ADVERTISEMENT

Dawgs received a reality check

AntGZee

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Gold Member
Nov 30, 2015
No need for details. My Bulldawgs were humbled 2nite by Halifax Co. Halifax is one tough team. Well coached team with some good ballplayers.

Was actually a 3 point game midway through the 3rd before Halifax went on a monster run. The shots just weren't falling for the Dogs. Final was 58-39 Comets. Not much to be ashamed of tonight, HC is a 5A team, and a very good one at that. Ought to be a real good game Friday night when Halifax faces GW Danville.

Reactions: AntGZee
Martinsville settled for too many 3s. It would've been closer if Martinsville would've drove and been more aggressive. Don't think any player for Halifax had over 2 fouls.

Nice to see you tonite DSH. Mavahi still trying to figure out their identity this year. I agree they didn't attack the basket like they should, but Halifax plays a very good helping man to man and made it difficult to get to the hoop. And when they got to the basket they couldn't make anything. When the Comets made their run in the 3rd the Bulldogs turned the ball over about 7-8 times, then 3 dunks and 4 layups later the game was over. Halifax is a very solid team, well coached. Ought to be a battle between them and GW Friday night. Won't be any shortage of athletes on the floor that's for sure.

Nice to see you tonite DSH. Mavahi still trying to figure out their identity this year. I agree they didn't attack the basket like they should, but Halifax plays a very good helping man to man and made it difficult to get to the hoop. And when they got to the basket they couldn't make anything. When the Comets made their run in the 3rd the Bulldogs turned the ball over about 7-8 times, then 3 dunks and 4 layups later the game was over. Halifax is a very solid team, well coached. Ought to be a battle between them and GW Friday night. Won't be any shortage of athletes on the floor that's for sure.
Nice meeting you as well sir. I think the Dogs are talented as they come but I noticed quite of few things that caused this and may very well be their downfall this year. I watched them in warmups dunking and horsing around. I counted 4 Dogs fall down attempting dunks, who could've very well hurt themselves. I also noticed the influence the crowd had on the team. While Halifax was going thru drills during warm ups, Martinsville was dapping up fans, laughing, joking, etc. I sat court side and heard a lot of profanities from the players towards the opponents and officials. I question the Dogs focus. I'm not knocking them, but giving observations that contributed to this loss tonight. I've never seen a team come inside the Dog Pound and beat up on Martinsville like Halifax did in the second half. I think Martinsville will be alright but they have to tighten up and be more focused. I say the same about GW. If they're focused, no team in the state can beat them but if they're not focused then Patrick Co will give them an L.

Sounds like Halifax is back, after a year away. Epperly is is a great coach. Who knows, maybe they'll give Albemarle a run for their money in the conference this year...

I also saw the lack of focus. They didn't bother to warm up at half time. Hopefully Halifax was just an attitude adjustment for my Dawgs. I believe they'll be ok if they refocus.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Epperly isn't the coach anymore. He resigned in the summer and one of the varsity assistants has taken over as interim head coach. He's a young guy but the Halifax team seemed to respond to him very well. In my opinion they were still a very well coached team. Ran their offense and looked for the good shot and defensively they were very good, Martinsville got few good looks at the basket and the ones they got they couldn't make. Halifax was solid.

I also saw the lack of focus. They didn't bother to warm up at half time. Hopefully Halifax was just an attitude adjustment for my Dawgs. I believe they'll be ok if the refocus.
Without a doubt they will be alright. I've played for Coach Atkins before. With the talent he has and the style of play, they'll be playing in March.

I really wish Adkins would use his 3/4 pressure D. Maximize his athletes and talent. Their identity can be a run a gun type team. I don't see them being a 1/2 court offensive team.

What you saw, Danville Sports Head, is certainly not typical Martinsville basketball. I would hope that the coaching staff would "gather the reins" but this may have been a question of reading some of the comments on here and not focusing on playing basketball. And, although I hope no one got hurt trying to dunk, let's pray Coach Adkins puts a quick end to that pre-game practice.

GC has came very close to a few players getting injured during warmups this year dunking the ball. At times they get a little carried away having too much fun and are not focused. Would be bad to see any team lose players to dunking in warmups and horsing around. Wouldnt mind at all to see VHSL go back to the "no dunking in warm ups" rule that was in place up until a few years ago....if you did you were T'd up and losing before the game was started.

It also may have been a classic sign of overconfidence - "after all, we are the defending 2-A state champs? Right, guys?" No, not actually- this is a brand-new season where everyone starts off in a tie for first. I agree, sharkfan, let's get the VHSL to ban pre-game dunking again - as I recall, player safety was a valid concern back then - as it should be now. I remember quite a few players whose athletic careers were cut short by pre-game hi-jinks.

Their identity can be a run a gun type team. I don't see them being a 1/2 court offensive team.
If the 'Dogs become a "run/n/gun" team, I don't see them winning another state title. There is still no shot clock - thank the powers that be! - in high school so what's the need to get up and down the court in such a hurry? You may compete against the other team but you play against that "monster" up on the wall - the clock - and it can tick for you or against you. You certainly don't want to give an opponent enough time to set-up a shot that could cost you a trip to the "Big Dance" - much less the preliminary competitions.

You may be rite as far as run and gun goes. I do think that they should press more. They have the personnel to do so.

Forcing opponents into making mistakes by using pressure defense is entirely different from a "run'n'gun" offense. I heard many opposing coaches ask how many players the 'Dogs had on the floor when they applied pressure "D" back in the day. It does require a deep bench and the coach's belief that his players KNOW the difference between the two.

The pressure D was more of my intent than the run-and-gun.

I believe the way the dawgs and other schools schedule tough opponents early is the reason for their success later in the season. You can beat all the cupcakes you want but when it comes down to it, you have to beat the best to be the best.

So Chatham is that good? And I don't mean that to sound like a jackwagon comment...But for DR to be playing for the 2A title this year that must mean Chatham is a powerhouse, correct?

I think RE Lee, Madison County, East Rock (if Rogers kid makes it back), Gate City, Richlands, and Graham will all have something to say about who wins the title this year....Not just a MHS and DR show. To be clear, I expect DR and MHS to both be in it....But i dont think it will be solely a Martinsville and Dan River show like it's been for a while. MHS has been dominant no doubt and DR has been stout.....But I think this year that's a bit more parity across the state. Just my opinion on the matter.

I wish MHS or DR would come play in the Arbys Classic. There needs to be more than 1 team from VA in it.

MHS played in the Arby's about ten years ago. Maybe 2005?

Anyhow, I don't think it'll only be a MHS vs DR show either. Heck, MHS got a pretty good scare on the road at Glenvar tonight. The Dogs have a good amount of work to be done. I think fans seem to get so use to the teams that they see and know and put the blinders on. There's good basketball being played in other parts of the state as well.

So Chatham is that good? And I don't mean that to sound like a jackwagon comment...But for DR to be playing for the 2A title this year that must mean Chatham is a powerhouse, correct?
What does Chatham have to do with Dan River being a contender? Chatham is no doubt scrappy but I think the Catz might have been caught looking ahead. To the Chatham kids, that win over DR was their state championship. They may lose every game the rest of the way but since they beat DR their season is a success. They'll be taking about that game for the rest of their lives. DR should by no means be judged off of that loss. They put a whippin' on an improved Tunstall team tonight.

Anyhow, I don't think it'll only be a MHS vs DR show either. Heck, MHS got a pretty good scare on the road at Glenvar tonight. The Dogs have a good amount of work to be done. I think fans seem to get so use to the teams that they see and know and put the blinders on. There's good basketball being played in other parts of the state as well.
They played the year they won the state championship with Shaquan Beamer, Emmanuel Reid and Wimbush. You're right it was 05.

I don't think I started going to the Arbys til around 2007 or so. I'd like to see some other teams represent the state of VA. GC usually gets some really tough draws in the first round....Which there really isn't any weak teams to begin with but it's usually a quick trip to the losers bracket for the Devils. Still good experience nonetheless.

Is Glenvar a pretty talented team or did the Dogs just have a bad game? When teams win as much as MHS has, people do tend to get used to it and automatically have them in the final in their minds. I know that the players for MHS don't think that way..... Probably moreso fans of other teams and the occasional homer fans that only show up when things are going good.

I think RE Lee and Madison are gonna be hard for anyone to deal with this year....Those are my picks out of the east.

Edit: I actually started going to the Arbys around 04 or 05. So I probably seen MHS play and just don't remember.

What does Chatham have to do with Dan River being a contender? Chatham is no doubt scrappy but I think the Catz might have been caught looking ahead. To the Chatham kids, that win over DR was their state championship. They may lose every game the rest of the way but since they beat DR their season is a success. They'll be taking about that game for the rest of their lives. DR should by no means be judged off of that loss. They put a whippin' on an improved Tunstall team tonight.

I wasn't writing off DR just because they lost.....I know they are talented. But to say that the state title should come down to MHS and DR is a mouthful after coming fresh off a loss to Chatham. You didn't just say contender (if you had I would have been in agreeance completely).....but you said the title should come down to those 2 teams. Just curious, how many of the contenders across the state of VA have you seen play this year? It's so early in the seasom I've only had the opportunity to see 2-3 teams play from VA....so its hard for me to narrow down the state title winner to just 2 teams this early.

I seem to remember that Martinsville played Dobbyns Bennett down there that year, not sure whom else they played.

As for tonight, Glenvar had reeled off like 4 wins in a row or something before tonight. So they're looking like a fairly solid group. MHS did build a comfortable lead a little before halftime. But Glenvar knocked down quite a few timely 3s and kept it close until the very end.

I wasn't writing off DR just because they lost.....I know they are talented. But to say that the state title should come down to MHS and DR is a mouthful after coming fresh off a loss to Chatham. Just curious, how many of the contenders across the state of VA have you seen play this year? It's so early in the seasom I've only had the opportunity to see 2-3 teams play from VA....so its hard for me to narrow down the state title winner to just 2 teams this early.
Gotcha! And I haven't seen anyone but Martinsville and Dan River. I'm trying to see Gate City, RE Lee and Madison hopefully come playoff time. Their schedule should have the Dogs prepped to 3 peat. No doubt there's teams out there that can beat those two teams.

Well Dobbyns Bennett used to have a real solid team back in those years.... However in the past couple years they have went ice cold. (Which is hard for me to fathom when you have thousands of kids to choose from in a 6A school)

I was thinking I had heard someone else mention that Glenvar wouldnt be an easy out by any means....Maybe heard it over on the SWVA board. Maybe MHS just got complacent after building the lead. That's something you can't do especially if your playing a team with 3 pt shooters. If they get hot it gets interesting real quick. FRom what I read last year, that's how Radford won one of their games against MHS....Hit like 13 or 14 treys and still only won by 1 or 2 points. You know there's a whooping in store the next time round if those shooters aren't hitting all those shots again.

Looked it up. Dogs went 2-2 at Arby's in 2006.

That's pretty impressive actually. Did they beat DB in their opener? I think GC only won 1 game last year in the classic and that was against the hometown THS. It's hard to win just 1 game unless you get pitted up against a local team. It's borderline unfair playing those prep schools lol

Gotcha! And I haven't seen anyone but Martinsville and Dan River. I'm trying to see Gate City, RE Lee and Madison hopefully come playoff time. Their schedule should have the Dogs prepped to 3 peat. No doubt there's teams out there that can beat those two teams.

I've been wanting to see Lee, MHS, and DR. However, I'd like to see them before the post season in a game that doesnt include my team so I can just watch and enjoy. I fully expect MHS and DR to be in it this year.

Really don't know how good Graham is but I expect them to be tough with the way their JV played last year plus the pieces to the puzzle that they brought back from last years team. Union isn't nearly what everyone had expected them to be and I don't think they will be a factor whatsoever. Richlands will be tough but just got word tonight that 2 of their players won't be playing that was supposed to be coming over from football. One was their post player and the other was the talented WR that got ejected and didn't get to play for the state title game. Richlands will still be very good...But those two not playing is a big lick.

As for the east, other than what I have read and watched online, I really have no clue. RE Lee sounds like the real deal though out of everyone I've heard about. I feel like they will be in it all the way til the end. Could be wrong.

Beat DB in opening round by 9. Lost by 4 to Holy Cross (Louisiana). Beat Tennessee High by 2. Lost 5th place game by 5 to Greeneville.

Mayberry, didn't the Dogs win state in 2006, the year they broke RE Lee's 88 game win streak in the finals. Not the most talented mavahi team by a long shot but had alot of heart and were extremely well coached

I've been wanting to see Lee, MHS, and DR. However, I'd like to see them before the post season in a game that doesnt include my team so I can just watch and enjoy. I fully expect MHS and DR to be in it this year.

Really don't know how good Graham is but I expect them to be tough with the way their JV played last year plus the pieces to the puzzle that they brought back from last years team. Union isn't nearly what everyone had expected them to be and I don't think they will be a factor whatsoever. Richlands will be tough but just got word tonight that 2 of their players won't be playing that was supposed to be coming over from football. One was their post player and the other was the talented WR that got ejected and didn't get to play for the state title game. Richlands will still be very good...But those two not playing is a big lick.

As for the east, other than what I have read and watched online, I really have no clue. RE Lee sounds like the real deal though out of everyone I've heard about. I feel like they will be in it all the way til the end. Could be wrong.
I agree Sharkfan. I've heard the George kid is the real deal and they have a couple of big bodies. Definitely will be an uphill challenge as Martinsville's biggest player is 6'4? And DR runs 5 guards. Gate City will be in the mix as always and so will Madison.

Reactions: sharkfan83
GC is 8-24 in 13 appearances

It's been tough sledding for GC in the Arbys. Suprised at the 8 wins honestly. Not sure if DB or THS is in it this year or not....But if so that would be two pretty easy wins to tally up as both teams are very down.

I agree Sharkfan. I've heard the George kid is the real deal and they have a couple of big bodies. Definitely will be an uphill challenge as Martinsville's biggest player is 6'4? And DR runs 5 guards. Gate City will be in the mix as always and so will Madison.

Until a couple nights ago....teams with alot of size like the kids from RE Lee is what concerned me if GC were lucky enough to make it far enough to see a team like that. However, GC did well against a 6'11", 6'9", and 6'6" lineup that Knox Christian brought to GC. The big guys didn't have a Marshall commitment next to their name.....But they were also really young (freshman & sophomore). The tallest player could name his destination if he packs on some weight....Very good player but his body reminded me of Manute Bol.

GC not having a post presence of their own concerns me. Ervin is tall and can take over a game but he's not exactly a post up player in the paint. Collier is more of a post player but is only about 6'2" so that doesn't bode well for him against the giants.

I would say GC is moreso like DR this year....Alot of guard play. Don't know where all the huge foreign exchange students are when a team needs one....Should maybe contact Radford or Twin Springs and ask them if GC can borrow one.

Radford beat Martinsville once last year. The Dawgs blasted Radford the first time that they played, by 20. Now Glenvar has good 3 point shooters and it did keep them in the game. Martinsville has to be a bit more disciplined on their defensive assignments. I still believe that they are one of the favorites. Their schedule will have them prepped for the post season.

Yea that's what I was referring to but got confused.... Thought Radford won the first game and lost the last one. Shooters can keep you in a game sometimes that shouldn't even be close. But you live and die by the 3 ball....If you hit 13 or 14 deep balls on someone and barely win, the next time around the odds of hitting that many 3 pt shots are slim. Sounded like that's exactly what happened to Radford last year against MHS.

I fully expect to see a combination of MHS, DR, Graham/Richlands, and hopefully GC in the western side of things just like last year. The yearly games GC plays across the state line into TN usually gets them prepared...But this year THS isn't strong at all. Daniel Boone is the only real competition that they play out of TN. The Arbys will yet again prove to be a different animal though. Just hope the Devil's show some resiliency when they face inevitable diversity in the classic against Wings Academy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT