ADVERTISEMENT

Couple NND tidbits..............

NNDman

VaPreps All District
May 29, 2001
With Northumberland and Rappahannock unbeaten in district play heading into Friday night I thought I'd share a couple interesting nuggets of info:
1. Between them Northumberland and Rappahannock have exactly 1 outright district championship (the two have shared some district titles); If you go back to District F, that number rises.
2. Between them Northumberland and Rappahannock have finished last in the NND standings 27 times (including 4 shares).

Great info.

Who won that one outright NND title? Rapp or NHS?

Of course, that means one of these teams has never won the NND title.

When was District F?

Pretty sure that Northumberland shared the 1996 title with Essex. That was the Marty Magerko led team than ran the run and shoot offense, and were pass happy, way before anyone else was. They won the regional championship over King William, 49-26, then lost to Powhatan, in the state semifinals.

Pretty sure that Northumberland shared the 1996 title with Essex. That was the Marty Magerko led team than ran the run and shoot offense, and were pass happy, way before anyone else was. They won the regional championship over King William, 49-26, then lost to Powhatan, in the state semifinals.

You may be correct. Magerko's 1996 team was the last time Northumberland had a season like this. Coach Magerko was a fantastic leader and had one or two sons that dominated and went on to play College ball - William and Mary and/or JMU. Please correct or add info.

I didn't really pay that much attention until around 2000 or so.

Marty went to William and Mary and played linebacker. Younger brother, Matt went to JMU and was a starting offensive lineman and won a 1AA national championship. Both were also accomplished wrestlers. I believe Marty won one state title, while Matt won at least 2. Matt was one of the most dominating wrestlers that I've ever seen in high school. He was a heavyweight ,and most heavyweights have some sort of belly on them, but not him. He and former Essex wrestler, Ranardo Whitaker had some battles. Magerko was the one wrestler, that Whitaker couldn't beat. They both won titles in their junior season when Matt wrestled at 215, but Matt moved to heavyweight for his senior season and beat Whitaker, I believe, 5 times that year, including in the state finals.

Rapp won the title in 86, 88, and 92, and 01 (West’s first year). Rapp lost to Strasburg in the state semis in 88 and 93.

Rapp's only outright title was in '86. They shared '76 with King George, '88 with Washington & Lee, finished third in '92, shared '95 with Northumberland, and finished in a 3-way tie with Essex and Washington & Lee in '01.

Reactions: uvacavs1
Rapp's only outright title was in '86. They shared '76 with King George, '88 with Washington & Lee, finished third in '92, shared '95 with Northumberland, and finished in a 3-way tie with Essex and Washington & Lee in '01.

What was the first year of the NND? And how many teams have been apart of it over the years?

District F was the forerunner to the NND which has been under that name since the fall of 1970. District E was the forerunner to the Tidewater District which as also been under that name since the fall of 1970.

Reactions: uvacavs1
great historical info on the Neck and local sports. Thanks to all.

Wow, that is freaking insane. The NND started (after being District F) in 1970.

Northumberland has never won the NND title outright in the nearly 50 years of the NND. (Rapp only has one in 1986).

These boys, coaches and communities have a rare chance at making and being a part of local sports HISTORY.

Pretty cool stuff...

Could very well be a 3 way tie for 2018.;)

Yes it certainly could be - Essex is indeed having to pull for Rapp and then plan to defeat those same Raiders to grab a share of the title. That would make a 4-1 three way tie.

That would indeed spoil the Indians history party.

Could very well be a 3 way tie for 2018.;)

Indians must go all out v Rapp - sorry to be tough, but if the game is a close battle, only the best players should be on the field at All times in all Three phases of the game (little Johnny can play in another game very soon).

Cannot take any risks with history on the line. Should be an exciting finish.

Yes, Essex may be rising once again....

Last edited:
Reactions: RappriverEHS
Indians must go all out v Rapp - sorry to be tough, but if the game is a close battle, only the best players should be on the field at All times in all Three phases of the game (little Johnny can play in another game very soon).

Cannot take any risks with history on the line. Should be an exciting finish.

Yes, Essex may be rising once again....
That's one way of looking at it. If your goal is just to win the district, go for it. I have to think the best team in the best district of 1A has a solid chance of achieving something bigger. I'd hate to see an injury in this game ruin a team's chance at winning the state championship. Play hard, play to win, play smart.

That's one way of looking at it. If your goal is just to win the district, go for it. I have to think the best team in the best district of 1A has a solid chance of achieving something bigger. I'd hate to see an injury in this game ruin a team's chance at winning the state championship. Play hard, play to win, play smart.

Oh I agree with you.

However, this game is for way more than just ending 50 years without an NND title (which the NND title actually does still mean a lot around here.)

1) NHS is fighting for great seeding and home field throughout the Region A playoffs.

2) NHS currently has loads of confidence and momentum, must keep it rolling.

3) This game is vital in many ways (for district and future region and possible states purposes).

Last edited:
I have seen many players on NND teams in many sports over the years not give a hoot once the NND has been won. That is what many of the kids only care about (plus maybe some of the Tidewater rivalries).

It is tougher to get the teams fired up about region and state play. Until they get a taste of it and want more....

Reactions: obguthr
I will say that (as I have posted before a few times over the season), I am concerned more about Essex and some of the old NND powers in the playoffs than Franklin.

I am sorry that they lost their star - that is a bummer -I was hoping to see him play. Best wishes to him.

However, one poster said that this changes the outcome in Region A - not really, my prediction all along is that it will be an NND team that wins it anyway.

The only question is - which one?

Reactions: RappriverEHS
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT