ADVERTISEMENT

Dinwiddie vs. Smithfield moved up to Thursday, August 31, 2017 @ 7:00 pm

Going to make it tougher on me to get there....but I'm going to try regardless.

Odd, the weather tonite over here was outstanding- 76 and sunny, wish the game was tonite.
I was a bit curious about the cancellation as well....must have been something other than weather related...

I was a bit curious about the cancellation as well....must have been something other than weather related...
Hey gwb16- did you read that Grafton is not fielding a JV team this year for the first time in school history? Only about 36-37 players came out in a school of 1187- about 3% participation rate! Yet Bruton with under 700 students is going to field. JV team for the first time in years!! No wonder Grafton's HC and Asst Coach (both excellent) left this summer!

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Hey gwb16- did you read that Grafton is not fielding a JV team this year for the first time in school history? Only about 36-37 players came out in a school of 1187- about 3% participation rate! Yet Bruton with under 700 students is going to field. JV team for the first time in years!! No wonder Grafton's HC and Asst Coach (both excellent) left this summer!
I hadn't heard that....that is CRAZY!!!! Sounds like they are dealing with some pretty negative influences.

Smithfield...in past years has had upwards of 70-75 kids come out for JV. Cuts at the JV level can be tough, but it isn't economically feasible to dress out that many or manage a practice. For the kids that meet the age and weight limits, they still have the Junior Division in Pop Warner.

But for a school with that many students to not field a JV team is pretty strange. I'm so far removed from the day to day operations of high school football these days, I wonder if the brain injury/concussion studies are having that much of an impact? Is it even possible that could be an issue?

In an interesting, but totally unrelated topic...did you see what the City of Hampton has done with their high schools? They have created curriculum academies at each high school, so now, regardless of what high school you are zoned for, you can attend the high school of your choice, based on what specialty curriculum you are most interested in pursuing. Sport implications are HUGE. Talk about creating a recruiting work around...and no address change required either? Sit back and watch this circus unfold.

A lot of school divisions are doing that now. I think Chesterfield and Henrico has something similar, but I could be wrong. Its great for education and skills down the road, but yes, you are correct it surely can produce negative recruiting wars.

Reactions: gwb16
I hadn't heard that....that is CRAZY!!!! Sounds like they are dealing with some pretty negative influences.

Smithfield...in past years has had upwards of 70-75 kids come out for JV. Cuts at the JV level can be tough, but it isn't economically feasible to dress out that many or manage a practice. For the kids that meet the age and weight limits, they still have the Junior Division in Pop Warner.

But for a school with that many students to not field a JV team is pretty strange. I'm so far removed from the day to day operations of high school football these days, I wonder if the brain injury/concussion studies are having that much of an impact? Is it even possible that could be an issue?

In an interesting, but totally unrelated topic...did you see what the City of Hampton has done with their high schools? They have created curriculum academies at each high school, so now, regardless of what high school you are zoned for, you can attend the high school of your choice, based on what specialty curriculum you are most interested in pursuing. Sport implications are HUGE. Talk about creating a recruiting work around...and no address change required either? Sit back and watch this circus unfold.
Nope- hadn't heard about that info on Hampton! Agree - could have a real recruiting war in Hampton now! With three high schools here and each very distinctive about their sports strengths I wonder if someday this may happen here. Basketball at Jamestown, football at Lafayette and softball/volleyball at Warhill. As far as Grafton, until this head injury impact is solved you will see in certain schools that used be very good in football a steep decline in participation. At that age the parents are in control and many will defer.

Reactions: gwb16
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT