ADVERTISEMENT

Class 4 Boys Championship

bgPic123210-2608-7c4sy.g57v6m.jpg

I thought 4 got fouled on the put back I didn’t see him foul. There was no box out I think that was the worse call of the night. Other than that great officiating

That was a very entertaining game and #3 for Glass was worth the price of admission, he is a walking basket. Does anyone know if he is a senior, I hope not I'm looking forward to seeing him next year.

What a battle! Congratulations to Varina! Super proud of my Toppers tonight! Played their hearts out and never quit!
Definitely should hold their heads up high. They played hard the entire game. I've seen a lot of teams fold after being down 7 in the second half. Way to battle

Some thoughts on the game after some time to process:

1. Both teams 100% deserved to be there and fought their hearts out. Varina's size gave Glass some problems and the Hilltoppers committed a few too many turnovers that killed them, but the team never backed down and made it a fantastic game.

2. Varina seemed more experienced from the jump. Naturally, the Glass players seemed nervous (playing in a state title game) and started out slow on both ends. I think they caught a great break that Varina only took a 10-2 lead before the Hilltoppers settled in. From there, the rust was off and it was epic.

3. O'maundre Harris is him. Silky smooth midrange jumper kept them in it in the first half, commanded the team fantastic and played stifiling defense on the Varina guards all night. His leadership really helped the rest of the Hilltopper supporting cast gain confidence and put together their huge 3rd quarter run after falling behind 35-26.

4. Varina responded extremely well. Suddenly finding themselves down 1 with under a minute left, the Devils played a perfect game down the stretch. Hit timely free throws, secured the big boards when they needed and overall earned another state title the hard way. Congrats to them, back to back in Class 4 is something to remember.

5. The officiating was fantastic overall, just felt bad that the game was kind of decided on a bad call. All night, I thought the refs were consistent and did a good job of letting the kids play while also controlling the game to the extent that they should. That being said, I thought Glass should have been shooting two FTs for the win on the putback, instead got called for an offensive foul. Alas, no one if perfect. Overall, great job by the officials tonight.

Congrats to Varina and EC Glass on great seasons. Safe to say this is Glass's best team in recent memory, and back to back titles for Varina goes in the history books!

Some thoughts on the game after some time to process:

1. Both teams 100% deserved to be there and fought their hearts out. Varina's size gave Glass some problems and the Hilltoppers committed a few too many turnovers that killed them, but the team never backed down and made it a fantastic game.

2. Varina seemed more experienced from the jump. Naturally, the Glass players seemed nervous (playing in a state title game) and started out slow on both ends. I think they caught a great break that Varina only took a 10-2 lead before the Hilltoppers settled in. From there, the rust was off and it was epic.

3. O'maundre Harris is him. Silky smooth midrange jumper kept them in it in the first half, commanded the team fantastic and played stifiling defense on the Varina guards all night. His leadership really helped the rest of the Hilltopper supporting cast gain confidence and put together their huge 3rd quarter run after falling behind 35-26.

4. Varina responded extremely well. Suddenly finding themselves down 1 with under a minute left, the Devils played a perfect game down the stretch. Hit timely free throws, secured the big boards when they needed and overall earned another state title the hard way. Congrats to them, back to back in Class 4 is something to remember.

5. The officiating was fantastic overall, just felt bad that the game was kind of decided on a bad call. All night, I thought the refs were consistent and did a good job of letting the kids play while also controlling the game to the extent that they should. That being said, I thought Glass should have been shooting two FTs for the win on the putback, instead got called for an offensive foul. Alas, no one if perfect. Overall, great job by the officials tonight.

Congrats to Varina and EC Glass on great seasons. Safe to say this is Glass's best team in recent memory, and back to back titles for Varina goes in the history books!
Respectfully, one call doesn’t decide the game. But the initial contact by #4(push w/ extension) I can live with that call. He fell backward trying to get the put back. Hell of a game regardless. Much respect for Glass as a whole, fans included.

Respectfully, one call doesn’t decide the game. But the initial contact by #4(push w/ extension) I can live with that call. He fell backward trying to get the put back. Hell of a game regardless. Much respect for Glass as a whole, fans included.

Totally fair. After seeing the other angle, it looked like the correct call to me. I do not think the officiating decided the game as a whole last night, just initially thought that it was a bad call and that the call should have given Glass two FTs down one instead of Varina two FTs to go up 3. I was wrong! Both teams played well enough to win, Varina just made the bigger plays in the end.

Last edited:
That would makes sense that people would think that. Most people automatically assume bigger school= better team and that's not always true. Plus, Varina hasn't played predominately 5A/6A teams all year. They have only played two 5A teams in HSHS and LC Bird. Glass has played LC Bird and 6A Franklin County, and three other teams that are in the championship game this year. Seems like Glass has had the much tougher schedule and better competition this year.
Glass played a really tough Seminole schedule playing Rustburg twice. Glass does not belong in the Seminole. They are a class 5 school playing teams that should be in class 2.

Glass is C4 and has been for several years.
I know they are a class 4 team. Just like LCA is a Class 3 team. Both do not belong in the Seminole District. with small Class 3 teams. The VHSL has this district crap all wrong now. Just look at how John Marshall pounded the last three schools they played in the state tournament. In basketball they used to play in Class 5. The VHSL has done the district alignment deal more travel than they have equality in competition among the schools.

I know they are a class 4 team. Just like LCA is a Class 3 team. Both do not belong in the Seminole District. with small Class 3 teams. The VHSL has this district crap all wrong now. Just look at how John Marshall pounded the last three schools they played in the state tournament. In basketball they used to play in Class 5. The VHSL has done the district alignment deal more travel than they have equality in competition among the schools.

Some of the Class 3 schools in the Seminole are small, granted, but overall it's pretty balanced enrollment wise.

C4:
EC Glass is at 1020 students
Jefferson Forest 952
Amherst is at 931

C3:
Heritage 813
Brookville 711
Rustburg 595

C2:
Liberty 551
LCA 450

Glass is the biggest school in the Seminole, but the smallest C5 school is Potomac Falls at 1205. There are 33 C4 schools with more students than Glass, they are through and through a middle of the pack C4 school.

Rustburg, LCA and Liberty are certainly at a disadvantage enrollment-wise, I'll give you that. The others are all on pretty even playing field.

The problem is if you make significant changes to the overall system, it creates new issues. What works for one sport may not work at all for another sport. What works for one area of the state may not work at all for another area. Changes to districts may increase competition, but also increase travel expense and missed classroom instruction.

Some localities allow for a student to live in one zone and attend school in a different zone, some do not. Some attend Magnet schools or Governor's schools that don't have sports teams, and they are allowed to compete in whichever city or county school they choose. There is no one size fits all system. There are too many variables involved to make a system that works for everyone.

I don't have the answer and I'm glad I don't have the responsibility of figuring that out. The VHSL deserves constructive criticism, but complaints without possible solutions doesn't solve anything. There is no perfect system and there never will be.

Reactions: SportsJunkie32
I saw on Full Court Press that Glass had a sea of blue there.. How many buses did Glass have there. Two or three buses in that arena is not a lot of fans.
So wait...we go from Glass supposedly not having any fan support, then we produce photographic evidence that we have great fan support, and now you want to run us out of the district?

Reactions: VolNation85
Glass played a really tough Seminole schedule playing Rustburg twice. Glass does not belong in the Seminole. They are a class 5 school playing teams that should be in class 2.
Glass is Class 4 along with Amherst and JF. Districts are solely for travel purposes. It has nothing to do with enrollment numbers.

Reactions: falcettik
KJ Wyche younger brother will be at Varina next year. He currently a 8th grader at John Rolph. Caleb Wyche is a beast at qb as well as basketball guard. Varina will definitely make some noise next year.

So wait...we go from Glass supposedly not having any fan support, then we produce photographic evidence that we have great fan support, and now you want to run us out of the district?
I am suprised that you as a Glass fan would want to still be going to poor facilities that the county schools have. After all Glass is the king of sports in the Lynchburg area. Ya'll should be going to all the big name schools in NOVA. Not going to a 3 stop light town like Rustburg.

You make compelling points. Bring back the old Western District.
When you around to the school and officiate you the big difference in the athletes of the smaller schools compared to the larger schools. Parity is all the VHSL is not doing with this current alignment deal. Saving $$$$$ on travel is all its about.

Some of the Class 3 schools in the Seminole are small, granted, but overall it's pretty balanced enrollment wise.

C4:
EC Glass is at 1020 students
Jefferson Forest 952
Amherst is at 931

C3:
Heritage 813
Brookville 711
Rustburg 595

C2:
Liberty 551
LCA 450

Glass is the biggest school in the Seminole, but the smallest C5 school is Potomac Falls at 1205. There are 33 C4 schools with more students than Glass, they are through and through a middle of the pack C4 school.

Rustburg, LCA and Liberty are certainly at a disadvantage enrollment-wise, I'll give you that. The others are all on pretty even playing field.
LCA is Class 2 size but they chose to play up in 3 because they said it's the best group for them.
Liberty will drop to Class 2 starting in 2023-2024

I have a drastic idea but likely wouldn't get done to fix the Dogwood, Piedmont, and Seminole Districts

Dogwood District (Split 2/3)
William Campbell and Altavista should consolidate and form South Campbell High School (Keep the Black and Orange of Altavista, and add Gray/Silver and be the Generals to honor WC),
So it would be South Campbell, Appomattox, Liberty-Bedford (as Class 2), LCA, Heritage, Brookville, Rustburg. (In my opinion, Nelson County should join the Shenandoah District)

Piedmont District (Split Class 2/Class 3)
Tunstall, Martinsville, Magna Vista, Bassett, Chatham, Gretna, Dan River (Patrick County is leaving Piedmont for Three Rivers so they could stay in that)

Seminole District (Class 4 District)
GW-Danville, Halifax County, and Mecklenburg County are all Class 4 schools. Move them into the new Seminole District with E.C. Glass, Amherst County, and Jefferson Forest

LCA is Class 2 size but they chose to play up in 3 because they said it's the best group for them.

I have a drastic idea but likely wouldn't get done to fix the Dogwood, Piedmont, and Seminole Districts

William Campbell and Altavista should consolidate and form South Campbell High School (Keep the Black and Orange of Altavista, and add Gray/Silver and be the Generals to honor WC),
So it would be South Campbell, Appomattox, Liberty-Bedford (as Class 2), LCA, Heritage, Brookville, Rustburg. (In my opinion, Nelson County should join the Shenandoah District)

Tunstall, Martinsville, Magna Vista, Bassett, Chatham, Gretna, Dan River (Patrick County is leaving Piedmont for Three Rivers so they could stay in that)

GW-Danville, Halifax County, and Mecklenburg County are all Class 4 schools. Move them into the new Seminole District with E.C. Glass, Amherst County, and Jefferson Forest
Good thoughts, that travel in the Seminole would be tough during the week for students and parents for sports other than football.

During my junior year at Rustburg 1967-1968 Amherst and Brookville were moved to the Valley District with the schools from the Staunton area. Liberty-Bedford was already in the Valley. Our was Group 2 District 4. Predecessor to the Seminole in 1970-1971. Due to the travel of the larger schools in Virginia the current alignment was formed. You have Division 4-5 schools playing Division 3 schools to save money on travel. Kinda understand that part it. But smaller schools don't have a chance until the playoffs start when they play against schools their own size. Going around the Lynchburg area officiating basketball for years, when you walk on the floor at a Division 3 then varsity game its like doing a Division 4 J/V game. Its especially noticeable on the girls side. Rant over.

That's actually not a bad idea in my opinion. The only 2 major issues for me is the combining of WC and Altavista and Meck Co. being in the Seminole. That's a 2hr+ bus ride for schools in the Lynchburg area.

That's actually not a bad idea in my opinion. The only 2 major issues for me is the combining of WC and Altavista and Meck Co. being in the Seminole. That's a 2hr+ bus ride for schools in the Lynchburg area.
The idea of combining the 4 high schools in Campbell County has been discussed for years. If it were to happen. It would be two high schools with Rustburg and William Campbell being combined and Brookville and Altavista being combined. New high schools would be built in the Rustburg area and the Brookville area. Kinda far fetched but that was the rumor. Don't think its going to happen now.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
The idea of combining the 4 high schools in Campbell County has been discussed for years. If it were to happen. It would be two high schools with Rustburg and William Campbell being combined and Brookville and Altavista being combined. New high schools would be built in the Rustburg area and the Brookville area. Kinda far fetched but that was the rumor. Don't think its going to happen now.
When they were talking about that 7-10? years ago, I think they decided that would be too expensive, especially considering they had to improve elementary and MS buildings in the county as well. I think the communities of Altavista and Naruna were completely against it as well. The time and expense of bussing was also a consideration.

Good thoughts, that travel in the Seminole would be tough during the week for students and parents for sports other than football.
The Dogwood is a smaller district number wise (but does more traveling than the Seminole)
Dogwood has to deal with right now:
Dan River to Nelson is 94 miles one way and DR to Appomattox COunty is 65 miles one way. Now we do have Chatham, Gretna, and Galileo who are all short distance from DR.
Galileo to Nelson is 99 miles

Reactions: blackknight_pride
The Dogwood is a smaller district number wise (but does more traveling than the Seminole)
Dan River to Nelson is 94 miles one way and DR to Appomattox COunty is 65 miles one way. Now we do have Chatham, Gretna, and Galileo who are all short distance from DR.
wow

Neslon in the Shenandoah District makes the most sense. It is definitely more removed from all the other schools (they are all in Augusta County) but it makes more since than the Dogwood. I would even argue Nelson in the Jefferson makes more sense, even though Nelson is Class 2 and all the JD teams are 3-5. Put them in the Shenandoah!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT