ADVERTISEMENT

Dinwiddie Highlights and the Hopewell game

BleedingNavy

VaPreps All District
Dec 4, 2013
For anyone interested the following links below are well produced videos of Dinwiddie first four games. Good start for the Generals. Hopewell's up next and they always play Dinwiddie tough. Cumbie, Henderson and a sound group of Blue Devil receivers will look to make some big plays as will the Dinwiddie defense which is only giving up 3.7 points per game. The key to the game is whether Hopewell can derail Harry Dalton and the balanced Dinwiddie offense which averages 52.8 points a game. Anybody have an opinion?

GW Danville 55-3 win
Heritage-Lynchburg 49-7 win
North Stafford 55-7 win
Colonial Heights 63-0 win

Well Dinwiddie started the game well, but once again fumbled inside the red zone, were penalized out of the red zone twice and had a punt go straight up in the air to set up a Hopewell score. Dinwiddie rightfully had three touchdowns called back for penalties. The Generals need to clean this mess up and quick. No excuses though. Hopewell played very good defense for 2 1/2 quarters and they have some skilled players. In the end Dinwiddie wore the blue devils down with a punishing running game. Dinwiddie needed to experience a bit of distress. They reacted well in the second half and won going away 41-13. I think Hopewell may upset somebody in the playoffs.

Does anyone know with certainty if Henderson was slowed and limited tonight because of an injury? He may not be the player his brother was, but he is right darn good. Whatever the reason Coach Irby didn’t continue to give him the ball, I’m glad for it.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Someone said that Henderson went to the bench when he wasn’t on the field, and sat and hydrated. That’s a sure sign of some nagging problem. Poor kid. He is a beast. I hope whatever is affecting him is not serious and clears up soon.

Yes , if yes 100% healthy and the offense can get it on track they will be a tough off in the playoffs dinwiddie and good 👍 and should make a run to the state if they can beat varina or king George varina is really good they beat hopewell the first game. Peace ✌

Reactions: 1Gensfan
Hopewell / dinwiddie game Hopewell played well for 3 quarters defense just got tired and dinwiddie just kept pounding the ball at them. Hopewell offense had to many 3 and outs 4th and 2 take a chance. But dinwiddie is very good love to see them against varina , Hopewell will be ok come playoff time. I have seen varina play and now dinwiddie if these two meet in the playoffs the winner probably will be in the championship game peace ✌

Yeah we’ve got to be more disciplined. All 3 of those long TDs that got called back ended in punts. Also fumbling inside the 10 & failing to convert on 4th inside the 15 doesn’t help. Outside of the first drive of the 2nd half, defense played good once again. They will get better though.
That first play, (or second), by Hopewell to open the second half was a well designed, well executed play. I’m speaking of that quick pass to the right end that went for about 60 yards. They obviously saw on film at half time that the defense was vulnerable to that. All the receiver had to do was beat his one defender and it was off to the races. And he did.

But the defense played like we have come to expect after that. And like someone else mentioned, the Hopewell defense began to give up more and more yardage to Daulton and Tucker as the second half went on.

I’ll say this as well, both teams of young men got up sore as hell this morning. It was an old school, knock the hell out of your opponent type of game.

Yeah we’ve got to be more disciplined. All 3 of those long TDs that got called back ended in punts. Also fumbling inside the 10 & failing to convert on 4th inside the 15 doesn’t help. Outside of the first drive of the 2nd half, defense played good once again. They will get better though.
It was nice to see you hanging out by the fence last night. I agree with the discipline part, but for non fan observers we are talking about holding, illegal shifts, false starts and not unsportsmanlike penalties. Honestly, I thought the defense played well too. They virtually kept Henderson and Cumby in check. Two of the pass interference penalties would have not have been called with a more seasoned crew. Heck on the slant the two officials on the play side did not make the call. The white hat threw the flag from 30 yards away. 😂. I thought the front seven got more penetration and pressured Cumby a lot better in the 2nd half. A lot of people around questioned Mills conservative play calling at the end of the half which resulted in the horrid 2 yard punt. Personally, I thought it was the right thing to do. He put faith in the defense and unfortunately they get great field position and hit a lucky screen pass that went right through our defensive ends hands for a TD. Oh well a wins a win. Mills made some great adjustments at half time and the running game sealed it. Petersburg's up next.

It was nice to see you hanging out by the fence last night. I agree with the discipline part, but for non fan observers we are talking about holding, illegal shifts, false starts and not unsportsmanlike penalties. Honestly, I thought the defense played well too. They virtually kept Henderson and Cumby in check. Two of the pass interference penalties would have not have been called with a more seasoned crew. Heck on the slant the two officials on the play side did not make the call. The white hat threw the flag from 30 yards away. 😂. I thought the front seven got more penetration and pressured Cumby a lot better in the 2nd half. A lot of people around questioned Mills conservative play calling at the end of the half which resulted in the horrid 2 yard punt. Personally, I thought it was the right thing to do. He put faith in the defense and unfortunately they get great field position and hit a lucky screen pass that went right through our defensive ends hands for a TD. Oh well a wins a win. Mills made some great adjustments at half time and the running game sealed it. Petersburg's up next.

I’m looking for a competitive game from Petersburg for awhile. I think our speed and the constant, unrelenting pressure the defense is capable of bringing to bare, will wear their resolve down. They somehow always have a fast, highly mobil QB, a couple of receivers that can flat out fly, and a back or two that can scream around the outside.

I agree Petersburg should be a good test for our defense. Stanley Green (qb), Rayjuan Traynham (rb) and Zahmarie Muhammad-White are all sound players. In fact, Muhammad-White is one of the better receivers in the Central District and Class 3 Region A. Coach Mike Scott is a good. Even though the Wave don't have a lot of depth he always gets the most out of his team.

Look for Dinwiddie to wear down the Petersburg defense by pounding the rock with Raphael Tucker (rb) who averages 100+ yards a game rushing and Harry Dalton (qb) who averages 112 yards per game on the ground.

The Generals have not lost to Petersburg since 2006. That was Coach Mills 2nd of 17 seasons with Dinwiddie. I suspect things will remain the same.

Our job will be to contain from the tackles out, and not give the QB the time to set his feet and find those receivers.

Petersburg has always been great at turning a busted play into a long gain. Or a play where you almost tackle them for a loss, but they break free and take off for long yardage. We have just got to play with our heads up and expect this to be the situation on every play.

If our offense can do what they usually do, strike early and often, and get Petersburg down enough that their only hope is quick strike pass plays, I think it will be game over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT