ADVERTISEMENT

Do the crime do the time.

Coach mance may be well advised to make sure the kid can be at the event much less be on the sidelines.
Oh get over it. Now you want the kid to stay home? He worked all year for this moment. Let him be there with his brothers. Standing on the sideline and watching is punishment enough. Don't make him stay home. If it was your kid, I wonder if you'd keep him at home for the state title game of his senior year.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Oh get over it. Now you want the kid to stay home? He worked all year for this moment. Let him be there with his brothers. Standing on the sideline and watching is punishment enough. Don't make him stay home. If it was your kid, I wonder if you'd keep him at home for the state title game of his senior year.
Not what I said!

You're insinuating that he may not be able to come to the game at all. That's absurd.
I only said look into it. I did not say I did or did not want him to be there. Remove your emotions and read it again. This would be a big tragedy for richlands if he was on the sidelines against vhsl rules. Is that what you want?

After reading comments on Richlands page, SWVA message boards, and some twitter feeds, I saw fans in agreement. Many even stated it was long overdue and Mance needed to sit more throughout the season. I dont know, Im just going off what I read from RICHLANDS fans. Of course they got plastered for their comments and opinion of the matter.

Reactions: oldfool
I dont see a dang thing wrong with the kid coming to states and being in sidelines, but i do see the reasoning for him having to leave field the day of the penalties. He could've cause more of a disturbance from sideline if he had stayed. He could have blurted out obscenities or yelled at the player he had issues with. They cant penalize him anymore, he had already been kicked out game.
These are just some examples of why they SHOULD leave field after 2 unsportsmanlike penalties. I have more hypothetical reasons he should get off feild. I dont know the rules though. I just feel its right and frankly as a coach I wouldnt want to look at him in a game Im trying to win (especially the playoffs). Send an authority figure with him (parent, teacher, ad, administration, etc)

Reactions: oldfool
After reading comments on Richlands page, SWVA message boards, and some twitter feeds, I saw fans in agreement. Many even stated it was long overdue and Mance needed to sit more throughout the season. I dont know, Im just going off what I read from RICHLANDS fans. Of course they got plastered for their comments and opinion of the matter.

So you're saying that from what you've read is that Howie should've been benched more for his behavior during the regular season due to his behavior on the field?

I tried, just didn't understand what you were saying. What was long overdue? What does "Mance needed to sit more during the season" mean?

As far as the SW board you need to realize that is posters from all over, not all Richlands fans. Yes a Galax fan said something about he should have been set before, but what you have to realize is that he hasn't even seen Richlands this year and has no idea of the inter workings of the Richlands team.

I tried, just didn't understand what you were saying. What was long overdue? What does "Mance needed to sit more during the season" mean?
I guess I was missing a word.
more players*
Sounded like they were saying discipline has been an issue. I don't know, just reading...

When you have a program that has been as successful as Richlands has been over the past decade, you're going to have people spout off about something they have no idea about. It just comes with the territory.

I do know these boys well and all of them for the past decade. Most of them have spent a lot of time in my home. All of them are not Angel's...of course. They all are taught the right way to win and lose and conduct themselves on and off the field. Coach Mance and his staff do a great job of this starting the day they enter the fieldhouse. They are taught the fundamentals of playing football( very intensely I might add...lol) and being a great person. Do they all adhere to this in every circumstance? No. Taught too nonetheless.

Howie is a fine young man that I know very well. I know his family well and all are devastated. He will take his punishment and grow from it...I have no doubt.

I will get hammered from some for this but I'm a big boy that can take it. Good luck to the Blues and Appomattox. I know we will need more...lol

I had a very good seat for this game. And what I saw was one KID makes a couple mental mistakes, not an entire team and from what it sounds like on here uncharacteristic for him. I don't know either way, and the only ones who would have a clue are from Richlands. Why can't we take their word for it. I saw someone say something about one of Draft's players that was completely wrong, but no reason to argue with him that he thinks he knows. I do know the kid and know that he was wrong, and I have seen every game to know he didn't see something right. #1 does nothing like he said. I believe what the Richlands faithful say about #11. Mistakes and we all make them, please let's stop crucifying him

Nobody is "crucifying" him. Some people believe in rules and that they must be upheld. We get it he's not a bad kid (which I don't know who indicated he was), but people are able to have their opinion. Again....NO ONE THINKS HE'S A BAD KID.

Nobody is "crucifying" him. Some people believe in rules and that they must be upheld. We get it he's not a bad kid (which I don't know who indicated he was), but people are able to have their opinion. Again....NO ONE THINKS HE'S A BAD KID.

Well there have been about 100 posts on this issue in like 3 days, so that is a bit much and I don't know the kid. But it sure seems overboard to me. And I have been on here a long time and have always stood up for kids being talked about on here and haven't known any of them. Kids shouldn't have negative things said about them online. And yes there have been bad things said about him...Thug. What I have noticed is a lot of new people and fans on here last few weeks. I wonder how many will stay once their team isn't great. For all I know they will stay, but just an observation. I have been here from the 0-10 to the 13-0

KevTodd5 you speak the truth so if you are plastered for speaking the truth then they can plaster me also because I feel exactly as you do about everything you said !

Read between the lines, I am HOPING that the person was indicating to his behavior on the field as "thug"ish. We have spotted one post that referred to him as a "thug" and I will give the guy the benefit of the doubt and get that he was indicating to the kid's actions on the field. Stop with the emotion game. No one is going to bad mouth some kid for no reason, you get out there pointing at people while scoring a TD and head butting people, guess what, people are going to have opinions about you, and probably not good ones. Stop the pity party for the kid because he doesn't get to play in the State Title game. Sure, it's sad, but he has no one to blame but himself. I give the person the benefit of the doubt because NO ONE called any other player on Richlands a "thug" or had any animosity towards anybody but that specific player. Can we please stop defending someone who blatantly broke the rules? It isn't poor him....just stop with this insanity.

Read between the lines, I am HOPING that the person was indicating to his behavior on the field as "thug"ish. We have spotted one post that referred to him as a "thug" and I will give the guy the benefit of the doubt and get that he was indicating to the kid's actions on the field. Stop with the emotion game. No one is going to bad mouth some kid for no reason, you get out there pointing at people while scoring a TD and head butting people, guess what, people are going to have opinions about you, and probably not good ones. Stop the pity party for the kid because he doesn't get to play in the State Title game. Sure, it's sad, but he has no one to blame but himself. I give the person the benefit of the doubt because NO ONE called any other player on Richlands a "thug" or had any animosity towards anybody but that specific player. Can we please stop defending someone who blatantly broke the rules? It isn't poor him....just stop with this insanity.
I'll do whatever the hell I want when it comes to defending our boys. Period. At least they know they have someone who has their back and gives them the benefit of the doubt.

This has turned into a pure emotional argument, nothing will be accomplished. Hopefully someday people can learn, if somebody does wrong, then they're wrong, no matter who they are. Guess what....Mom is wrong, Dad is wrong, and your buddies are wrong too.....and that's ALRIGHT! Defending the actions that are wrong are a true sign of character. We got mixed up on this board of trying to defend the kid. He did wrong. People aren't mad at him, they are mad at his actions. But go ahead boss, do "whatever the hell you want". :D:D

This has turned into a pure emotional argument, nothing will be accomplished. Hopefully someday people can learn, if somebody does wrong, then they're wrong, no matter who they are. Guess what....Mom is wrong, Dad is wrong, and your buddies are wrong too.....and that's ALRIGHT! Defending the actions that are wrong are a true sign of character. We got mixed up on this board of trying to defend the kid. He did wrong. People aren't mad at him, they are mad at his actions. But go ahead boss, do "whatever the hell you want". :D:D
I'm not defending the fact he did something wrong. He never should have pointed at the guy the first time. That set the tone for the ref to watch every single one of his actions under an electron microscope. I'm defending his character, which has come into question on this board and on others. I'm defending the character of our coach, who many have said he doesn't have control of his team. I bleed blue. Anyone who knows me personally knows how passionate I am about this. High school football is my favorite sport on this planet, and it's not even close. So when you tell me to "stop the insanity," to me you're telling me I'm insane for backing up one of our boys. That's why you got an emotional response.

Enough folks ...let's talk football.....to save on the argument ...Appomattox is beatable ...and #11 is a Boy Scout!...There final answer.
Good diplomacy. Cavity fetishes aside. I knew you were an alright guy.

Notice I didn't put a "winky" face. Didn't want to go through that again. Lol

who were the officials and what assoc were they from ?. Just curious not implying anything

CypYlFNXgAEFQwn.jpg

This is what sportsmanship is all about! Learn it, live it.

I'm not defending the fact he did something wrong. He never should have pointed at the guy the first time. That set the tone for the ref to watch every single one of his actions under an electron microscope. I'm defending his character, which has come into question on this board and on others. I'm defending the character of our coach, who many have said he doesn't have control of his team. I bleed blue. Anyone who knows me personally knows how passionate I am about this. High school football is my favorite sport on this planet, and it's not even close. So when you tell me to "stop the insanity," to me you're telling me I'm insane for backing up one of our boys. That's why you got an emotional response.
I would do the same for an Amherst kid

Of course I did stupid things as a young man, but I also had people hold me accountable for my actions. Probably one of the main reasons I'm successful in the professional world today. Stop believing he's the victim. He made a mistake and he's paying his consequence. I don't believe he's a bad kid, I just believe he just committed a couple boneheaded penalties. He sounds like a good kid, he will learn from them and move on.

I'm assuming you never did anything stupid as a kid and got a second chance? I know I have. D*mn the kid did something stupid that I'm sure he regrets. No excuse for what he did but come on.
He did get a second chance. And then got a second unsportsmanlike penalty called on him. It's not sour grapes. It's the reality of the real world. When we screw up (and we all do), there are consequences. Agreeing to the appeal is essentially saying that one of the calls was wrong. And that's clearly not how the SD principal feels.

He did get a second chance. And then got a second unsportsmanlike penalty called on him. It's not sour grapes. It's the reality of the real world. When we screw up (and we all do), there are consequences. Agreeing to the appeal is essentially saying that one of the calls was wrong. And that's clearly not how the SD principal feels.
I work with students in juvenile detention so by all means I know that there are serious consequences for your actions but again if you've played sports before you know your emotions can get the best of you. Kid was wrong and SD baited the kid for his second and they got it. For the principal of an opposing school to have say so in it though, I call sour grapes. As an educator you have to have short memory with these kids. Kids need to learn how to be held responsible for their actions. Let the kid appeal to the VHSL and decide there. That's what builds humility and responsibility. Make the kid write his appeal and explain to them where he messed up and explain what he could've done differently and why he deserves another chance. I call sour grapes.

He could have controlled his actions, yet chose not to. Stop with the excuses. He's out and he SHOULD learn from this. If he doesn't, that's his choice. I'm guessing with people telling him the other team had "sour grapes" chances are he won't learn and play the victim role. I hope he can rise above the emotional baiters and realize his actions and learn from them. The first step to learning a consequence is accepting that you did wrong. Sounds like people on here need to learn that as well.

He could have controlled his actions, yet chose not to. Stop with the excuses. He's out and he SHOULD learn from this. If he doesn't, that's his choice. I'm guessing with people telling him the other team had "sour grapes" chances are he won't learn and play the victim role. I hope he can rise above the emotional baiters and realize his actions and learn from them. The first step to learning a consequence is accepting that you did wrong. Sounds like people on here need to learn that as well.
You act like I didn't say that already. If you read my statement well I explained what should've happened and how I would've handled it. I have no affiliation with Richlands and I don't know squash about this kid but I do WORK with kids and sometimes punishing them like this does more harm than good. That's what's wrong with kids today. People pat them on the back when all is good and then crucify them when they make a mistake. IMO this isn't teaching the kid squat. As an educator the principal at SD should examine his/her self. Reccomend the kid write to the vhsl or have an interview or something. See where the kids humility is... It's funny that people get on here and get happy over a child's misfortune. Y'all are blasting the kid and have no idea what went on or know the circumstances behind what happened. Everyone wants to be the judge and the jury. With all that said, good luck to Richlands. I don't have a dog in the fight but I'll be rooting for the underdog.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT