ADVERTISEMENT

News Developmental plan proposed

As mentioned in the article, some schools already have a similar plan in place. It may not be formal but there is certainly some emphasis from the coaching staff on these elements at some schools.

I cannot disagree on any of this, especially the leadership component, but I suspect it will not be something that can be made mandatory. The kids will certainly be provided the ability to "opt out" if interests, academic or time constraints, etc cause a conflict-similar to what currently exists where a lot of schools have off season work outs. You can attend off season work outs or not, but if you don't attend you probably will stand less of a chance of making the team or getting playing time. That is fine as it is the student's/family's choice.

I do see an issue from the school administration or coaching end. Implementing a full program like this would be just one more thing piled onto the coaching staff and they already give so much of their time as it is. For this idea to be truly effective, it will have to have one of two things in place: an (already) dedicated coaching staff willing to take on the additional responsibilities and time, or else adding another staff member to the school athletic department. I don't see adding another staffing position happening in this age of declining budgets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT