past Surry, they would've needed 236, so let's see if we can find 26 points.

Losing to a 10-0 6A would be worth 10 + 14, so that won't cut it.

A win is worth 12, so they'd still need 14, which they'd get by beating a 5-win A (William Campbell), a 4-win 2A (Luray, R.E. Lee) or a 3-win 3A (Alleghany or Stuarts Draft).

Sad that Highland doesn't have a golf team anymore. They used to be pretty good. Their head coach owned the golf course up there, Needle's Eye, which is now closed, and two of his kids played on the team.

Can't really blame Parry McCluer.

They played, and beat soundly, Greenbrier East, which is an AAA school in WV with over 1000 kids. They also beat an AA school (which unfortunately went 0-10). Bath and James River's terrible seasons really killed PM's chances to have a higher seed. But if they make it to the quarterfinals against Altavista, I expect it to be a decent game.

Next year PM will be back in the west.

As Great State stated, Rapp Co will not be doing themselves a favor by rejoining the Bull Run. I saw them play twice this year (God have mercy on me) and they are the absolute worst team I have ever seen. And trust me, that's saying a LOT because I have seen some bad baaaaad Blues teams play over the years. Consider this, they couldn't beat a glorified JV squad in Grace Christian just to give you an idea. They have a LOT of work to do, but they are at least trying to do it the right way.

This post was edited on 11/10 3:30 PM by mmqp
The bolded text cracked me up so much for some reason hahaha

Lets just say it was quite an experience...

But my stupidity, the second time I watched them it was at Quantico. I have always wanted to see Quantico play as well...so there's my butt stuck in I-95 traffic on a Friday afternoon trying to go southbound. I left Fairfax City at 4:30 and didn't get to the stadium until 6:45...about 30 miles. Just to watch that debacle.

They'd do themselves a HUGE favor if they adopted a run oriented offense. Chucking moon balls out of bounds on every play aint gonna cut it.

Their basketball team isn't much better from what I've been told. And it got me to thinking about this great idea for a small time Christmas basketball tourney... I was joking with my close friend (Prepspert, where you at?) about this tourney the other day. Six teams: Rapp Co, VSDB, Quantico, Highland, Mount Rogers (do they even have a team anymore???) and either Rockbridge or Parry McCluers JV team...if Mount Rogers declines then both JV squads can show up I guess lol. I'll call it the Little Washington Invitational haha..

On a serious note, didnt Rapp Co used to have some decent wrestling squads?
This post was edited on 11/11 4:39 PM by mmqp

And that's the difference, Chincoteague has been doing this for years. I wouldn't necessarily have an issue with it, but schools doing things like that is what is allowing 1-9 and 2-8 schools to get in the playoffs. And WP02, THATS where the whining is because you can rest assured after this upcoming week a 2-8 school will get hammered and we'll have a post or posts with subject lines that read "WHY ARE THERE SO MANY TEAMS IN THE PLAYOFFS?? blah blah blah". I will revisit the Chincoteague argument at that time.
Wait . . . you're blaming Chincoteague for 2-8 schools making the playoffs!!?? lol I think your point of contention is misplaced. Blame sits on the VHSL for it's ridiculous playoff system.

I'm saying Chincoteague is better than some of the schools that are making the playoffs..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT