ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches on the floor

Hampton Roads 6

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Feb 22, 2003
What is the rule pertaining to coaches being on floor during play. i thought they were required to stay in coaches box, or within the lines painted on sideline.

i don't think it's regulated at all. I have seen coaches go out onto the floor during a live ball, and I don't mean just stepping over sideline. they actually passed by players as they went out.
This post was edited on 2/1 10:21 AM by Hampton Roads 6

Are there any rules against guys with clipboards on football sideline who step out onto football field or basketball court or scorers' table? I have witnessed this...
This post was edited on 2/1 1:43 PM by Hawks8614

In basketball if the coach with the clipboard is not the head coach, they are supposed to be planted in silence on the bench.

Can the Head Coach go onto the floor during a "live ball" ?

Personally I wish the NFHS would tweak the rules to require all coaches to remain seated except when calling a TO.

i saw a coach awhile back, go onto the floor during play to talk to a couple of his players. he had to walk around an official and 1 or 2 players from other team to reach his guys. This rule is like the football sideline rule. once a year you get someone who enforces it. I recall a football game once that the ref on sideline only was concerned with sideline, I don;t think he saw a play on field all night. that guy was terrible.
This post was edited on 2/2 10:23 AM by Hampton Roads 6

The guy with the clipboard had no official/current affiliation with the school at which he "impersonates" association. So basically a guy wearing school colors carrying a clipboard that is part of a disguise to look important who walks out onto basketball court and football field and makes trips to the scorers' table to have his questions answered is allowed to do so. Sometimes he is very critical of referees...

If I understand your description correctly, this person would be under control of game management, such as Principal, AD, or designate, not game officials (refs). Having said that, if such a person came on the field or court where he should not, game officials would likely question his position of authority and then have game management remove him.

Answering from a football perspective, we enforce the sidelines strictly because the officials who work out there work off the field, or on the sideline itself but they have to have room to move off the field without fear of banging into someone. The advent of the spread offense requires this. When I started calling football as a linesman we were 3-4 yards outside the widest guy and the game was mostly between the hash marks. Five officials could easily cover a varsity game. Huge areas of the field were ignored and there wasn't a QB in the state working on a deep-out pattern.

That all changed, and it did so at the same time that a multi-million dollar lawsuit bankrupted several officials in a game who, by all reports, were DOING THEIR JOB JUST FINE. Oh, and the officials WON the case, but the cost of defense was staggering. At the bottom of this post I'll write what happened, but getting back to the point here, I see coaches on the court at basketball games quite a bit but I haven't seen them get in the way recently. Most schools have the benches so close to the court there is simply no room there.

As to why football officials worry more about their sidelines than the play on the field -- I don't know. My philosophy is to drop a flag an get on with the game. Sideline warnings don't cost a yard, the first time, and they send a message. f the message isn't heard, we'll start walking yardage, but continuing to try to get people back who aren't getting the message is pointless.

If there is an observer there, one of the biggest things in a reports of wing officials is sideline control. As a referee, I also send in a report
to the association and assignor, and if a guy lets coaches or clipboard people into the area he has to work, I'm going to make sure the assignor knows he's not up to the task.

When I work with newer guys I like to be positive, offer constructive criticism and stay upbeat. Rarely do I get angry or show it (and always privately, even then) but this season I had a newer guy who didn't control his sideline and I let him know at halftime that things had to change. Come the second half, I looked over at the start of a play and he was standing next to a coach, laughing about something, a yard on the field. Needless to say, I did not receive a Christmas card from that one this year.

As to the lawsuit: What happened was during a game in Texas, an official ran down the sideline while covering a play and crashed into a coach, also watching the play. It was a freak thing; the coach had a brain injury and had to retire on medical disability.

Here's the real crime -- no one from the school or coach's family sued. No one there thought it was anything other than a bad-luck accident. It was the school system's workman's comp insurance carrier that sued ALL FIVE officials on the game for causing the accident, citing the fact that, among other things, the official was running in the vicinity of the coach, and he was watching the players, not looking at his path.

After that, the NCAA and the NFHS got really uptight about football sidelines and I'm with them on that one.

In basktball,if this person in setting on the bench, you can call an indirect T on the bench and then the coach has to set the rest of the game. That gets a lot of attention.

I was going on wording in the post such as "this person has no official current affiliation" I'm guessing in that case he's NOT sitting on the bench. Also, Hawk says this person sometimes "is critical of referees"...well that narrows it down
3dgrin.gif

Gymrat, wish everyone could read between the lines as good as you do...
Sadly, it will probably take this individual getting the team that he is observing that day in trouble (by T or Flag or whatever) before anything happens.
This post was edited on 2/3 10:34 AM by Hawks8614

Coach on the floor is a technical foul. However...techs are used to improve the game. We surely dont want coaches straying all over the floor while the game is going on. However, sometimes, because of brain freeze or just because they're coaches they end up roaming out on the floor. A tech may be avoided by shooing him off. But dont get me wrong.....Ive NEVER strayed from calling a tech when its needed.
This post was edited on 2/7 6:43 PM by H00PSREF

A good official will remind coach to back off floor, then warn coach, then a technical would ensue if it happened again. However, if a coach is out of the box and arguing a call, I have seen "T" given without warning. A lot of HS gyms are small and the space between the bench and playing floor is small. A coach may be allowed a little leeway if he is up coaching his team and happens to step onto the floor.

Gymrat...you see the Coz any?? I miss the good guys like you and him.

HRef, coz is still on the court...jus has to take a seat now...or supposed to anyway
wink.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT