ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats Essex & Lancaster! Go NND and East Region!

uvacavs1

VaPreps All District
Jul 30, 2010
Congrats to Essex and Lancaster on making the 2017 State Tournament Final Four! Way to represent the Northern Neck/Middle Peninsula region! Excellent job overcoming the challenges discussed in the thread below. Best of Luck today!

East #1 Essex v West # 2 George Wythe

West #1 Radford v East # 2 Lancaster (rematch of last year's State Championship!)

A few notes on the NND coaches-

Essex Coach James Moore - Coach Moore is a long time devoted basketball coach (coached Essex JV for many years). He is also a great Math teacher who was voted the Essex Teacher of the Year a few years ago.

Lancaster Coach Tim Rice is also a long time winning coach who has a State Title already under his belt! Coach Rice teaches in the great discipline of History. Coach Rice was once the head basketball coach at Essex! Also, his wife has worked for Essex schools for many years as well!

Good luck to both programs!

Could those in the know about all 4 schools (Radford, GW, Lancaster, and Essex) post these school's Basketball Ball State history?

I know Radford and LHS have titles, not sure about GW...

How many state appearances? Final Four trips ? Titles? recently and/or all time?

Thanks

Hey bud. If you go to the VHSL website and go under publications and click on the link to this years basketball program it has the history of each school and how many final four trips and championships they have. It begins on page 144. Thought that may help you out some.

Reactions: uvacavs1
Thanks brother! Excellent resource. I forgot that the VHSL programs are now online (last time I looked at one was for Football - Essex v Altavista, a classic battle) - I believe that was an actual magazine type program.

I have to say the VHSL program is well done - colorful and informative.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
Radford is the King with 5 State Titles and 3 runner ups.

GW and Lancaster each have 1 State Title and 1 runner up.

Essex has 0 of each.

Essex has been to the State Qs and at least once to the Final Four - (lost to, who else, Radford, I believe).

This years records are Radford 24-5 and GW 24-2.

Lancaster is 18-4 (losses to Essex twice, W&L & a private school).

Essex is 20-5 (losses to Northumberland twice, Lancaster twice, & Rappahannock. Essex's 4 losses in the regular season were by a total of 6 points).

Last edited:
No problem bud. I wish they still did the actual programs instead of the online version. I have all the football and basketball ones from late 90s up until they stopped printing them a few years ago. I thought they were worth the $5 or whatever they cost. I'd have even paid a couple dollars more if I had to.

I know Essex has been to at least 2 state semi. Today's game and one back in '84. That team lost to Drewry Mason (now closed). Mason went on to win the state championship. That '84 team had Ricky Smith, Mitch Ashlock, Tony Greene, Micheal " Box Office" Bowler and the late Darryl "Showtime" Hammond. Essex coach James Moore was on that team as well.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT