ADVERTISEMENT

District Rankings

A

anon_y7v0wv40itxop

How would you rank districts in our area?

My vote...
1. Seminole (very balanced and tough)
2. Dogwood (similar to seminole)
(multiple state tiles for the top two districts)
3. Blue Ridge (very tough, need to finish in the state title games however)
4. River Ridge (not as strong as it has been in the past, Salem Spartans are the bulk of the success)
5. Three Rivers (good solid lower level football)
6. Piedmont (weak considering the size of the schools, struggle with the top 4 districts)
7. Valley (very weak, decent football however)

How would you rank districts in our area?

My vote...
1. Seminole (very balanced and tough)
2. Dogwood (similar to seminole)
(multiple state tiles for the top two districts)
3. Blue Ridge (very tough, need to finish in the state title games however)
4. River Ridge (not as strong as it has been in the past, Salem Spartans are the bulk of the success)
5. Three Rivers (good solid lower level football)
6. Piedmont (weak considering the size of the schools, struggle with the top 4 districts)
7. Valley (very weak, decent football however)
Probably identical to what my opinion would be. Every school in the Seminole has multiple state championships with the exception of Heritage and Liberty-Bedford with 1 each respectively.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
How many has the seminole won since realignment? Not being a jerk just dont know.

I researched it. Last championship for the Seminole was 2011 and 2012 Brookville. Looks like everyone has won at least two except Heritage. Impressive. Private school championships dont count lol.

The Central District has 8 teams and 5 have won Championships. Hopewell has five (AAA, 5a and 3 last year), Petersburg 3 (AAA), Thomas Dale (6a) Meadowbrook (5a), and Dinwidde (4a). The Eastern, Bay Rivers or Penninsula may be close as well.

Last edited:
Never understood how the Dogwood doesn’t have more state championships. Dan River had Terrell Edmunds (1st round pick in 2018), All American Tremaine Edmunds (1st round pick in 2018) and Kymoni Fitz (current starter at University of Cincinnati) on the same team in 2013. Had similar talented teams in 2016 and 2011. Gretna, William Campbell and Appo have all been dominant. Best district in VA for 1a and 2a schools.

Last edited:
How many has the seminole won since realignment? Not being a jerk just dont know.

I researched it. Last championship for the Seminole was 2011 and 2012 Brookville. Looks like everyone has won at least two except Heritage. Impressive. Private school championships dont count lol.

The Central District has 8 teams and 5 have won Championships. Hopewell has five (AAA, 5a and 3 last year), Petersburg 3 (AAA), Thomas Dale (6a) Meadowbrook (5a), and Dinwidde (4a). The Eastern, Bay Rivers or Penninsula may be close as well.
The Seminole hasn't won any since Brookville in 2012. Liberty-Bedford only has the one in 2002, the same year Heritage won their lone title.

Come on now @BleedingNavy, show LCA some love. They have won championships albeit private. Don't steal my thunder LOL

Never understood how the Dogwood doesn’t have more state championships. Dan River had Terrell Edmunds (1st round pick in 2018), All American Tremaine Edmunds (1st round pick in 2018) and Kymoni Fitz (current starter at University of Cincinnati) on the same team in 2013. Had similar talented teams in 2016 and 2011. Gretna, William Campbell and Appo have all been dominant. Best district in VA for 1a and 2a schools.

Well you know my opinion on that one, but yes on paper and hindsight they should have. There are just more things that go into the equation than a few great ball players.

Just look in basketball un college a lot of years or even the first Heatles year.

Especially in hs football the coaching is undervalued by fans. Some x's and o's things, but beyond that as well.

Volnation, I dont know how old you are, but I loved to watch EC Glass play in the 70's. My dad coached against them and I secretly rooted for Glass. So much speed and talent. Amherst was not very good when I was in school. Brookville was decent.

I have no problem with LCA. Great people and good school just cant count them man.

The Seminole has a legacy and I am not a hater I promise, but in my opinion the "Nole" is down a bit.

Volnation, I dont know how old you are, but I loved to watch EC Glass play in the 70's. My dad coached against them and I secretly rooted for Glass. So much speed and talent. Amherst was not very good when I was in school. Brookville was decent.

I have no problem with LCA. Great people and good school just cant count them man.

The Seminole has a legacy and I am not a hater I promise, but in my opinion the "Nole" is down a bit.
Unfortunately, I was not born yet so I was not able to witness those EC Glass teams of the 70's or 80's but I have heard about them.

Amherst 3-4
Brookville 3-1
Heritage 1-2
Liberty 1
Jf 2-1
Rustburg 2-2
E.C. glass 1-3
LCA has 7 private school championships

I think Brookville is 3-4, JF is 2-2, and Rustburg is 3-1 if you look at D3, D4, and AA. Lot of different columns since 1970 when they started the more modern system. Anyway, Seminole has been a district of champions over the years.

not to pry but how many should they have???

Gretna has 5 since the turn of the century
William Campbell has 2
Appomattox and Altavista both with 3 each

So in 18 years of football in the 2000's, we're talking about 13 of those years there was a state champ in the Dogwood. I do agree with you some teams have underachieved in the postseason to a certain extent but I wouldn't say "never understood how the Dogwood doesn't have more championships" lol just that team's name haha. Gretna won titles when their best players were at the top of their game, same for WC, Appo, and Altavista. Could be argued that another one could be won for the Dogwood this year as Appomattox, despite major graduation losses, is still Appomattox (still have one of top staffs in 2A if not the top, and a dominating offensive line coming back) and Gretna had what 1 senior starter on an 8-2 team from a year ago? However, Seminole is ridiculous when you throw out those numbers and to think it used to have more teams! As a kid I heard stories about the Seminole having 10 teams in the district, stretching as far East as Buckingham!

William Campbell has 2

So in 18 years of football in the 2000's, we're talking about 13 of those years there was a state champ in the Dogwood. I do agree with you some teams have underachieved in the postseason to a certain extent but I wouldn't say "never understood how the Dogwood doesn't have more championships" lol just that team's name haha. Gretna won titles when their best players were at the top of their game, same for WC, Appo, and Altavista. Could be argued that another one could be won for the Dogwood this year as Appomattox, despite major graduation losses, is still Appomattox (still have one of top staffs in 2A if not the top, and a dominating offensive line coming back) and Gretna had what 1 senior starter on an 8-2 team from a year ago? However, Seminole is ridiculous when you throw out those numbers and to think it used to have more teams! As a kid I heard stories about the Seminole having 10 teams in the district, stretching as far East as Buckingham!
I think Nelson Co may have been in the Seminole at one time too. I remember Rustburg playing them, Altavista, Staunton River, Appomattox, etc... in the district.

I think he's surprised Dan River didn't win any over the time frame when they had the Edmund's boys as well as others.

William Campbell has 2

Dan River should at least have 3 state championships. 2013 and 2016 they were the most talented teams in 2a without question. The 2012 team had 5 D1 players on the team..Unreal for a 2a school, but they did absolutely nothing in the playoffs. A lot of those cats were the engine behind that run they had in 2011. I thought Gretna and Appomattox were really good in 2011, but I didn’t buy into the Dan River hype.. Piss poor QB play. They did make it to the state quarters behind Trey Edmunds (New Orleans Saints). I saw all three teams match ups in 2011 (Gretna/Appo, DR/Appo, Gretna/DR). DR had the most talent of all 3 teams but other factors killed them. Lack of execution has cost them at least 3 state championships and lack of a QB was a factor except the 2016 season (Zemar Anderson was really really good).. Never understood why Ferrell never let his boys play QB on those teams. Terrell and Trey could throw the ball, run the ball and have some of the highest football IQ’s you’ll find. Cats like that you have to put the ball in their hands on every play. DR had some of the best athletes I’ve ever seen but also the worst QBs I’ve ever seen play high school football, hence why their playcalling and offensive execution is so bad.

River Ridge has 13 state titles
Salem 9
Blacksburg 3
Pulaski 1 in division 6
Northside has two and they were at one time in the same district as Salem.

Last edited:
Dan River should at least have 3 state championships. 2013 and 2016 they were the most talented teams in 2a without question. The 2012 team had 5 D1 players on the team..Unreal for a 2a school, but they did absolutely nothing in the playoffs. A lot of those cats were the engine behind that run they had in 2011. I thought Gretna and Appomattox were really good in 2011, but I didn’t buy into the Dan River hype.. Piss poor QB play. They did make it to the state quarters behind Trey Edmunds (New Orleans Saints). I saw all three teams match ups in 2011 (Gretna/Appo, DR/Appo, Gretna/DR). DR had the most talent of all 3 teams but other factors killed them. Lack of execution has cost them at least 3 state championships and lack of a QB was a factor except the 2016 season (Zemar Anderson was really really good).. Never understood why Ferrell never let his boys play QB on those teams. Terrell and Trey could throw the ball, run the ball and have some of the highest football IQ’s you’ll find. Cats like that you have to put the ball in their hands on every play. DR had some of the best athletes I’ve ever seen but also the worst QBs I’ve ever seen play high school football, hence why their playcalling and offensive execution is so bad.

Buckingham knocked them out in both 13 and 14. I'd argue there were a lot of factors riding in the 2013 game that they lost, but 14 they actually tried Tremaine at QB....his first 2 carries were about 100 yards total and 2 HUGE TD's....Dan River was up 21-7 on the road going in to make it 28-7 and Tremaine broke his collarbone on a hit from an all state defensive end who ended up at JMU. Buckingham wins 50-21. I agree 2016 they were loaded with talent....but that was probably also Appomattox's best team of the 3 year run imo, they had Graves, Scruggs, and all the runningbacks back along with a killer line. DR may of been looking ahead in their second round game with Union that year as Appomattox was waiting for them with a win.

Buckingham knocked them out in both 13 and 14. I'd argue there were a lot of factors riding in the 2013 game that they lost, but 14 they actually tried Tremaine at QB....his first 2 carries were about 100 yards total and 2 HUGE TD's....Dan River was up 21-7 on the road going in to make it 28-7 and Tremaine broke his collarbone on a hit from an all state defensive end who ended up at JMU. Buckingham wins 50-21. I agree 2016 they were loaded with talent....but that was probably also Appomattox's best team of the 3 year run imo, they had Graves, Scruggs, and all the runningbacks back along with a killer line. DR may of been looking ahead in their second round game with Union that year as Appomattox was waiting for them with a win.
Well said and great analysis. DR was absolutely loaded in 2016, so was Appo. I actually thought DR were deeper than Appomattox..DR’s playcalling was very questionable in the Appomattox and Union games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT