ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Magenbaeur

Not a big deal. Not trying to downplay what Magenbauer has done, but as long as the system and tradition doesn't change, they will continue to see some success.
true to a certain degree.

Wow. I can't agree that it's not a big deal. Obviously, Magenbauer himself replaced a legend and became one himself, so it's possible. I still expect Salem to be successful, but we'll see how much so. (And, I wouldn't necessarily have expected Mags to won another five titles if he had stayed another 15 years with the level of competition in Class 4.)

I don't know anything about the internal dynamics, but I'm surprised that Lewis Pitts wasn't the replacement. Salem's offense really took off when he joined the staff and took them back to the championship level after, by Salem standards, a bit of a lull in the late 2000s and early 2010s.

I think Coach Holter will bring a good balance to the team with his defensive background and Coach Pitts will help leading from the offensive coordinator position.

It's a big deal that Coach Magenbaeur is leaving, but I look at what they accomplished after Coach White retired. I think everything is in good hands. I like the seamless transition so the speculation doesn't detract from the focus of the program.

I tend to agree with wikki. I am not saying the new coach will not have success or be able to carry on the wonderful tradition Salem has built, but there is never any guarantees with coaching changes. I know a ton of coordinators who did not transition well to head coaches. When I saw this I thought of a pregame meeting I had with a legendary umpire before a huge game. I was green and had not worked a lot of top games. I asked for some advice . He simply scratched his chin, laughed and said "don't screw it up"! This surely applies to the Salem program and Coach Holter. I am sure the The Spartans will be fine.

Have tons of respect for Coach Magenbauer and the Salem program. The Spartans surely had a nice four year run from 2014-2018(3 straight titles). I wouldn't read anything into it. He has coached for a long time and we all know the toll that can play on a family. Maybe, he just thought it was a good time to turn things over. Good for Coach and beast of luck to the Spartans in the future. Gonna miss our three year rivalry.

I tend to agree with wikki. I am not saying the new coach will not have success or be able to carry on the wonderful tradition Salem has built, but there is never any guarantees with coaching changes. I know a ton of coordinators who did not transition well to head coaches. When I saw this I thought of a pregame meeting I had with a legendary umpire before a huge game. I was green and had not worked a lot of top games. I asked for some advice . He simply scratched his chin, laughed and said "don't screw it up"! This surely applies to the Salem program and Coach Holter. I am sure the The Spartans will be fine.

Have tons of respect for Coach Magenbauer and the Salem program. The Spartans surely had a nice four year run from 2014-2018(3 straight titles). I wouldn't read anything into it. He has coached for a long time and we all know the toll that can play on a family. Maybe, he just thought it was a good time to turn things over. Good for Coach and beast of luck to the Spartans in the future. Gonna miss our three year rivalry.
I'm not saying that the new coach will not be good, it just will not be the same and if anyone knows Amherst does.

I think Coach Holter will bring a good balance to the team with his defensive background and Coach Pitts will help leading from the offensive coordinator position.

It's a big deal that Coach Magenbaeur is leaving, but I look at what they accomplished after Coach White retired. I think everything is in good hands. I like the seamless transition so the speculation doesn't detract from the focus of the program.

I agree. Sounds like the coaching staffs at both Salem and AL will remain intact (as far as we know). That, coupled with the fact that this apparently was already a done deal, with a successor being lined up, should ensure that Coach Holter has as smooth a path to success as possible. I'm glad no search, with a lot of speculation and uncertainty, will be necessary.

Wow. I can't agree that it's not a big deal. Obviously, Magenbauer himself replaced a legend and became one himself, so it's possible. I still expect Salem to be successful, but we'll see how much so. (And, I wouldn't necessarily have expected Mags to won another five titles if he had stayed another 15 years with the level of competition in Class 4.)

I don't know anything about the internal dynamics, but I'm surprised that Lewis Pitts wasn't the replacement. Salem's offense really took off when he joined the staff and took them back to the championship level after, by Salem standards, a bit of a lull in the late 2000s and early 2010s.

I'm not too sure Coach Pitts had/has much interest in being the top man. Sounds like he'll be staying on, so that's a big plus.

Honestly, I doubt that high school football will be around on a wide-spread basis in another fifteen years, anyway. Not as we know it today, at any rate. Oh, football is too much of a money-making behemoth for Division I colleges and universities, so that won't go away; there will still have to be a system in place to feed that monster. But my guess is by the year 2035, eleven-man, full-contact football will be confined to the larger private schools, and perhaps some public school teams made from combined squads. Salem/Glenvar/Northside might be a team; Cave Spring/Hidden Valley/Patrick Henry might be another one. Kids just aren't as interested anymore. Waning interest coupled with all the concussion and injury worry are going to lead to the slow but inevitable disappearance of our beloved game. Perhaps some coaches, seeing the writing on the wall, feel the time is good to try something else. I'm not saying that's the case with Coach M, as I honestly have no idea. However, I would wager the game's decline will factor into a lot of life decisions for those in the coaching ranks in the coming years.

Last edited:
Don Holter was an assistant under Billy Miles of Franklin County, Rob Senseney of William Fleming and Jaimie Harless of Lord Botetourt as well as coach Mags. He is ready.

Agreed that lack of speculation is in Salem's best interest, but I would have thought that some policy, or maybe even law, would require that an opening be posted for applicants. I am guessing there is no such VHSL requirement, does anyone know about this? Just seems odd that the job would be filled before it was even open.

Reactions: schoolboard
Agreed that lack of speculation is in Salem's best interest, but I would have thought that some policy, or maybe even law, would require that an opening be posted for applicants. I am guessing there is no such VHSL requirement, does anyone know about this? Just seems odd that the job would be filled before it was even open.
Some localities have policies that state the job has to be posted for a certain period of time, but I believe that is always a local code. But if the powers that be already know who they want, then I can understand why they don't want to go through the dog and pony show process.

I believe it has to be posted

IDK what the rules are about posting the job, but Mags wanted coach Holter to be the replacement and he agreed The city council has already approved Holter as the coach.

Yeah being that the coach has been named we want to get the pleasure of the speculation of who the coach may be...that would have been worth another 75 posts :)

I think you're over-estimating by a lot

Well, I’ll tack one more post on to the thread just to say that I agree with you.

This IS big news in the context of Class 4 football, but there really isn’t that much to discuss. There’s no controversy involved. Magenbauer plainly stated his reasons for moving on, so no mystery there. His successor having been named wipes out dozens of posts worth of speculation, as you guys noted. And if anyone was expecting a big freak-out from the Salem contingent, it’s not going to happen. Coach Holter is a known commodity, and is liked and respected within the community. Also, since it appears the staffs at both Salem High and Andrew Lewis Middle schools will be staying intact, at least for another few years, I don’t think anyone’s too concerned about the program going belly-up anytime soon.

So, for once, there doesn’t seem to be that much to hash and re-hash over.

IDK what the rules are about posting the job, but Mags wanted coach Holter to be the replacement and he agreed The city council has already approved Holter as the coach.
So , in Salem , the city council has to approve a coaching hire? I would have thought it would be the school board and the Principal of the school.

Nothing to discuss. Clean transition, Holter is a good ol' boy in the Salem program, the machine churns on in Salem.

It's probably going to be a good long while before you get some "crazy" Salem coaching hire for football. The system is what makes Salem work, they don't want anyone to come in who tries to overturn the apple cart. There's a good amount of roots being spread out from the White/Mags tree that will probably keep Salem football with a Salem coach for some time.

Reactions: one man
I don't see why so many are surprised at the way this was handled. Were people really expecting Salem to hire from the outside? Mr. Habeeb said it best when he said "we're not broken" and you all know if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Salem will be a solid program for a long time to come and I have no concerns about Coach Holter "breaking" the Spartans.

Salem has a quality PROGRAM that a lot of HS team in the area should try to mimic. It's strong from the youth league foundation to the dominant middle school and JV teams to the Varsity team that is a perennial state championship contender. Coach Magenbauer has done a tremendous job keeping it intact. Good luck to Coach Holter! That's a tough act to follow!

Coach White got the program back on track after the transition from Andrew Lewis High school to the new Salem High School. Except for his first year in 1983, he never had a losing record.
21 years 200-52 at Salem. White had 4 state titles at Salem , including three in a row in 1998, 1999 and 2000.

Maghenbauer , a former QB and linebacker at Salem, took over at Salem in 2004 after short stints with Glenvar and starting the program at Hidden Valley.
He coached for 15 years and posted a 169-27 mark at Salem with 5 state titles

That makes 36 years with one losing season and a combines record of 369-79.

Reactions: MaroonandGold29
Salem has a quality PROGRAM that a lot of HS team in the area should try to mimic. It's strong from the youth league foundation to the dominant middle school and JV teams to the Varsity team that is a perennial state championship contender. Coach Magenbauer has done a tremendous job keeping it intact. Good luck to Coach Holter! That's a tough act to follow!
Most will be successful if you have a good coach for that long. I think high schools would like to mimic but impossible if you have a mediocre coach that comes makes changes. Salem has been lucky to have him for as long as they have. Time will only tell from this point on.

Most will be successful if you have a good coach for that long. I think high schools would like to mimic but impossible if you have a mediocre coach that comes makes changes. Salem has been lucky to have him for as long as they have. Time will only tell from this point on.
Magenbauer grew up in White's system and just had to facilitate it and keep things going in the same direction. There's a lot of big ego coaches out there today that think they know more and try to re-invent the wheel. I think Amherst probably had that going years ago, but couldn't maintain it for multiple reasons. When things start to snowball, you have to focus on what is easiest to control, which is just the Varsity team. The rec leagues, middle school teams and JV's get put on the back burners and they fall apart. I think you can look at a lot of programs in Central VA and see the same thing happening. There a lot of programs that are suffering from low numbers and I think that's a sign of a faltering program. This is probably a topic for another thread, not trying to take away from the Salem discussion

Magenbauer grew up in White's system and just had to facilitate it and keep things going in the same direction. There's a lot of big ego coaches out there today that think they know more and try to re-invent the wheel. I think Amherst probably had that going years ago, but couldn't maintain it for multiple reasons. When things start to snowball, you have to focus on what is easiest to control, which is just the Varsity team. The rec leagues, middle school teams and JV's get put on the back burners and they fall apart. I think you can look at a lot of programs in Central VA and see the same thing happening. There a lot of programs that are suffering from low numbers and I think that's a sign of a faltering program. This is probably a topic for another thread, not trying to take away from the Salem discussion
I agree with you. Amherst program hasn’t been the same for years. You can’t go to a school and make drastic changes that was working. Yes some numbers were down and can certainly understand it. No motivation from leadership. Fans are hoping they will change. I know the excitement is there already from players, parents, fans and boosters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT