ADVERTISEMENT

Dinwiddie Navy Brand

VAHSFootballFan

VaPreps Rookie
Sep 8, 2017
I've read this board for a couple of years but just noticed that "Navy" (the color) and not "Generals" (your nickname) is what Dinwiddie people seem to identify themselves with. Awesome branding job. Was this purposeful or did it happen organically? Does it carry over to all sports or just football? I know this might come off as sarcastic or condescending but I really don't mean it to be. I really like it and am very curious about it.

I've read this board for a couple of years but just noticed that "Navy" (the color) and not "Generals" (your nickname) is what Dinwiddie people seem to identify themselves with. Awesome branding job. Was this purposeful or did it happen organically? Does it carry over to all sports or just football? I know this might come off as sarcastic or condescending but I really don't mean it to be. I really like it and am very curious about it.
Navy Nation is kind of a nickname for the fan base. Pretty much if you support Dinwiddie you are part of Navy Nation. Personally, I'm not sure how it came about but we love it!! On most social media, any Dinwiddie posts will usually be followed by #NavyNation, #BleedNavy. Honestly I would say Dinwiddie county as a whole is Navy Nation. When you come to our field there is actually a sign that says Welcome to Navy Nation!! We do use the Generals a lot as well as our student section calls themselves The Gens Zone!

Navy Nation is kind of a nickname for the fan base. Pretty much if you support Dinwiddie you are part of Navy Nation. Personally, I'm not sure how it came about but we love it!! On most social media, any Dinwiddie posts will usually be followed by #NavyNation, #BleedNavy. Honestly I would say Dinwiddie county as a whole is Navy Nation. When you come to our field there is actually a sign that says Welcome to Navy Nation!! We do use the Generals a lot as well as our student section calls themselves The Gens Zone!
Very cool. I like the alliteration. Navy Nation has a nice flow. Again, excellent branding job.

Assuming that's the only high school in the county?

It just happened. To the best of my knowledge, it first appeared in 2013. And I think it started with the moniker "I Bleed Navy". And it took off from there.

And 1Genfan is right on the money. There is no official definition of Navy Nation. It's just a catch phrase that the fans embrace.

It's used a little in support of other sports, but "Go Generals" is the usual term connected with our teams support, most of the time.

I guess it's like the "Red Hat Society"? The only rule is that there are no rules!

The Navy Nation theme did start in 2013. Yard signs were made up and sold as a fund raiser for our boosters affectionately known as the "cowbell club". Every house had one in their front yard. It was cool to see riding up Courthouse Road to the school.

Joey Marshall the founder is the mother of former General and VA Tech Defensive Lineman Corey Marshall. She is the hardest working woman in show business. They feed the players, raise money for camps, equipment and anything else Coach Mills needs.

The cool thing about Dinwiddie is a lot of the people involved were not raised in Dinwiddie. In fact, I don't even live there. I worked in the County for 20 years and love the people and school. My wife works for the county and our daughter graduated from the Dinwiddie. I went to vote last Tuesday and the lady asked me why I had a Dinwiddie Football shirt on. I simply said "I live here, but I call Dinwiddie home".

Dinwiddie people just pitch in and help out. Its not about money, race, political association or class. Good people raised by blue collar parents who work together to do the right thing. That is why we are Navy Nation!

Can someone give us a history on Dinwiddie fb? When did they start being dominant? I had never heard of Dinwiddie when I was playing at GW back in early 2000s.

Can someone give us a history on Dinwiddie fb? When did they start being dominant? I had never heard of Dinwiddie when I was playing at GW back in early 2000s.
I'll give you their records back to 1999. They were Division 5 up until 2012.

1999: 5-5
2000: 12-2 lost to Champ Heritage NN
2001: 0-9
2002: 1-9
2003: 1-9
2004: 2-8
2005: 1-9
2006: 3-7
2007: 9-2
2008: 12-2 Lost to Champ Phoebus
2009: 6-5
2010: 12-1 Lost to champ Phoebus
2011: 6-5
2012: 7-4
2013: 15-0* D4 Champ
2014: 9-3 Lost to Champ Lake Taylor
2015: 8-4
2016: 14-1 Lost to Champ Salem
2017: 11-0

Total: 134-85

Last edited:
Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I am honored to say I was born and raised in Dinwiddie. Our Football team was no where near where we are now back then, but DP and BN are correct! Dinwiddie County is full of wonderful people that are always willing to help and we look out for each other. I have lived in Maryland for 25 years and went to college in the Norfolk but I have always called Dinwiddie home. My wife and I travel to the games when we can and she is now also "BLEEDS NAVY". We still have a family home there and we visit quite often. It is truly a special place!!! "GO GENERALS"

That is a great question and quite ironic in several ways. We recently discussed this matter and Dinwiddie Pride is starting a project to complete this task. We actually have a few fans that still attend games who played on the first true teams.

I can only reference history back to 1989 and there was no real consistency until Coach Mills arrival. Prior to 2006, Dinwiddie made a few playoff runs. Due to work, I started going to games In 2000 and i have not missed a game since. That year under Coach Curio the Generals lost in the finals to Heritage NN.

From 2001-2005, the Generals went 5-44. Coach Mills was hired and after two sub par seasons things took off. If it werent for Phoebus (2008 and 2010) we would have two more titles.

Prior to 2013, or realignment Dinwiddie struggled to get out of the very tough 5a Richmond Region. Once realignment occurred things have really taken off as we can consistently compete with schools of the same size.

I am sure others can provide some more details, but thats my take on it.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT