ADVERTISEMENT

Could LCA beat Phoebus this year?

Fairlawncat

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 24, 2018
Heck of a game in the state title contest with 2 great teams last year, and both teams are solid again.

Calpreps has the score right now predicted at 26-21 in favor of LCA over Phoebus. Lots of football left with tough opponents for both schools in the regular season and the playoffs will feature even more difficulty for both schools.

Other Calpreps projections with Maxprep's Virginia's Top 4 Class 3 schools
Phoebus 31, Lake Taylor 26
Phoebus 31, Heritage 12
LCA 31, Heritage 6
LCA 35, Lake Taylor 24
Lake Taylor 35, Heritage 20

Heck of a game in the state title contest with 2 great teams last year, and both teams are solid again.

Calpreps has the score right now predicted at 26-21 in favor of LCA over Phoebus. Lots of football left with tough opponents for both schools in the regular season and the playoffs will feature even more difficulty for both schools.

Other Calpreps projections with Maxprep's Virginia's Top 4 Class 3 schools
Phoebus 31, Lake Taylor 26
Phoebus 31, Heritage 12
LCA 31, Heritage 6
LCA 35, Lake Taylor 24
Lake Taylor 35, Heritage 20
Of course LCA will have an advantage playing on their home field, which is not right at all. It will be a close game

Reactions: Fairlawncat
What advantage did it play last year? Serious question.
It didn't and that wasn't my point. Its not fair. I thought the VHSL rule was no one could play the state game on their home field. Oh yeah with the exception of LCA!

Reactions: Mike777VSP
It didn't and that wasn't my point. Its not fair. I thought the VHSL rule was no one could play the state game on their home field. Oh yeah with the exception of LCA!
Life isn’t fair unfortunately, Wikki.

With that being said, Salem wasn’t supposed to beat Lake Taylor in 2015 and they did. Anything can happen.

I know life isn't fair but sometimes its seems fair to the same people, if they squeak loud enough and they do

Reactions: Bo Bob
Life isn’t fair unfortunately, Wikki.

With that being said, Salem wasn’t supposed to beat Lake Taylor in 2015 and they did. Anything can happen.
True and that has happened before but they still get what they want.

This would be wild it either team makes it to the championship game. But I guess the chances are 80 % that they will. Next year they both will be in different divisions 4 Phoebus and 2 Liberty Christian it am not mistaken

This would be wild it either team makes it to the championship game. But I guess the chances are 80 % that they will. Next year they both will be in different divisions 4 Phoebus and 2 Liberty Christian it am not mistaken
LCA will remain in Class 3. They won the appeal to stay in Class 3.

True and that has happened before but they still get what they want.
Not sure how you would have survived prior to 1998. That was the year the VHSL went to college stadiums (cringe) for the state finals. It was awesome hosting and traveling to state championship games at the high school stadiums. Better atmospheres at home stadiums when regions alternated hosting. Also, how did you survive in the Spring of 2021 during the Plandemic when I think half of the teams won state titles on the road? Were you upset then?

Not sure how you would have survived prior to 1998. That was the year the VHSL went to college stadiums (cringe) for the state finals. It was awesome hosting and traveling to state championship games at the high school stadiums. Better atmospheres at home stadiums when regions alternated hosting. Also, how did you survive in the Spring of 2021 during the Plandemic when I think half of the teams won state titles on the road? Were you upset then?
I totally agree with state games should be played in a high school stadium. Better feel for the crowd.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Absolutely agree with you guys the state games should be played on high school fields on a rotational basis just like they use to. Atmosphere was just unreal at those smaller stadiums on championship day.

Cal preps mean nothing. Everyone had LCA winning the game lastyear and they lost. Its one game at a time. If the two teams meet again this year I hope there will be no excuses this time around. I havent really seen LCA this year. Lord Botetourt might hv somethg to say. Phoebus has to get pass Lake Taylor or Lafeyette. All I know is that Phoebus has a squad this year. Interested in seeing how they match up with Oscar Smith. If Phoebus makes it to the finals they will be battle tested.

Reactions: VolNation85
Cal preps mean nothing. Everyone had LCA winning the game lastyear and they lost. Its one game at a time. If the two teams meet again this year I hope there will be no excuses this time around. I havent really seen LCA this year. Lord Botetourt might hv somethg to say. Phoebus has to get pass Lake Taylor or Lafeyette. All I know is that Phoebus has a squad this year. Interested in seeing how they match up with Oscar Smith. If Phoebus makes it to the finals they will be battle tested.
Everyone seems to have forgotten about Lord Botetourt. They're a championship caliber team just based on their style of play. They are massive up front and control the clock with their run game. Historically, they struggle with teams with a lot of speed though. I think they matchup well with LCA because of LCA's style of play. LCA has the younger Davidson brother that is really fast and the Moon kid but outside of those two, LCA doesn't have any guys that a blazing fast. I think LB would struggle with Phoebus though because of their speed. Gonna be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

What advantage did it play last year? Serious question.
While they did not win last year doesn't mean that playing at home wasn't an advantage to them.
No bus ride, same locker room familiar setting. Plus the fact that they are kids, they can easily be distracted by change.

As far as the title games being played at the high schools.... I can see that but also like the bigger feel of the Salem (level 2 location). Being from Appomattox my boys have won titles at Salem (4 titles) and my youngest won his senior season (Covid year) at Stuarts Draft HS. I LOVED going to someone's else's school and beating them there.
On a side note....Appomattox was messed over that year being they had to do all the traveling and they were the Number 1 seed. We had to drive 250 miles (4-5 hours) to a lower seeded Union and then drive 1 plus to a lower seeded Draft. If you are going to do HS it should be neutral field in the region of the higher se, or the higher seeded teams field.
Here is the real issue though. Fans from the "away" team can be really limited in seating. We've packed Salem before as a fan base. There would have been no way all those folks could have fit in a regular HS stadiums visitor side..

While they did not win last year doesn't mean that playing at home wasn't an advantage to them.
No bus ride, same locker room familiar setting. Plus the fact that they are kids, they can easily be distracted by change.

As far as the title games being played at the high schools.... I can see that but also like the bigger feel of the Salem (level 2 location). Being from Appomattox my boys have won titles at Salem (4 titles) and my youngest won his senior season (Covid year) at Stuarts Draft HS. I LOVED going to someone's else's school and beating them there.
On a side note....Appomattox was messed over that year being they had to do all the traveling and they were the Number 1 seed. We had to drive 250 miles (4-5 hours) to a lower seeded Union and then drive 1 plus to a lower seeded Draft. If you are going to do HS it should be neutral field in the region of the higher se, or the higher seeded teams field.
Here is the real issue though. Fans from the "away" team can be really limited in seating. We've packed Salem before as a fan base. There would have been no way all those folks could have fit in a regular HS stadiums visitor side..
I get it but the real disadvantage to all teams is the semi and final game being played on a Saturday. You play your whole season on Friday nights and setup on that schedule and the two most important games you play you have to change your whole routine. I've never liked that and never will.

I get it but the real disadvantage to all teams is the semi and final game being played on a Saturday. You play your whole season on Friday nights and setup on that schedule and the two most important games you play you have to change your whole routine. I've never liked that and never will.
I get that. I guess that is merely set up so folks can attended. That and some schools couldn't spare the busses for a Friday game ( with longer traveling) when they have school kids to pick up and drop off.

Let's say Pboebus and LCA played 5 years in a row on LCAs homefield in the title game and Phoebus won all 5. Guys, that is still not right, win or lose. No question, life is not always fair, but we shouldn't intentionally turn a blind eye to what is unfair. There's a difference in unfair, fair, and equal, and all 3 of those will always exist, but LCA shouldn't be hosting on its homefield for the title. Again, I don't care if Phoebus winning "makes a difference or not." It's not right.

Let's say Pboebus and LCA played 5 years in a row on LCAs homefield in the title game and Phoebus won all 5. Guys, that is still not right, win or lose. No question, life is not always fair, but we shouldn't intentionally turn a blind eye to what is unfair. There's a difference in unfair, fair, and equal, and all 3 of those will always exist, but LCA shouldn't be hosting on its homefield for the title. Again, I don't care if Phoebus winning "makes a difference or not." It's not right.
LCA will have their own football stadium next fall I believe. It will be within a mile of LU's stadium, but at least it's a different stadium.

I've got OS handling Phoebus again. That game means nothing in C3

Everyone seems to have forgotten about Lord Botetourt. They're a championship caliber team just based on their style of play. They are massive up front and control the clock with their run game. Historically, they struggle with teams with a lot of speed though. I think they matchup well with LCA because of LCA's style of play. LCA has the younger Davidson brother that is really fast and the Moon kid but outside of those two, LCA doesn't have any guys that a blazing fast. I think LB would struggle with Phoebus though because of their speed. Gonna be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

Agree. This is why and how Glass got on top early, their WRs slipped by slow DBs for easy scores. Glass went away from the pass and the game stalled out in a 14-14 tie the rest of the way but any pass-oriented offense with speed will give LB fits.

Totally biased opinion but Salem is one of, if not the best HS stadium in the state for a playoff venue. 7200 in the stands and can hold another 3,000-4,000+ around the stadium. It's a blast sitting in the stands with 10,000 other people watching HS football.

Reactions: Bo Bob
I didn't know exactly how close it was going to be, but I knew it was in the same general area. My parents live up on Candler's Mtn and he was telling me it would be behind the Lynchburg Emergency operations bldg somewhere.
Yep. That building is basically on the LCA campus. The new LCA stadium will be as close to LU's stadium as Salem Stadium is to the Salem Civic Center.

Reactions: mike salem
I totally agree with state games should be played in a high school stadium. Better feel for the crowd.
GW Danville was robbed of a state title back in 96, had to play at Chantilly in horrendous field conditions. GW was 3 or 4 scores better on a decent field. Maybe that is why they eventually decided to go with neutral cites??

• Wow
Reactions: Raiders Radio
GW Danville was robbed of a state title back in 96, had to play at Chantilly in horrendous field conditions. GW was 3 or 4 scores better on a decent field. Maybe that is why they eventually decided to go with neutral cites??
96 was a big part of why the vhsl went college fields. Brookville and James Monroe played in awful conditions.

Good to hear, the deserve credit for that. In a time where everyone is begging to play down they at least deserve some kudos for fighting to stay up.
LCA does not want to go 2a for fear of being moved to the Dogwood where a lot of schools do not field full JV programs for all sports

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT