ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches insights wanted

Nov 25, 2002
Coaches, what is the biggest problems you deal with today in trying to coach (doesn't even have to be football)! I have coached golf on the high school level though briefly, and have coached baseball and basketball at parks and rec levels or upward bound level. I haven't in several years now, but during my time, I have to say that parents thinking their children are the next MLB all-star or NBA superstar or PGA pro just mentally drained me! I loved helping shape young minds into the TEAM of team sports and how to control your emotions in golf as an individual sport. But I just got drained dealing with parents. What are your thoughts and how do you stay charged to go into each season ready for the grind and ready to shape young minds?

Reactions: oldfool2
It's an exhausting and trying profession, which I keep doing because of a love for the sport and trying to teach it and the proper way of playing to future generations.

The biggest challenge I find is that the majority of players just want to be handed playing without putting in any work and then get upset when they don't play or aren't winning or aren't getting recruited. A close 2nd is how they mimic what they see pro athletes do and this is usually when they are complaining to officials and looking for a call or penalty.

I will admit that after every year, it gets harder to return for the next. Behaviors and attitudes keep getting worse.

It's an exhausting and trying profession, which I keep doing because of a love for the sport and trying to teach it and the proper way of playing to future generations.

The biggest challenge I find is that the majority of players just want to be handed playing without putting in any work and then get upset when they don't play or aren't winning or aren't getting recruited. A close 2nd is how they mimic what they see pro athletes do and this is usually when they are complaining to officials and looking for a call or penalty.

I will admit that after every year, it gets harder to return for the next. Behaviors and attitudes keep getting worse.
Entitlement and the culture

Reactions: TS69
Commitment from administration, players, coaches, and support staff. Getting everyone on board fully all the time would be tough. I'm sure it is easier to do it for one season, but building a program with full commitment on a consistent basis would be hard.

All GREAT comments.

mvwarior, Ampipe, and Wikki summed it up, and what catchtds said is absolutely critical to withstand what they pointed out. You can weather the storm a lot better when your AD and Principal support you and take the parental heat so that you can focus on being a Coach and mentor.

God bless each and every one of you that give so much of yourself to try to make a difference. Thank you.

Reactions: catchtds
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT