ADVERTISEMENT

Did I read that 4a state is inlynchburg

Not to make an argument, just being as reasonable as possible, but who would benefit from playing a state 3a and 4a way at JMU? Last year was enough of illogical thinking of the VHSL, they finally get it right. I currently reside in Richmond, 35 minutes from W&M and 100 miles down Route 33 from JMU (most teams aren’t going to go this way due to the narrow mountain roads). Lynchburg is the easiest drive for all 4a and 3a schools just due to its proximity to Route 29 and 460. I personally love visiting JMU and the Valley area and I think they have nice facilities to host a local semi-final but the state championship belongs to Liberty. As much as I love VCU and the Siegel Center, I believe Liberty should be the host of the basketball finals. Lynchburg is the most central location in the state.
This is where I have to respectfully disagree. If we are going to talk about what is most central, it’s not Lynchburg, that would be Charlottesville. It’s nearly in the center of the state and it would be much easier to get to for those of us coming from the Northwestern District and other parts of Region C. A trip from Richmond to Harrisonburg may have a route that is a mountainous one but the same can be said about the routes for Region C going to Lynchburg. It’s never going to be 100% fair for anyone hence I said it would be nice if the state final was hosted there every once in awhile, it doesn’t need to be there every year.

This is where I have to respectfully disagree. If we are going to talk about what is most central, it’s not Lynchburg, that would be Charlottesville. It’s nearly in the center of the state and it would be much easier to get to for those of us coming from the Northwestern District and other parts of Region C. A trip from Richmond to Harrisonburg may have a route that is a mountainous one but the same can be said about the routes for Region C going to Lynchburg. It’s never going to be 100% fair for anyone hence I said it would be nice if the state final was hosted there every once in awhile, it doesn’t need to be there every year.
Charlottesville is much better for class 4 than Lynchburg, IMO. I've heard Liberty' s stadium is more available than Scott Stadium, though.

Reactions: BigBWincCity
Well said sir and I respect it. I personally believe that if you love football enough as a fan and if your team makes it, it shouldn’t matter where it’s being played. I’ll be at the state championship game if it’s at JMU or Kalamazoo.. I personally do favor Liberty. It’s safe, easy to get to, nice intimate atmosphere, family friendly and has nice eating places around. I dig what you’re saying though!

Reactions: BigBWincCity
Well said sir and I respect it. I personally believe that if you love football enough as a fan and if your team makes it, it shouldn’t matter where it’s being played. I’ll be at the state championship game if it’s at JMU or Kalamazoo.. I personally do favor Liberty. It’s safe, easy to get to, nice intimate atmosphere, family friendly and has nice eating places around. I dig what you’re saying though!
For me, traveling to an unfamiliar area of the state is part of the fun.

I totally disagree with you! I traveled for 15 years all over Virginia for the Dept of ABC and the drive to JMU on 64/81 is far, far easier than 460 and 64/15 to Lynchburg. I have done all these routes a dozen times. Believe me.
I take my father to the VA Hospital at least 10 times a year from Richmond to Salem and 460 is much faster and less dangerous than 64 and 81. It takes me about 2 hours and 45 minutes to get to Salem whereas you can do 75 through at least 2 mountain ranges and get to Salem in 3 hours and go about 40 extra miles on 64/81. It’s all personal preference so I’m no ways knocking your opinion.

Don’t get me wrong, I loved the atmosphere at Liberty! And perhaps I wouldn’t mind traveling anywhere in the state if my circumstances were different. But ever since I developed my brain issues, any additional time in a car is problematic for me. That’s why Charlottesville or Harrisonburg would be more ideal for me. At least just once in awhile haha

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Uva should host all 6 championship games
I agree that they all should be held at the same location...just not sure if UVa is the right place since they have a grass field. Can you imagine how damaged the field would be for the latter games? But we don't have to worry about that since VHSL will never do that anyway.

I agree that they all should be held at the same location...just not sure if UVa is the right place since they have a grass field. Can you imagine how damaged the field would be for the latter games? But we don't have to worry about that since VHSL will never do that anyway.
Very true! Univ of Richmond?

Are there any high school championship events held at UVA? I always hear people beating the drum for various sports but don't know of any held there.

I have to respectfully disagree with all 6 at the same location. Aside from the field conditions discussed, exactly what would the schedule be? No matter what you do, some teams/classification will be effected.

I have heard the gripe about time in between games being too long. Maybe for fans waiting yes, but more goes into it than that. You have after game trophies, then the teams warm up.

Without naming a specific location, 3 different seems the way to go to me. I have heard the play 3 Friday, 3 Saturday. Well honestly I think that really tells the ones who are playing Friday they aren't as important. The entire team then misses school, and some of fans and parents will miss because they are working. 3 Saturday and 3 Sunday. Then instead of school and work, they are missing church. To me, it just seems like half are somewhat "punished". And when I have seen this idea in the past it has always been then small schools play Friday. The way that LOOKS is they aren't as important and that it depends on where you live and how many kids you have as to how important you are

Reactions: salemfan32
I have to respectfully disagree with all 6 at the same location. Aside from the field conditions discussed, exactly what would the schedule be? No matter what you do, some teams/classification will be effected.

I have heard the gripe about time in between games being too long. Maybe for fans waiting yes, but more goes into it than that. You have after game trophies, then the teams warm up.

Without naming a specific location, 3 different seems the way to go to me. I have heard the play 3 Friday, 3 Saturday. Well honestly I think that really tells the ones who are playing Friday they aren't as important. The entire team then misses school, and some of fans and parents will miss because they are working. 3 Saturday and 3 Sunday. Then instead of school and work, they are missing church. To me, it just seems like half are somewhat "punished". And when I have seen this idea in the past it has always been then small schools play Friday. The way that LOOKS is they aren't as important and that it depends on where you live and how many kids you have as to how important you are
6/5/4A at one site 3/2/1A at another

Charlottesville is much better for class 4 than Lynchburg, IMO. I've heard Liberty' s stadium is more available than Scott Stadium, though.
Yes it so and the atmosphere is better because the stadium is not as big

1,4,7 Dunno just thinking...

To me, that wouldn't work. Just my mind, dont know logistically.

I would say a game last 2 1/2 hours. Then trophies, then teams warm up.

You have to remember, that most of the smaller schools have regular grass. So while they may have had a little practice on turf, they still need time to get adjusted.

I get where you and others are coming from, and of course fans would like to see as much as possible, but in the end it is about the KIDS. It should always be what is best and best experience for them. And imo, there is just so much more to it than this place is central, let's play all these games here. The fans can adjust their schedule. It is about more than that

Reactions: OCBoy
That would be a little more realistic.

I have no problem with 3 games, I just don't think it is right for different classes to be treated differently. The 1a teams work just as hard as 6a, and deserve the same amenities and treatment
Agreed. I like the way it is now.
1a/2a Salem
3a/4a Lynchburg
5a/6a Hampton.

Agreed. I like the way it is now.
1a/2a Salem
3a/4a Lynchburg
5a/6a Hampton.

Having never been to 5a/6a, just seeing Hampton, that seems like to me the biggest reach for championship site. I do know most of the NOVA teams are 5a and 6a. That would appear to me the one to change location to more central of the 2 parts of state

Having never been to 5a/6a, just seeing Hampton, that seems like to me the biggest reach for championship site. I do know most of the NOVA teams are 5a and 6a. That would appear to me the one to change location to more central of the 2 parts of state
Agree totally. The number of 6A teams in the 757 is dropping

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT