ADVERTISEMENT

Dan River

oldfool2

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 17, 2019
Any word on the score from tonights game against Tunstal?

Game wasn’t even that close. I think Dan River would give Appomattox a heck of a game this year. Would’ve probably been the regional championship game. Shame on Pittsylvania County for being idiots regarding winter and fall this year.

Reactions: Bo Bob
Game wasn’t even that close. I think Dan River would give Appomattox a heck of a game this year. Would’ve probably been the regional championship game. Shame on Pittsylvania County for being idiots regarding winter and fall this year.
Dan River normally plays a tough game against Appomattox, They are not to be taken lightly for sure.

Dan River normally plays a tough game against Appomattox, They are not to be taken lightly for sure.
I remember in 2016, the mud fest, Dan River and Appo played a classic in the rain. Was so many athletes on the field that night. Good times! It’s a shame that Dan River can never put it all together, but I think this year’s team could’ve made a little noise. Robert Carter is a special player.

I remember in 2016, the mud fest, Dan River and Appo played a classic in the rain. Was so many athletes on the field that night. Good times! It’s a shame that Dan River can never put it all together, but I think this year’s team could’ve made a little noise. Robert Carter is a special player.
What a game that was! That was a pounding rain!!!

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
What I remember most about that 16 season was the second round of playoffs and Dan River making noise in the paper about “We want Appo” and already hyping up the rematch in round 3. Coach Edmunds even saying, when talking about Union, “We have 13-14 kids we can get the ball to, they have 1”....then that 1 (future NFL TE James Mitchell) securing a 95 Yd TD reception to make sure the rematch never happened. Dan River always seems to do that in postseason. 2013 loaded with D1 and future NFL talent and lose at home to us at Buckingham. 2014, winning 21-7 about to go up more but then Tremaine gets hurt, and the Knights win 50-21. Just horrible misfortunes.

I remember that they were totally focused on a rematch with us. Then Union with that late score by Mitchell ended their season.
Following week we ended Unions 43-0 I think.

What I remember most about that 16 season was the second round of playoffs and Dan River making noise in the paper about “We want Appo” and already hyping up the rematch in round 3. Coach Edmunds even saying, when talking about Union, “We have 13-14 kids we can get the ball to, they have 1”....then that 1 (future NFL TE James Mitchell) securing a 95 Yd TD reception to make sure the rematch never happened. Dan River always seems to do that in postseason. 2013 loaded with D1 and future NFL talent and lose at home to us at Buckingham. 2014, winning 21-7 about to go up more but then Tremaine gets hurt, and the Knights win 50-21. Just horrible misfortunes.
Thanks for the memories. To be quite honest, Dan River has underachieved so much. Their 2013 team was LOADED. Come on, two first rounders, a DE who played high level D1 ball and played for the Bears, and a couple more D2/D3 players. LOADED. Their 2016 team was just as good athletically. Just ran a piss poor offense and wasn’t focused as you stated. ARROGANTLY looked over Union. I have a lot of respect for Dan River, they are what GW Danville used to be. A LOT of community support and those guys play with pride.

Dan River never had any offense. Never used their playmakers to their advantage, even though the new coach is a lot better in the playcalling. They looked unorganized and unprepared for years. @Bo Bob I don’t know if you recall the Appomattox/Dan River game in 2011, but Appo’s smaller secondary and linebackers easily tackled Trey Edmunds (VT/Maryland/Saints/Steelers) as the DR offensive line never got to the second level. Edmunds had like 30 carries for 60 yards. It wasn’t good.

I don’t remember that.
I do know that I talked with folks and asked the question, “how the heck do they not have some titles?”

Thanks for the memories. To be quite honest, Dan River has underachieved so much. Their 2013 team was LOADED. Come on, two first rounders, a DE who played high level D1 ball and played for the Bears, and a couple more D2/D3 players. LOADED. Their 2016 team was just as good athletically. Just ran a piss poor offense and wasn’t focused as you stated. ARROGANTLY looked over Union. I have a lot of respect for Dan River, they are what GW Danville used to be. A LOT of community support and those guys play with pride.

Dan River never had any offense. Never used their playmakers to their advantage, even though the new coach is a lot better in the playcalling. They looked unorganized and unprepared for years. @Bo Bob I don’t know if you recall the Appomattox/Dan River game in 2011, but Appo’s smaller secondary and linebackers easily tackled Trey Edmunds (VT/Maryland/Saints/Steelers) as the DR offensive line never got to the second level. Edmunds had like 30 carries for 60 yards. It wasn’t good.
Didn't DR also have an offensive lineman that signed with Cornell, something Walton I believe? Can't remember the years he played, but DR has had a ton of talent over the years and has done very little with it.

Didn't DR also have an offensive lineman that signed with Cornell, something Walton I believe? Can't remember the years he played, but DR has had a ton of talent over the years and has done very little with it.
Yep he was the class of 2013. Also had a RB that transferred from GW (McMoore) that had Ivy League offers. Dan River was stacked with athletes from 2011-2016.

I thought I read that they were eligible for postseason play, even with the fewer games. Did I remember incorrectly and those schools won't be playing in postseason??

I thought I read that they were eligible for postseason play, even with the fewer games. Did I remember incorrectly and those schools won't be playing in postseason??
They won’t be eligible for postseason play smh

Needless to say, people in BSG were aware of how Dan River viewed Union going into that game lol.
And honestly, from the flow of the game, Union wasn't some big underdog that got lucky. Union held DR under 250 total yards, outgained them by nearly 100 yards, turnovers were +1 in DRs favor, etc..in Ringgold after the long trip. Sure didn't seem like they had 13-14 guys to throw the ball to, DR only managed 48 passing yards lol. Aside from Durant (I believe that was RBs name), Dan River couldn't do much of anything on the Union defense.

The Appomattox team was just way better than Union in 2016, it was over early. 2017 was a diff story, that was an epic matchup between I believe the two best 2A teams, but the year before Raiders just kicked ass. 2015, ugh, that Union team was much better than 2016 but thought they'd just steamroll Clarke and they got smacked in mouth and never got rolling, I would have liked to see the two teams meet that year. Appo had the incredible come from behind in the fourth against Richlands to get the W, Union also scraped by Richlands in reg season, I think it would have been a great game had they met in 2015.

I know that Union team in 2015 was good. I think you’re right when you said they took Clarke for granted.
That Richlands game that Appo had in 2015 was the greatest game I’ve personally watched.

I know that Union team in 2015 was good. I think you’re right when you said they took Clarke for granted.
That Richlands game that Appo had in 2015 was the greatest game I’ve personally watched.
They also were shockingly unprepared for Clarke's single wing style attack. Was really mind blowing. Bears also had in house issues that weekend, the kids just weren't focused and ready to go. If they played ten times, I feel like Union wins six or so.
that Richlands/Appomattox game was insane. It seemed like Blues were in total control and cruising then bam, in the fourth the Raiders come roaring back, get it to OT and then sealed the deal. Did Buster Henderson get the INT in OT?

That game really showed how much Richlands was hurt by not having a consistent running game. They were unable to chew any clock at all and Appomattox got just enough time to pull off the improbable comeback.

The INT in overtime was made by Javon Scruggs, a sophomore at the time.
Yea it was back and forth with a couple deep tour-overs. Then Richlands went up by 7 and then tacked on another for 14 with 7 minutes to go.
I think I needed therapy after and during that game.

Reactions: oldfool2
They’re only playing 3 games. At least Hanover is going to let their high schools play twice to qualify for the playoffs. Just total ineptitude in Pittsylvania County.

If it's by number of games played, then I believe they are still eligible. If it's a County decision then that is a different situation.

Unless something has changed, then 3 games can qualify

If it's by number of games played, then I believe they are still eligible. If it's a County decision then that is a different situation.

Unless something has changed, then 3 games can qualify
Thank you! Didn’t know that!

And shame on the VHSL for allowing that to happen (allowing the basketball team a first seed with one game).

If Pittsylvania Co backed out in the rest of the Dogwood because .”it didn’t want to travel” then they shouldn’t be allowed to travel for playoffs, therefore be out.
Their decision to not play in the Dogwood hurts Appomattox and the points they can receive.

Seminole only playing in the Seminole hurts even more. Im sure LCA or Glass would have liked to picked up a game from us or even bedford to have played us. If Vhsl let schools come in late then Appo should be allowed to cancel one of our 2nd time games to play them.

Reactions: Bo Bob
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT