ADVERTISEMENT

Do the crime do the time.

HolyFrog

VaPreps Rookie
Dec 5, 2016
434 Repping Appo Raider Country
Im a Appo fan to the fullest, my nephew was the QB last year, I would love to play Richlands at their highest level... BUT, of #11 Howie cant control himself by hrad butting then he needs to be disciplined. How are u to teach a kid if not. Thats not gonna fly at the next level.... I look at it this way, one of Richlands best players may not play and our #6 Trey, (someone else has his numer on now, dont know why) BUT, his ankle is broke so he WON'T play. So I believe its a even slate if both cant play.... #BEL1EVE #PO1 #OurGameHosGlory

Were you there? Or have you seen video? Just wondering, cause only the coaching staff has seen the video and they seem to believe it wasn't warranted. I haven't seen it yet.
I was there; it was warranted. Then he was supposed leave the field, but he stayed on the sideline for the rest of the game. It sounds like the coach has no control of his team. He was to go off the and be sent to field house.

It sounds like the coach has no control of his team.

I'm sorry but you really don't have a clue what you are talking about espcially with Coach Mance, so just stop it. Where was the kid supposed to go with no adult supervision? Why in the world can he not sit on the bench? We are making this out to be a way bigger deal than it is. Stuarts Draft Principal didn't want to agree to the appeal it is what it is and that person has to live with their decision (not saying it is or isn't bad) it is accepted and moving on.

I was there; it was warranted. Then he was supposed leave the field, but he stayed on the sideline for the rest of the game. It sounds like the coach has no control of his team. He was to go off the and be sent to field house.
He DOES NOT have to leave the field. Go look up the rule. In high school football, an ejected player can remain on the sideline. There is no rule that he must leave the field.

Reactions: Boathead
So is it true the SD principle didn't agree to the appeal? So the kid is out for the State Championship?

So in a different direction where is #11,#8 & QB going to school? Heard a lot of schools are looking at #11...VT looking at #8 and QB to walk on at Marshall...or things in motion so better not to discuss..That QB would fit in perfect a Hampden Sydney...smaller school but good football. Buster Henderson from out team last year said UVA Wise is on it's way with the new staff he is very excited...he started as a Freshman near the end of the season....we may get a few more up there before it's over..I think we had (5) Seniors play or Redshirt off last year's team...

Correct. Their principal did not agree to let the appeal happen, so Howie will stand on the sideline and watch.
Hate to hear that but hopefully he can take something positive away from this experience and learn from it, as football is not just about winning and losing. Thats just what the fans see, but theres so much more to it. With that said, I find that to be a pretty low blow from the SD administration. But just my opinion, which I know is taboo around here anymore

Last edited:
Hate to hear that but hopefully he can take something positive away from this experience and kearn from it, as football is not just about winning and losing. Thats just what the fans see, but theres so much more to it. With that said, I find that to be a pretty low blow from the SD administration. But just my opinion, which I know is taboo around here anymore

Why do you find it a low blow? I don't know how it works, but from the game and being ejected for 2 unsportsmanlike penalties, wouldn't it be saying they shouldn't have been called?

Why do you find it a low blow? I don't know how it works, but from the game and being ejected for 2 unsportsmanlike penalties, wouldn't it be saying they shouldn't have been called?
If I were a principal, which I am not, I would at least give the kid a chance to have an appeal. I know the rules dont say he has to agree to try to appeal so low blow wasnt the best word choice, but I'd at least give the kid the chance to make his case to me, and if it turns out he is a jerk and isnt deserving I say no, but at least the chance was given. Personally, I dont think the two penalties he got were worth missing the next game over, but you've gotta be smarter than that after you get the first (which was an awful penalty to pick up on his part). I've tried to steer clear of this topic this week but just happened to fall into it so there went nothing lol

Last edited:
Everyone needs to understand that even IF both principals agreed to sign the appeal, it would then go to the officials association who disqualified the athlete for approval before going to the Vhsl for "rubber stamping". It's a 3 step process before going to Vhsl.

Reactions: Keith_Stone33
Agreed Gatorbait1988, if he could control himself he wouldn't be in the prediction he's in. He brought this all upon himself.... All he can do is take notes and realize how bad it hurts so he wont make the mistake again in college. #PO1 #BEL1EVE #OurGameHisGlory

Last edited:
Not getting in to whether flags and suspension were correct. Point to remember is that if the administration (Principal) asked him to leave and they had problems with him and his parents then that was probably the final straw. Maybe would have been different if he left and later apologized after the game. Very understandable for a young athlete to get upset.in the heat of battle and you hope officials would let the kids play the game. I expect there is more to the story relative to actions between each snap with officials hearing and seeing things. Many times you see officials talking and warning players from play to play..Fina Analysis; it's hard to discuss or understand unless you were there to see and feel which I was not.

I remember 2 years ago, our RB Fleshman got a Unsportsmanlike conduct for pointing at the horn guy as the horn guy pointed at him running in the end zone on a 70 yard TD. He started pointing at the 20 and continued to point as he ran in endzone.
Last year, our QB Page got unsportsmanlike for blurting out after a 30 yard TD run, "I thought we were nothing but a 2A school?" He yelled it out 2x to the players and fans due to the smack talk all week on social media. This was during the Amherst game. Guess what? Our special teams coach chewed his tail out and said the next one you are done for a few games. "Keep your mouth shut!" and HE DID! He knew the playoffs were coming up the very next game.

Last edited:
Every team should get film of Vic Hall scoring TDs. They could learn a lot about sportsmanship. He simply looked for nearest ref and handed him the ball. Never said a word to anyone.

I've now seen the video. It's such a soft call. After the kid gets up he and Howie bump into each other and the ref ACROSS THE FIELD throws the flag. Not either of the two refs standing DIRECTLY BESIDE THE PLAY. If a soft chest bump constitutes an unsportsmanlike, then it's time to quit calling this football and call it two hand touch. I've seen much more happen and not get called than this.

The principal denied the appeal because he said he was standing beside the play when it happens. There is a picture that shows the moment the flag was thrown and there is no principal down there. Just a bunch of Richlands fans on the fence.

That said, what's done is done.

Howie will not play. He made his bed, he will lay in it. But DO NOT get on here and put down a 17 year old kid for getting caught up in the heat of the moment and doing something I know for a fact he deeply regrets. I know that every single member of this board did something stupid in their lives at one time or another. That doesn't mean the kid should sit at home.

He is a brother to this team. He helped this team get to where they are, period. He will be on the sideline with his jersey on, supporting his brothers in their mission to bring a title back to SWVA. If you don't like it, I'm sorry. But he will be there with his team because this is a team.

Reactions: V-Cats
I don't think people are "putting the kid down" for anything other than what he did. Majority of people on this board don't know the kid outside the field and therefore aren't judging him beyond the lines. You seem to know him and say he's an exceptional kid, I believe you. But, what he did constituted the flag and he isn't playing. The rule (that everyone knew prior to the game) stated if you get two unsportsmanlike penalties, you will be out of the remainder of that game and the one to follow. Everyone knew the rule, it wasn't a secret. The Principal from SD has every right to either appeal or to decline to appeal. He made his decision. Again, stop deterring the blame to ANYONE else but the Richland's player. Lastly, you are right, we've all done "stupid" acts throughout life, some have learned from their mistakes and others haven't. His "stupid" act cost him a chance to play for a State Title. Now what he learns from this will show what type of character he has. You say he's a good kid, chances are he won't make the same mistake twice, which is ultimately what consequences are for.

I was there......the principle AND AD from Draft were in the area. How you get to watch film as a VT student is beyond me but whatever....The film you watched obviously did not have a good vantage point to that area.

I was there......the principle AND AD from Draft were in the area. How you get to watch film as a VT student is beyond me but whatever....The film you watched obviously did not have a good vantage point to that area.
Just because I'm a VT student doesn't mean I can't see the film. Not sure how you would think that would make a difference. I'm a 26 year old college student. I'm not 18-21. I have friends, some of which are on the team and some of which are in high places.

I know my nephew has a Hudl account and would assume he could watch the video with anyone in his household or whoever he wants to in other places / venues. But he has the account, not my brother or sister in law. Interesting that someone not on the roster as a player, coach or administrator has an account. Maybe I should try to get my own to break down film next year!!!

I know my nephew has a Hudl account and would assume he could watch the video with anyone in his household or whoever he wants to in other places / venues. But he has the account, not my brother or sister in law. Interesting that someone not on the roster as a player, coach or administrator has an account. Maybe I should try to get my own to break down film next year!!!
Didn't watch it through Hudl. I don't have an account. We have someone here who films every game and sells the DVDs of them.

I've now seen the video. It's such a soft call. After the kid gets up he and Howie bump into each other and the ref ACROSS THE FIELD throws the flag. Not either of the two refs standing DIRECTLY BESIDE THE PLAY. If a soft chest bump constitutes an unsportsmanlike, then it's time to quit calling this football and call it two hand touch. I've seen much more happen and not get called than this.

The principal denied the appeal because he said he was standing beside the play when it happens. There is a picture that shows the moment the flag was thrown and there is no principal down there. Just a bunch of Richlands fans on the fence.

Howie will not play. He made his bed, he will lay in it. But DO NOT get on here and put down a

Howie will not play. He made his bed, he will lay in it. But DO NOT get on here and put down a 17 year old kid for getting caught up in the heat of the moment and doing something I know for a fact he deeply regrets. I know that every single member of this board did something stupid in their lives at one time or another. That doesn't mean the kid should sit at home.

He is a brother to this team. He helped this team get to where they are, period. He will be on the sideline with his jersey on, supporting his brothers in their mission to bring a title back to SWVA. If you don't like it, I'm sorry. But he will be there with his team because this is a team.
Just to clarify, the principal was standing in the back of the endzone on the Richlands side. I know that doesn't change your opinion (and wouldn't expect it to) but he was there.

1st Flag: 2nd play of the game, Richlands' player #11 caught a pass and ran into the end zone. The last 5-10 yards he was pointing at a player from SD.

2nd Flag: Play near the sideline, player from SD got up jawing and in the face of Richlands' player #11 and he then #11 I've heard "chest bumped" and "head butted" the SD player.

2 dumb plays. He was kicked out and according to VHSL Rules he has to sit out the next game which is the State Finals. There is an appeal process (something new I learned) but I believe both Principals have to agree to appeal and SD's Principal didn't want to. So....now there's no way #11 can play.

Reactions: stormwatcher
Kid from SD did not get in face of Richlands player nor did he "jaw" with him. TWO Richlands players ran over to SD player (#4 and #11) and #11 got in HIS face, said some obscenities and head butted him.

Coach mance may be well advised to make sure the kid can be at the event much less be on the sidelines.

Reactions: 90maroons
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT