ADVERTISEMENT

Craig county Rumor

I dont know what to think of that if it's true.

Remember back during the "dark ages" when PM finished out the season with like 13 players? That year included a game where James River kept throwing the ball on us until the end. But I never would have thought of just giving up and forfeiting...ever.

I dont know what to think of that if it's true.

Remember back during the "dark ages" when PM finished out the season with like 13 players? That year included a game where James River kept throwing the ball on us until the end. But I never would have thought of just giving up and forfeiting...ever.
Considering the drubbing PM just gave JR and has done may times over the years, I can understand why they would took the opportunity to RUTS an unusually weak Blues team. But I agree with your take on forfeiting. I would only forfeit if I didn't have enough players to field a team, which is possible in Craig's case, or inability to reschedule due to weather or emergency.

I hope Craig doesn't forfeit the Blues are playing at a top level and the Nelson kid is less than 875 yards from the career rushing record. I've personally came and watched PM play the last 4 games (I have no prior association with PM), I must say the offensive line impresses me. They have some both way players I assume and that's a norm in smaller hs ball, but the one way players is solid on both sides of the ball. Cash on defense is very quick off the ball and reads the defense great. Mason is a brute on the O line at guard gets off the ball low and is very powerful at his listed wt 285. The mlb Wheeler is very solid I wouldn't be afraid to say he was in on 20 tackles. This is a very scary PM team with Nelson, Dawson, and Cook but I have some doubt if they can compete with Hurley, Riverheads, and GW. Good luck to them the rest of the season, PM was a force in my coaching days back in the 80's and early 90's.

Reactions: mmqp
If Craig is as poor a team as they appear to be, and they only have 13 players, then I'd say that is a recipe for some realy bad injuries on several fronts. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see the game played, but if the situation is what I perceive it to be, then the prudent path might be to let Craig cancel and forfeit the game. The bright side for PM would be more practices to fine tune things for the playoffs.

Last edited:
Looking at program now if I remember correct its like this
Qb 6'2" 170 so oh
Rb 6'1" 215 soph
Rb 6'2" 220 Sr
Rb 6'2" 215 Sr
Te 6'2" 200 Sr
Te 6'5" 200 Sr
Lt 6'4" 240 Jr
LG 6'1" 285 Jr
C 6'2" 250 Sr
Rg 6'2" 250 Jr
Rt 6'3" 275 Sr

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
That's the only lineup that I've seen with close to the size of GW. Not many teams left in 1A ball the size of those 2.

Yes they have the size and speed and now everything is coming together. And they have a few Jr. And soph that are looking really good. Cole walker a jr is a play maker and Ely wheeler is a beast and only a sophomore, Dawson is a beast as well. All around good team just need to get past one more headache Covington witch always play us down to the wire. The only time I can remember us bellowing them out was when Ryheem Dawson played and made the look like little kids but he did that to a lot of people.

Yeah I think so to yall size, speed and come right at you style vs our size, speed and spread/come at you style. Would make for a hell of a game.

Looking at program now if I remember correct its like this
Qb 6'2" 170 so oh
Rb 6'1" 215 soph
Rb 6'2" 220 Sr
Rb 6'2" 215 Sr
Te 6'2" 200 Sr
Te 6'5" 200 Sr
Lt 6'4" 240 Jr
LG 6'1" 285 Jr
C 6'2" 250 Sr
Rg 6'2" 250 Jr
Rt 6'3" 275 Sr
That's big for 1A and as I've said before PM is a team that you will not want to see come playoff time.

Reactions: oldballcoach13
Parry Mc has an excellent history of darn good football. As I mentioned earlier this
Season I recall the great RB from PM that went to Georgia Tech. He was big and fast.
That was in the 70's, for yall younger dudes.
Chilhowie had 2 alumni to coach at PM. One was a relative of mine, the other a friend.
PM has a great tradition of football. Good to see them return to the good times of their
Roots. Coach Ellison, and Coach Roe.

Parry Mc has an excellent history of darn good football. As I mentioned earlier this
Season I recall the great RB from PM that went to Georgia Tech. He was big and fast.
That was in the 70's, for yall younger dudes.
Chilhowie had 2 alumni to coach at PM. One was a relative of mine, the other a friend.
PM has a great tradition of football. Good to see them return to the good times of their
Roots. Coach Ellison, and Coach Roe.

That was Eric Martin you speak of, correct? He played for PM in the early 80's, I seem to recall he had a game for the ages vs. Chilhowie.

PM has always pumped out great running backs. Even during the really really bad years there were some good backs that came through (Tolley comes to mind)

And hey Chilwar, not sure if you knew it or not, but Mr. Ellison was inducted into the PM sports Hall of Fame a couple of weeks back. The two radio announcers talked about their favorite memories of him at halftime. It was very entertaining. I thought about you when they were talking but just forgot to tell you about it.

Speaking of radio, the Lexington station finally caved and started putting the Blues game on their FM dial about mid-season this year. Which means folks like myself can actually catch their games! For anyone that wants to listen to some actual EXCELLENT announcers that have ZERO bias, then listen to the Blues game vs. Covington. (this weeks game was not going to be broadcast). And I am not just saying that because I'm a Blues fan. I really do enjoy their broadcasts that much regardless.

Last edited:
Hey Mmqp, you are Exactly right, Eric Martin! That dude ran a 99 yd TD for PM against
Chilhowie in a Region C playoff game on a Saturday afternoon. I can still see him
Running down that field. We didn't have anybody with his speed, all we seen was the
Back side of his cleets all day.
Coach Ellison was the line Coach for Coach Wheeler at that time, if I am not mistaken.
Those 2 guys put together a dynasty at PM for several years. Just good old power
Football in those days. Great to hear that Coach Ellison was recognized for his
Contributions at PM. We need more folks like him.
PS will the game be streamed......what is the station name/ letters to tune in?

Hey Mmqp, you are Exactly right, Eric Martin! That dude ran a 99 yd TD for PM against
Chilhowie in a Region C playoff game on a Saturday afternoon. I can still see him
Running down that field. We didn't have anybody with his speed, all we seen was the
Back side of his cleets all day.
Coach Ellison was the line Coach for Coach Wheeler at that time, if I am not mistaken.
Those 2 guys put together a dynasty at PM for several years. Just good old power
Football in those days. Great to hear that Coach Ellison was recognized for his
Contributions at PM. We need more folks like him.
PS will the game be streamed......what is the station name/ letters to tune in?

There are pictures of that game in the yearbook from that year and it looked like a Mud Bowl lol.

http://www.3wzfm.com is the website to go to. There is a little "play now" button in the left hand corner.

Coach Wheeler was Head Coach up at Bath County for a couple of years in the mid-70's before returning to his alma mater (Great QB for the Blues in the mid-late 60's). He brought a tiny Charger squad down to BV and pulled off an upset in '75, 13-0. Bobby Williams' second year coaching the Blues.

Hey, mmqp, I got it and bookmarked it.
Thanks a lot, and good luck to PM, sounds like they are very strong this year,
And probably will do well in the post season.

Craig County has only scored 1 TD THIS YEAR through their first six games according
To VHSL reference. That is sad to say the least, but they have over 200 students, again
According to VHSL REF. That is more than Hurley,and a few less than JI Burton.
Are they still losing students? Most schools are down in enrollment.
Back years ago, before I retired, I used to go to a Children's Home in New Castle while
Working for the State. I just wonder if that Home for Children is still there? I remember
Crossing a mountain to get there......beautiful country.

His name was Eric Martin, great athlete.
'Prechate the quick repose. I didn't notice that further on down in the thread my question was already answered. I'll have to go do some research on this guy. I don't remember him, but anyone who was at Georgia Tech during that era was totally overshadowed by Hershel Walker at Georgia and Bo Jackson at Auburn. But my interest has been piqued and I will be in touch with my Tech friends about this guy. Again, many thanks.

I was under the impression that Craig annexed areas of Roanoke County quite a few years back. But yea, 200 sounds about right for them. Bath is around 220 if I'm not mistaken. PM sits around 340. Covington around 240...that school is about half the size that they once were thanks to the railroad bailing Alleghany County.

Coach Ellison was the anchor of that staff no doubt. Not taking anything away from current staff but i wish he was still on the sidelines today. A very intense man that knew the game inside and out.

Reactions: mmqp
I was under the impression that Craig annexed areas of Roanoke County quite a few years back. But yea, 200 sounds about right for them. Bath is around 220 if I'm not mistaken. PM sits around 340. Covington around 240...that school is about half the size that they once were thanks to the railroad bailing Alleghany County.
I've heard since I moved here that there used to be several more high schools in Rockbridge County. They said there was one in Natural Bridge, Glasgow, and Fairfield, and I think a couple of other comumities around the county as well. The only one left is Parry McClure. Rockbridge County High seems contrived and artificial, while PM has deep roots into the soil and is a natural part of the community. As a newcomer I think I can see this more profoundly than someone that has lived here all his life.

I've heard since I moved here that there used to be several more high schools in Rockbridge County. They said there was one in Natural Bridge, Glasgow, and Fairfield, and I think a couple of other comumities around the county as well. The only one left is Parry McClure. Rockbridge County High seems contrived and artificial, while PM has deep roots into the soil and is a natural part of the community. As a newcomer I think I can see this more profoundly than someone that has lived here all his life.

Yep, Rockbridge County High is like your typical cookie cutter consolidated schools. At least they didnt come up with some completely crap name like the combined school in Dickinson County did. Anyway, the Scarlet Hurricane of Lexington High has a history that stretched as far back as the Blues history does. They played for a couple of half-states way back in the day and played "up" for at least 10 years longer than Parry McCluer did in the old Valley District.

Natural Bridge had a pretty storied history in their own right (Glasgow high and the original NB high consolidated in 1939-ish to form the Natural Bridge as we all knew it..those former two schools were too small to play football). PapaMoose played for them in the early-mid 60's and they pulled off an upset for the ages when they beat top-ranked Robert E. Lee in 1963, 19-13. 3 weeks prior to that the Leemen had beat Lexington 81-0 in what was their worst loss in school history. He can add more if he wishes.

The Rockbridge Rebels were a force in baseball, but never so much in football. That school sat out near Fairfield.

For what it's worth, there was also a Fairfield high school (Warriors) and a Brownsburg High (Royals), and Effinger High School (Green Wave) and a Goshen High school (no clue what their nickname was). Those schools were too small to play 11 man but they did play six man for a time.

To our south, there was a Buchanan high school (Blue Devils), an Eagle Rock High (Eagles), a Troutville High (Warriors), Fincastle (Trojans) and Colonial (Bobcats.. I think) in Blue Ridge. The first two schools combined to form James River, the other 3 formed Lord Botetourt. Actually, Fincastle may have combined into to make James River, I've heard conflicting stories on that.

To our north, there was a Spottswood and Middlebrook high school, neither played football but combined to form Riverheads. There was a Craigsville (Blue Tornadoes.. I think) and Churchville (Tigers) as well as North River high in Mount Solon. I *think* those three combined to form Gap or it may have just been Craigsville and Churchville.. help me out Longtimer.. regardless, Craigsville did play football.

The Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind in Staunton also fielded a team for many years. There was also a boys home down in Natural Bridge that played football for a time.

To our West, there once was a Clifton Forge High (Mountaineers) and a Central high in Low Moor (Falcons) as well as a school in Hematite called Dunlap (Purple Knights). All 3 played football. Dunlap and Central consolidated in the early 60's to form Alleghany County High School (Colts). CFHS, Covington, and ACHS were a force to reckon with for a while! In the early 80's CFHS consolidated with ACHS to form Alleghany High as we know it today. They were great for a while as well.

QP-

Do you remember Ernie Brooks that played FB for Alleghany Co. but played basketball for the Covington Boys Home? We played them for two years at Page. He scored 35,36,36, and 35 points in the four games in the two years we played them! I think he went to UNC to play football- or at least was supposed to go!

QP-

Do you remember Ernie Brooks that played FB for Alleghany Co. but played basketball for the Covington Boys Home? We played them for two years at Page. He scored 35,36,36, and 35 points in the four games in the two years we played them! I think he went to UNC to play football- or at least was supposed to go!

I dont. But, I have quite a few friends over in Covington and they may know him. I'll ask them!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT