ADVERTISEMENT

Deep Creek losing 3 Starters to private school recruiting

Aug 22, 2012
Word is that Deep Creek will be losing starting QB/CB and starting RB/CB along with another athlete to Portsmouth Christian. Portsmouth Christian has been recruiting them heavily all summer and trying to come up with enough money so they can come to pcs tuition free. All this is an effort to keep DaKendal James, a former hornet, from transferring out.

Typical of private or parochial schools in other states. Starting here I guess. In New Jersey in the 1960s and 1970s the top 20 statewide was nearly all public schools. Now most of the top 10 are private/parochial schools as they can legally "recruit" and give free tuition to the best from their endowments.

Typical of private or parochial schools in other states. Starting here I guess. In New Jersey in the 1960s and 1970s the top 20 statewide was nearly all public schools. Now most of the top 10 are private/parochial schools as they can legally "recruit" and give free tuition to the best from their endowments.
I think it is probably just normal ebb and flow. Private and parochial schools have been in existence for a long time in Virginia but, have not taken off as much as in other states due to economic, geographic and demographic factors coupled with the actual quality of public school education in the state of Virginia compared to some other states. Recruiting may pick up more in the future, however, this is a double edged sword for private schools. If player X on scholarship from whatever source cuts down on the opportunities for Johnny/Cindy whose parents are paying full freight they risk losing the support(i.e., attendance/tuition) of that kid as there are in all likelihood other private or even public opportunities available to that family.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I think it is probably just normal ebb and flow. Private and parochial schools have been in existence for a long time in Virginia but, have not taken off as much as in other states due to economic, geographic and demographic factors coupled with the actual quality of public school education in the state of Virginia compared to some other states. Recruiting may pick up more in the future, however, this is a double edged sword for private schools. If player X on scholarship from whatever source cuts down on the opportunities for Johnny/Cindy whose parents are paying full freight they risk losing the support(i.e., attendance/tuition) of that kid as there are in all likelihood other private or even public opportunities available to that family.

Extremely well articulated. Especially the part about parents footing the entire bill for 10-11 years, and then the school brings in a kid on scholarship that keeps little Johnny on the bench. That can tear a school apart in a hurry.

And I agree with you on the fact that public schools across Virginia, by and large, are pretty darn good. Yeah, I know there are exceptions, but for most kids, a public school offers a chance at at a quality education. And so, it reduces the migration to privates to a significant degree.

(Of course Bishop Sullivan is an extreme example of what can take place, this year.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT