ADVERTISEMENT

Game moved up

Thank you guys. Another old ball coach went to heaven this morning. My dad was all Roanoke and an All State guard at Jefferson HS. He was a sophomore starter on the 1957 VA State Championship football team. In 1959 he played the whole season with a broken leg. After playing football in the United States Army from 1960-1963 my dad became the offensive line coach at Jefferson. He loved and coached all sports. Hershey track, football, basketball, and baseball. My father would go into the James Town projects, Indian Village, and Southeast Roanoke getting kids off the streets and paying for their registrations. A few of his former players include: Bo Blankenship, Roger Ayers (NCAA official), Bob Harley, The Hardy boys (Mickey, Angelo, and Antonio), Rich McGeorge (Packers). He cared about wins and losses, but he loved seeing his former players being productive citizens. In the past ten years he had become an avid Dinwiddie fan and streamed the games when he could. My dad's favorite player is our nose guard #42. Both were undersized interior lineman who worked hard at their craft. I am proud to be his son and I know he will be calling plays from heaven.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT