ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Johnson

Jul 27, 2019
Tired of HS v Louisa debate. Asking you Springer insiders, is Coach Johnson content building a high school powerhouse or does he have aspirations of coaching at a higher level?

I agree with you that's why I ask people earlier to stop replying to Lion540 from Louisa. The thread was about HS and Manchester but the Louisa fan continuously says idiotic things to get everyone rowled up. I am no longer replying to that thread. As far as coach Johnson goes I do believe in a couple years when his son graduates he may try his hands at the collegiate level. I'm pretty sure he will be successful at the next level like he is at HS. No coach in the state of Va makes adjustments like HS.

Reactions: springer76
I agree with you that's why I ask people earlier to stop replying to Lion540 from Louisa. The thread was about HS and Manchester but the Louisa fan continuously says idiotic things to get everyone rowled up. I am no longer replying to that thread. As far as coach Johnson goes I do believe in a couple years when his son graduates he may try his hands at the collegiate level. I'm pretty sure he will be successful at the next level like he is at HS. No coach in the state of Va makes adjustments like HS.
I don't know the answer to that. Coach J has built a top flight coaching staff behind him!!!! They are all excellent coaches, most are teachers at the school. As they all have stated too many times to number, the football is secondary to the bigger picture of what they are trying to accomplish! Their #1 goal is to build these kids into college educated, responsible and successful adults! The football is secondary. Period!!!!
I do know that Coach J's son is in the 9th grade and on the JV football team. What Coach does at HSHS while and after his tenure at HSHS is entirely up to Coach Johnson!! If, after 4 years (or before) he wants to try his hand at the next level,SpringerNation would support him 100% in his quest for greatness!!! His staff is stocked with young and talented coaches that would take over the Springer Regime without skipping a beat!!

Last edited:
Coach has done an incredible job... With that being said you have to strike while the iron is hot. There should be a lot of college teams looking for a guy like him... I don’t give a damn if he has coached one down of CFB or not. Sometimes you just take a chance on a guy. Let’s be thankful for what he has been able to do and whatever he decides to do moving forward whether it is retire a springer or go to the next level.

I agree with you that's why I ask people earlier to stop replying to Lion540 from Louisa. The thread was about HS and Manchester but the Louisa fan continuously says idiotic things to get everyone rowled up.
https://virginiapreps.forums.rivals.com/threads/hshs-at-manchester.63947/page-4#post-361057

Bruh...you literally brought up Louisa in that thread first for no reason, and STILL can't get us out your head, so you can thank yourself for that genius post. You should've kept us out your mouth days ago, and there was no need to mention me here like a genius either. Can't take the heat, don't come in the kitchen.

Sorry for that guys. Coach Johnson will be great at the college level. He will connect with the players better than many D1 and pro coaches out there today, and he will demand discipline and respect at the same time. I'm tired of seeing certain D1 and NFL coaches letting the players get out of hand, FSU for example. I'm looking forward to seeing his next steps.

https://virginiapreps.forums.rivals.com/threads/hshs-at-manchester.63947/page-4#post-361057

Bruh...you literally brought up Louisa in that thread first for no reason, and STILL can't get us out your head, so you can thank yourself for that genius post. You should've kept us out your mouth days ago, and there was no need to mention me here like a genius either. Can't take the heat, don't come in the kitchen.

Sorry for that guys. Coach Johnson will be great at the college level. He will connect with the players better than many D1 and pro coaches out there today, and he will demand discipline and respect at the same time. I'm tired of seeing certain D1 and NFL coaches letting the players get out of hand, FSU for example. I'm looking forward to seeing his next steps.
He brought up you, not Louisa or Louisa's football team.

Reactions: Thomasddev
Given current struggles @ VT, I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't already reached out to coach Johnson.

Quote from that article:

"Of course, evolution will occur over the course of nearly 20 years, but Johnson's values never will change. He harbors aspirations of coaching at the collegiate level, but he really wants to coach his two sons, ages 13 and 11 – he also has a 9-year-old daughter. Besides, he preaches family to his team, and he wants to live that commitment. He said any potential career move would have to be "life-altering.""

Coach has done an incredible job... With that being said you have to strike while the iron is hot. There should be a lot of college teams looking for a guy like him... I don’t give a damn if he has coached one down of CFB or not. Sometimes you just take a chance on a guy. Let’s be thankful for what he has been able to do and whatever he decides to do moving forward whether it is retire a springer or go to the next level.
He has already stated,he’s staying put til his kids graduate. His wife loves the area and he wants to coach his own kids. The oldest is already impressing as a freshman. If he leaves,we will wish him well. He’s built a dynasty! He’s got fantastic coaches on that staff,and I’d hope one of them would move up & take over to continue the success.

I still hope he’s here for a long long time!!

If Fuente wants to keep his job, he should get Coach Johnson just to bring back Beamer ball!!! Else he could lose it too him!!!

Not until after next year though. We want another shot at the Springers beforehand.

Last edited:
Coach Johnson has always been a gamer and it goes back to his playing days and picking off that pass against Miami to effectively jumpstart VT's season that was swirling in the toilet bowl at the time. He has done a tremendous job at HSHS and the on field and off field results confirm that. This thread hits on a lot of things including his ability to adjust in game and between opponents and styles. However, what cannot be emphasized enough is that to build a program you have to have a tremendous staff and that does not stop with just the guys coaching varsity. It is the infrastructure and teaching all the way down to the rec level. To dwell on the varsity staff for a moment though it is critical to have those coaches in the building interacting and monitoring those kids every day and the benefits of that set up are immense. I think he will be successful in whatever path he chooses, however, I would offer one word of caution. Coaching varies from level to level and there are unique skills and challenges associated with each level(high school, college or pro) and even at times within the same level. When making any change it will be necessary to adapt. Some navigate those changes in a manner that seem effortless, however, there are others who were great at a particular level that cannot make the adaptations necessary(see Gerry Faust going high school to college, Spurrier college to the pros and others). The truly great coaches find their level or niche and recognize it.

I think its rare to see success of a HS Coach to transition directly to a D1 College for a reason... But i think a life-changing opportunity for most people would include a nice mid-six-figure job as an assistant at their alma matre?

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
He has already done that. After he finished playing he was a GA on techs staff working with the strength dept and football as well. He has college experience already. I believe he was a GA with Vick when he was there.

Huge difference as an entry-level GA / strength coach vs being an assistant coach. I have to believe Coach Johnson has earned the attention he deserves for a higher profile position at most any collegiate program.

He's built up a team the right way and that means something in the world of recruit until you win, flash in the pan coaches at other programs.

He has had plenty of inquiries as a DBs coach. I know for a fact two D1 programs had serious interest in him as a DB. I get as someone who has done it is a big difference. He is very capable and I am sure has had more offers then I even know about.

Yeh, i suspect he wants a bigger role than a DB coach. Again, i think he deserves it, too.

Well Virginia Tech needs a football coach.. Bad!! Sad thing is, he won’t have the “experience” to get it this go round. Would love to see him get a chance to coach the Hokies back to stardom one day. He’ll indeed be a D1 coach before it’s all said and done.

Well genius here you go again bringing foolishness to another thread. My reply was to the guy who started this thread off by saying he was tired of the Louisa vs HS debate all I did was concur with him. There is no heat not kitchen to get out of. We have 4 titles you guys have none end of debate and we play the toughest schedule in the entire state with a bunch of underclassmen on the roster while playing all the tough games on the road while you guys play a committee of cupcakes. Im tired of keep pointing out these obvious points. That's why I stopped replying to foolery in the Manchester vs HS thread. You want someone to credit your program. Y'all have a good team but you're not on HS level case close. My next reply to you about either one of our teams will be in December. Case clised

@Thomasddev and all you had to say was "I agree" or "I concur". Keep my name out your mouth sir, thanks, case closed.

Dude you are lame I don't even no your name and I don't care to. Plus I say what I feel like saying. But like I said you talk real big but don't tuck your tail come December.

Dude you are lame I don't even no your name and I don't care to. Plus I say what I feel like saying. But like I said you talk real big but don't tuck your tail come December.
A friend of mine used to be on here(litlcoz),and stopped posting for THIS reason. This thread is about Coach Johnson. This guy and his team mean NOTHING to Coach Johnson or HSHS. In 2019...they DON’T matter nor is HSHS even remotely concerned with them. They are irrelevant to HSHS’s season or run at a 5th straight,unprecedented title. They are in another division that has nothing to do with HSHS’s.

This thread is about Coach Johnson! He’s built a dynast! Let’s enjoy our Springers!!

Do we all agree that VA Tech needs coach Johnson more than HSHS does? Yikes, Tech is in trouble IMHO. That would have to be his dream dream job eventually.

He is a great coach and a builder of young men... that always translates when u can do both

Do we all agree that VA Tech needs coach Johnson more than HSHS does? Yikes, Tech is in trouble IMHO. That would have to be his dream dream job eventually.

He is a great coach and a builder of young men... that always translates when u can do both
How old is Coach J?

Well, he certainly is still young enough to make the move to college. I'm thinking a minimum of five years of paying his dues before he gets a shot as a head coach at a bigger football school.

Coach J has built something big. If he chooses to accept a bigger challenge, he has a top flight staff to choose his predecessor. Lots of educators on that staff that are teaching the guys how to be successful on and off the field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT