ADVERTISEMENT

Curious----Why no hype for John Champe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@1MoreHokie No one cares about those figures except Salem fans. Show me championships over that span. That's all that matters in the end. Louisa will get one sooner or later. It'll be before Sherando for sure.

56-14
56-10
41-16

@1MoreHokie No one cares about those figures except Salem fans. Show me championships over that span. That's all that matters in the end. Louisa will get one sooner or later. It'll be before Sherando for sure.

56-14
56-10
41-16

By your logic every team with 0 state titles is equal to one another then.

By your logic every team with 0 state titles is equal to one another then.
"State championship or bust" should be every team's goal. No in-between. I'm sure Western Albemarle isn't saying "by golly, we're glad we made it to the state semi's last year!"

"State championship or bust" should be every team's goal. No in-between. I'm sure Western Albemarle isn't saying "by golly, we're glad we made it to the state semi's last year!"

So do you designate every year without state as a failed year?

State is a fine goal and nobody has more of a "state or bust" mentality than programs with the history and tradition to back it up but I'm telling you from personal experience it's poor logic to say not winning state is a poor season. I'm also telling you that one appearance does not a perennial make and that if you're honest about being disappointed by non-title seasons(I suspect you're not and that you're simply doubling down on your previous statement) then you will probably be very disappointed in Louisa football for some time to come. Even Salem fans know the teams capable of playing for and winning state come few and far between. If you want any of us to describe say, last year's team, as a failure or a poor season simply because they lost state then you will be left wanting.

As I discovered tonight, Louisa has had serious issues in the playoffs since their state title loss(1 win since then) and instead of directly aiming for state it would probably behoove you to be happy if they're able to make frequently win 1-2+ games in the playoffs than expect 4-5 wins right off the bat. You don't train to win the NYC Marathon by just hopping out there day of and saying "this is all for nothing if I don't get first place".

Two playoff wins since 2006, James Wood and Sherando, but yep I really do consider a season without a state title a failed season. But I'd rather be one and done than lose another heart-breaker and get screwed on a recovered pooch kick in the process in a state title game, or get crushed in the title game.

Last edited:
Two playoff wins since 2006, James Wood and Sherando, but yep I really do consider a season without a state title a failed season.

I pity your players to read that nothing they've ever done has matched up to the dizzying heights of your expectations.

Why throw out Louisa's good seasons Mike? Because you refuse to give them any credit? Those seasons count just as much as any others. Louisa has done just as much as Salem and Sherando over the last nine years. And at least when Louisa made it to Lynchburg, they didn't get crushed.
Oh sorry I went to watch Jurassic World with the kids, just saw your post. After laughing for the better part of a minute I scrolled down and noticed 1MoreHokie & Spartan of Yore set the record straight. Hoos I didn't know you were a comedian... comparing Louisa to Sherando & Salem! That was good man.

Um Amherst beating Louisa 34-27 is soundly beating them? Maybe you should've checked that little fact while going through the Salem History books. You can have and brag about all the state title and semi game appearances you want, if you don't win the whole thing you've done nothing, just like we haven't. How do you think Salem would do against an LT or Dinwiddie? OH WAIT....better go back to basking in your past some more. Won't be any Powhatans to play anytime soon.

How a thread about Champe got turned into a Louisa discussion shows how much people itch to bash us. I'm done with the subject, have a good one.
I have asked myself many times in the past how a discussion that has nothing to do with Louisa gets turned into one. Then I see good ol HoosFan inserting them into the discussion.

I'm glad you got to go do something, good for you. I took my mother, who's battling lung cancer, out to dinner for her birthday tonight.
I'm truly sorry to hear your mom is having to go through such a tough battle. I know we sometimes get carried away with ourselves, but in reality this life boils down to people and specifically the ones closest to us. My mom just had a slight heart attack about a month ago and it really was a smack in the face.

but let's face it Salem probably works harder than any program in the state during the offseason. They're not loaded with D1 players but they're dedicated to the program.
Unless you have seen every other program in the state work out in the offseason then your statement is filled with speculation. Just because you have D1 players does that mean you automatically don't work hard? Or because Salem doesn't have any D1 players they have to work extra hard and so their accomplishments are that more extraordinary? Just trying to catch your point here. Lets not act like Salem is lacking in the talent department. Their team had at least 5 kids that are playing D1 currently and some more that will sign in the next couple of months and years

Last edited:
you have me on the quote but this is VAHS Football. I don't think we need to discuss the strength of schedule differential. You already understand that and I don't think you can disagree there are certainly .500 VA teams that are just as good or better than some 9 - 1 and 8 - 2 teams.

If Louisa plays a GW or Salem schedule, they're pretty damn good. But I have to give you the quote, "you are what your record says you are". That says the Lions have had their good moments but are at least consistently competitive. Plenty of teams cannot say that so, for me, they're a good program.
Louisa pretty consistently plays an average schedule for 4A teams.

I wouldn't put Sherando anywhere near the accomplishments of Salem. They do have a strong team almost every year. Let's be real as of right now no team from the west is going to beat a team from the east in the Championship game. The only team with state titles in this neck of the woods is Handley and I don't see them being good again for a few years.

I think the West will be much more competitive in the final this year. I would rule out a win.

I wouldn't go so far as to rule out a win but the odds will be stacked against them.

I haven't looked too deeply into next season yet, but the West might be favored in the title game next year. Will go into much more detail on those thoughts during the offseason.

I wouldn't put Sherando anywhere near the accomplishments of Salem. They do have a strong team almost every year. Let's be real as of right now no team from the west is going to beat a team from the east in the Championship game. The only team with state titles in this neck of the woods is Handley and I don't see them being good again for a few years.
I totally agree, but there is about 75 to 80 percent of all teams who would take what salem and Sherando have accomplished any day, including Louisa.

Reactions: Daboyz19
Anything less than a state championship is a let-down. At end of season only one team goes home happy.

The past decade(2006-2015):

Louisa - 65 wins, 42 losses, 60.7% winning percentage
Sherando - 91 wins, 26 losses, 77.7% winning percentage
Salem - 104 wins, 19 losses, 84.5% winning percentage

Louisa - 2 undefeated regular seasons, 3 sub-.500 regular seasons, 4-6 playoff record(1 playoff win from 2007-2015)
Sherando - 2 undefeated regular seasons, 0 sub-.500 regular seasons, 8-8 playoff record
Salem - 6 undefeated regular seasons, 0 sub-.500 regular seasons, 15-9 playoff record

Louisa - 3008 PF, 2391 PA(28-22 average per game)
Sherando - 3393 PF, 1646 PA(29-14 average per game)
Salem - 3835 PF, 1699 PA(31-13 average per game)

By no formative stretch is it fair to say Louisa has done just as much as either of those schools. I could probably dig out a host of other stats to further bury that point but I think those do enough. Salem and Sherando share more regular season and playoff success and they overall defeat their opponents in a more sound fashion.

I bear no ill will towards Louisa and their strides as a program in the past decade are clear and apparent but there is a definite line in the sand between their program and the two you mentioned.
Show me the schedules of those teams then I can see your point. I know for a fact that Sherando traditionally have a schedule that's not setup to go 10-0, but to get them ready for playoffs.

Show me the schedules of those teams then I can see your point. I know for a fact that Sherando traditionally have a schedule that's not setup to go 10-0, but to get them ready for playoffs.
You didn't read the last stat: record in the playoffs since '07- Salem 15-9, looks like they are prepared for the playoffs despite their "weak schedule" compared to the other teams over that time frame.

I wouldn't go so far as to rule out a win but the odds will be stacked against them.

I haven't looked too deeply into next season yet, but the West might be favored in the title game next year. Will go into much more detail on those thoughts during the offseason.
I meant I would NOT rule out a win.

I do not feel like Salem plays a weak schedule. I mean, they can't load up with 5A and 6A schools because they're in short supply up there, but they play their district and their rivals. I don't think any school would have done any better than Salem against their schedule over the years.

Sherando had a few cupcakes this year but it's not their fault that James Wood, Skyline, and Handley were horrible this year. It's amazing to me that Skyline won a playoff game because honestly they're not a very good team. They schedule Martinsburg and Fort Hill who have great programs. I never expected Fort Hill to beat Sherando at halftime of that game I wasn't that impressed with Fort Hill but you could tell in the 2nd half that team is very well coached and very determined.

I do not feel like Salem plays a weak schedule. I mean, they can't load up with 5A and 6A schools because they're in short supply up there, but they play their district and their rivals. I don't think any school would have done any better than Salem against their schedule over the years.

The current area being kinda down in just very recent years and Salem being good has a lot of people thinking causation. It's a lot of people from other areas of the state who know nothing of traditional 4A teams who think Salem is merely up because everyone else is down instead of understanding the 2 events have little to do with one another.

Also it's important to point out that Salem being 104-19 in the last decade, an average of 10-2 a year, jives perfectly with their 30 year record and average(300ish wins, 60ish losses, the same 10-2 average).

Sherando had a few cupcakes this year but it's not their fault that James Wood, Skyline, and Handley were horrible this year. It's amazing to me that Skyline won a playoff game because honestly they're not a very good team. They schedule Martinsburg and Fort Hill who have great programs. I never expected Fort Hill to beat Sherando at halftime of that game I wasn't that impressed with Fort Hill but you could tell in the 2nd half that team is very well coached and very determined.
Are you sure you're from Fred Co (Winchester)? When James Wood played Sherando they were healthy and played the most exciting game between the local teams this year with Sherando winning 14-10. No other team in area was even close to Sherando. Well I guess at that point JW wasn't a cupcake, but after that game they became a very weak team due to injury. I believe someone told me they dressed less than 20 kids for a couple games towards the end of the season. But I do agree with you on the Fort Hill game. I felt the game was Sherando at halftime also.

Are you sure you're from Fred Co (Winchester)? When James Wood played Sherando they were healthy and played the most exciting game between the local teams this year with Sherando winning 14-10. No other team in area was even close to Sherando. Well I guess at that point JW wasn't a cupcake, but after that game they became a very weak team due to injury. I believe someone told me they dressed less than 20 kids for a couple games towards the end of the season. But I do agree with you on the Fort Hill game. I felt the game was Sherando at halftime also.
Honestly I guess it's because it's a rivalry but James Wood always seems to play their best game against Sherando. I saw them against Heritage and they were fully healthy and they got crushed...Heritage is a descent team but do you think they could beat Sherando? Probably Not! James Wood always plays their best game against Sherando.

Ok. Let's put a few things out there. The Northwestern DIstrict 3 out of 5 teams still remaining in playoffs; the River Ridge District 1 out of 8; Dulles District 2 out of 10; Jefferson 2 out of 8; Battlefield 2 out of 6; Evergreen 2 out of 7; Blue Ridge 2 out of 7; Can we dismiss with the bashing of the Northwestern District?

Honestly I guess it's because it's a rivalry but James Wood always seems to play their best game against Sherando. I saw them against Heritage and they were fully healthy and they got crushed...Heritage is a descent team but do you think they could beat Sherando? Probably Not! James Wood always plays their best game against Sherando.
Once again I'm not sure if you are from this area lol. I believe this year was the first time in a while the score was this close. Hammy could tell you better. Because I'm not going to go back and forth with you over James Wood...sorry not going to do it.

Once again I'm not sure if you are from this area lol. I believe this year was the first time in a while the score was this close. Hammy could tell you better. Because I'm not going to go back and forth with you over James Wood...sorry not going to do it.
James Wood and Sherando have played a bunch of close games over the last 7 or 8 years.

Ok. Let's put a few things out there. The Northwestern DIstrict 3 out of 5 teams still remaining in playoffs; the River Ridge District 1 out of 8; Dulles District 2 out of 10; Jefferson 2 out of 8; Battlefield 2 out of 6; Evergreen 2 out of 7; Blue Ridge 2 out of 7; Can we dismiss with the bashing of the Northwestern District?
It's a 5 team district and no one was bashing. The District has 2 strong teams but I'm pretty sure Skyline is not a strong team nor is James Wood. Did Skyline beat a team with a winning record? I saw them play Handley and I wasn't impressed at all with Skyline.

James Wood and Sherando have played a bunch of close games over the last 7 or 8 years.
Ok "boyz19" you are somewhat right. I would't say a bunch of games...maybe 1/2 the games. Based on VHSL Reference site here's the results before this year going back to 2008.

7-44 (2014)
0-48 (2014 - Playoffs)
6-41 (2013)
14-50 (2012)
14-21 (2011)
7-14 (2010)
17-21 (2009)
17-14 (2008)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts