ADVERTISEMENT

Conference 27 & James Monroe

BigGriff

VaPreps Honorable Mention
May 29, 2001
Culpeper appears to be the front runner for the conference crown this year. However, JM has closed the gap and should contend. Culpeper and JM met last Friday at CCHS. Culpeper jumped on JM early and controlled the game but JM clawed back and lost by 9 (83-74).

Right now, JM is 2-1 on the season with wins over W&L (71-65) and Brentsville (87-50). Offensively, JM can play with anyone. They just have to improve on the defensive end. They have length (only one player under 6 ft) but as we all know, defense is about effort and desire. You really have to want to play defense in basketball. Coach Bumbrey is building something at JM. We'll see how quickly he can turn the program around into a consistent winner. The roster is filled with several juniors, so next year may be the big year for the program, but I think playing into late February this year can only be good for Bumbrey's guys. Junior Dre Boley leads the way but they have some pretty solid guards in Joe Avington, CJ Miller and Antwan Lewis-Gray. Once the football guys get into the system, the depth will be there as well. JM should get some tests from their Battlefield schedule as well. They travel to Kettle Run on Friday for a big game.

Culpeper is still the top team in the Conference but JM hopes to make a big jump and get into the regional round. Bad thing is, John Marshall, Armstrong, etc. are waiting for them most likely.

Would love to get a chance to see both teams. Long ride from the valley area. BigGriff where is Josh Majors playing? I thought he had a chance to play at the next level somewhere.

Kettle Run sucks. It will be James Monroe/Culpeper for Conference championship. Culpeper jumped on JM early I think Culpeper is too athletic for JM. Culpeper will have most of its team back next year as well.

Culpeper should win confernce 27 JM just isnt as athletic as them.Boley is pretty much all JM has at one time Cpep was up by 19 and few 3 balls fell. Majors went to the Miller school in Cville.Culpeper will get tested in the Daily Progress Xmas tournament like last year

I saw Culpeper at Highland Wednesday night.

Culpeper was down 17 points with 6:06 left in the first half. They took the lead midway through the fourth and won by 9. If the guards can get their act together and both show up and play the same game, no one - including JM - will be able to stop them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT