ADVERTISEMENT

Dawgs received a reality check

Gate City plays Floyd Co in the upcoming weeks, correct?

Yea I think i seen on the schedule where they play them again this year. Has MHS already played them? GC had one of their worst games against that bunch when they played them last year

I checked. GC plays Floyd Co in the Chance Harmon Classic on January 7th.

Yes, Martinsville beat Floyd Co, rather handly. They are a scrappy bunch.

Yea they are always a pretty scrappy and fundamentally sound team. Do they have any real scoring threats this year?

GC plays Boone again tonight. Will be interesting to see how this one turns out. Ervin had a bad game last time they played and GC relied on McClung and Freshman Dean to get the job done. It's very hard to beat Boone at their place. Your always playing 5 vs 8 at their place..Moreso than anywhere else I've ever seen.

Floyd Co doesn't have any more Caleb Tanners on the team. :)

Ohhhh I see. Well...That doesn't help their case any but I'm alright with that. I checked their record this year and looked at the scores of the games they've played. Doesnt look like they've faired too well so far.....And MHS doubled them up. From what I seen I think the most theyve scored this year in one game is like 37 pts. That's not exactly blowing the doors off the hinges lol. Either they aren't too impressive or the all the teams they have played have had absolutely smothering defenses.

What does Chatham have to do with Dan River being a contender? Chatham is no doubt scrappy but I think the Catz might have been caught looking ahead. To the Chatham kids, that win over DR was their state championship. They may lose every game the rest of the way but since they beat DR their season is a success. They'll be taking about that game for the rest of their lives. DR should by no means be judged off of that loss. They put a whippin' on an improved Tunstall team tonight.
i don't think you can make DR or MHS the top dogs in 2A when you have only seen them play. I was at the Tunstall game last night and I wasn't impressed at all. Tunstall is big but they are soft. Didn't imply any strategy to try to slow Dan Rivers guards down at all and Zemar an undersized big going for 18points and 13rebounds wouldn't happen with the right strategy. I see Altavista giving them another loss at their place for regular season. I have had a chance to see a lot of basketball teams and if you find a team with one post player and some guards to play team help defense and take care of the basketball. Dan River falls easily. Can't be a contender without any shooters on your basketball team. I also had a chance to watch Chatham play Atavista last week have you seen either of them play?

Reactions: AntGZee
i don't think you can make DR or MHS the top dogs in 2A when you have only seen them play. I was at the Tunstall game last night and I wasn't impressed at all. Tunstall is big but they are soft. Didn't imply any strategy to try to slow Dan Rivers guards down at all and Zemar an undersized big going for 18points and 13rebounds wouldn't happen with the right strategy. I see Altavista giving them another loss at their place for regular season. I have had a chance to see a lot of basketball teams and if you find a team with one post player and some guards to play team help defense and take care of the basketball. Dan River falls easily. Can't be a contender without any shooters on your basketball team. I also had a chance to watch Chatham play Atavista last week have you seen either of them play?
Altavista has about 2 and a half ballers on their team. I was at the Altavista/Chatham game as well. Dan River will beat both handily. Nice win by Chatham last week over DR. Once in every blue moon win Last night Dan River played lights out. Tunstall isn't the same scrub Tunstall team of the past. They have about 3 players that can give teams fits. No Tunstall wasn't allthat aggressive but they didn't roll over. Altavista though!?!? LOL!!! Nah home slice. I'd say Martinsville would beat them by 25+ and DR will beat them, maybe be a closer game at Altavista.

DanvilleSportsHead, that 6'8 kid for Tunstall; if he ever worked on his game....( my Dollar Bill voice ) there would be TROUBLE TROUBLE!

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
DanvilleSportsHead, that 6'8 kid for Tunstall; if he ever worked on his game....( my Dollar Bill voice ) there would be TROUBLE TROUBLE!
I graduated from Tunstall in 2012 so I've been around these kids since they were playing youth league. There's absolutely no development of their game. Tunstall has in good Coach in Price but sometimes I question is it about him or is it about the kids. #10 Pyrtle and #12 Terry have been balling at a high level since they were in 4th/5th grade when I met them my sophomore year at Tunstall. There's no cohesiveness on the court tho. Those two should be the guards and #3 Ben Donahue has serious range and he isn't scared should be the SF. #5 which was their QB is 6'5 should be their PF. I was mostly impressed with #40 Jalen Moore. Kid has a nice foundation as far as a post game goes. The 6'8 kid hasn't worked. I went to their open gym the past few summers and there's no development from his sophomore year to senior year.

Altavista has about 2 and a half ballers on their team. I was at the Altavista/Chatham game as well. Dan River will beat both handily. Nice win by Chatham last week over DR. Once in every blue moon win Last night Dan River played lights out. Tunstall isn't the same scrub Tunstall team of the past. They have about 3 players that can give teams fits. No Tunstall wasn't allthat aggressive but they didn't roll over. Altavista though!?!? LOL!!! Nah home slice. I'd say Martinsville would beat them by 25+ and DR will beat them, maybe be a closer game at Altavista.
Dan River lost to Altavista last year and they were a much better team than this year. Altavista loss no one. And added Gretna's best player. Chatham has had their full team from what I have heard since before the dan river game. They were missing 2 starters that game and missing their leading scorer the game they played Altavista he was on crouches during the game. I'm not to bash anyone's teams but Tunstall is improved but still awful. And your right about Jalen he is their best post player. Your team is only as good as coached and if the coach is willing to put the right guys on the floor then the team is just as bad. The two guards you speak of don't even play on the floor the same times from what I have seen. They have no offense plays and can take no one off the dribble. You graduating from Tunstall should know you can't give Dan River a title because they can beat Tunstall. You future predicting them beating Chatham and Altavista. Let's let them earn something by beating someone before we hand them the crown.

Last edited:
Dan River lost to Altavista last year and they were a much better team than this year. Altavista loss no one. And added Gretna's best player. Chatham has had their full team from what I have heard since before the dan river game. They were missing 2 starters that game and missing their leading scorer the game they played Altavista he was on crouches during the game. I'm not to bash anyone's teams but Tunstall is improved but still awful. And your right about Jalen he is their best post player. Your team is only as good as coached and if the coach is willing to put the right guys on the floor then the team is just as bad. The two guards you speak of don't even play on the floor the same times from what I have seen. They have no offense plays and can take no one off the dribble. You graduating from Tunstall should know you can't give Dan River a title because they can beat Tunstall. You future predicting them beating Chatham and Altavista. Let's let them earn something by beating someone before we hand them the crown.
I'll give you that big bro, although, I wasn't impressed at all with Altavista. Like you said, let the kids ball. I saw GW tonight and I think DR and Martinsville could give them a L. It's all about what team shows up that night. I'm excited to see how teams like Brunswick, Mason, Madison, Gate City, etc does this year. 2a could very well be a toss up.

I wanted to go to that game tonight. I am going to watch games tomorrow night at Altavista for their Christmas tourney. GW runs no plays it's all isolation. I think MHS could possibly beat them with their 2-3 defense but Dan River would play right into the hands of how GW wants to play.

I wanted to go to that game tonight. I am going to watch games tomorrow night at Altavista for their Christmas tourney. GW runs no plays it's all isolation. I think MHS could possibly beat them with their 2-3 defense but Dan River would play right into the hands of how GW wants to play.
GW is talented but they have a cancer on the team. Won't go into details but as talented as they are, this will be their downfall. Beat Glass by 9 tonight. Glass just didn't have the depth. Mville/GW will be a good matchup. I see Halifax and Mville possibly giving GW a L.

I'm told Greensville County is looking good too. Lost to Handley by 13 and scored 70 on Lake Taylor, 2 very good 4a programs. Don't know what all they have but they ended Dan River's season last year before the Dawgs sent em home.

I know Peebles graduated....But did they lose any more off their roster due to graduation? Was wondering if those boys would be back in it again this year.

The Bulldawgs ended Greensville Co's season the last two years. Where did Pebbles go to school? I'm not sure what Greensville Co has back. I know they had pretty good talent last year. They lacked consistent outside shooting; it doomed them against the Bulldawgs in the chip.

The Astrop kid for Greensville was just a junior, but I'm fairly sure that his back court mate and the 5'3 spark plug off the bench graduated.

Altavista took down 4A Amherst last night and has your Tunstall Trojans tonight? Amherst also beat EcGlass and some other tough opponents. Going to the game tonight @DanvilleSportsHead I'll be there!!

Altavista took down 4A Amherst last night and has your Tunstall Trojans tonight? Amherst also beat EcGlass and some other tough opponents. Going to the game tonight @DanvilleSportsHead I'll be there!!
Gotcha. I'm not sold on em but hey they're almost unbeatable at home. They'll beat Tunstall by 15+. I heard Tunstall gave Brookville a game but Tunstall needs new direction of that program. I may come over if I get bored today lol.. Wish Dan River was in it.

Gotcha. I'm not sold on em but hey they're almost unbeatable at home. They'll beat Tunstall by 15+. I heard Tunstall gave Brookville a game but Tunstall needs new direction of that program. I may come over if I get bored today lol.. Wish Dan River was in it.
I'm not sold on Dan River so I guess it's understandable lol. It's actually sad how everyone can see the way visiting teams are treated by the refs in Altavista you will be lucky to get 7 team fouls. Which is why they are unbeatable at home. Tough environment to win at.

I'm not sold on Dan River so I guess it's understandable lol. It's actually sad how everyone can see the way visiting teams are treated by the refs in Altavista you will be lucky to get 7 team fouls. Which is why they are unbeatable at home. Tough environment to win at.
Besides the fact that Chatham turned the ball over maybe 15 times and missed 10 layups, the officials played a part in their loss last week. Altavista was in the bonus just about all game long. A lot of ticky tat fouls. No kind of flow to the game at all.

I wonder why Chatham doesn't play Martinsville on a regular basis?

I wonder why Chatham doesn't play Martinsville on a regular basis?
Y'all don't want to play Chatham. Since I can remember Chatham has had like 4 good teams since 2000. That's like playing Tunstall 4x a year.. I'd like to see Martinsville play DR, Altavista and Winston Salem Prep. I'd also like to see Martinsville and GW in a competitive Christmas tournament like the Frank Spencer in Winston or the John Wall Invitational (regular high school bracket) down in Raleigh.

That's the better question I wonder why Dan River not on Martinsville schedule??? Use to play each other every year but as teams get better it seems that they tend to remove those teams from the schedule. No way Martinsville and Dan River shouldn't play each other 3-4 times a year. Regular season then regionals and maybe states

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT