ADVERTISEMENT

East Rockingham

Central is better than the score indicated tonight and I submit Riverheads is better than the 28-0 score ER hung on them. Central has some good players and I wouldn’t completely sleep on them. The other piece to this is that a game that humbles you some times sharpens the focus to that razor edge you need to dominate 48 minutes at a time.

Fair enough but Watson and Blanton are talented even if they are a bit cocky. I am not sure Watson or Mullins would or will have success between the tackles. Blanton ha rhas speed to get loose outside deep Dyer better be quick getting it out or that ER D-line will be on him.

Reactions: OCBoy
East Rock is good, got to be at this point to be without a loss. They start almost 20 seniors and that really helps. They have a very good running back, a serviceable QB and a defense that gets after it. So many teams under estimate J'wan Evans. He has power, speed and can cut at full speed in addition to being a very patient runner. They can throw the ball and beat you if they need to but prefer to run the ball. Their receiving core is the outstanding and doesn't get the credit it deserves. Brown, Kisling and Morris are all basketball players as well and have owned every single jump ball Dillon Williams has thrown their way this season.

I haven't seen Central but from the scores I don't believe they have what it takes to beat ER. You never know until you line up and strap them on though and am not counting anyone out. Marshall Dillon commented that ER struggled with speed and he is correct as far as the Madison game. They adjusted after that 1st half and haven't struggled with it since. The Buffalo Gap game was a lapse in effort and if you've played the game you know what I mean. They certainly aren't unbeatable just a good, solid team on both sides of the ball.

It will be interesting to see how far East Rock can advance with their balanced offensive attack and stingy defense. I will be there along the way and sure hope they challenge Appomattox for the title!

Eastrock has not been in this position before that’s what worries me for them hopefully the gap game got them refocused a loss sometimes helps you get recentered. So I think central will be better after last nights game just has Riverheads did after eastrock. Being the team on top of hill is not an easy task.

East Rock really is that good. They have a real shot at winning a title. I think they really are 20 points better than Riverheads. After watching them dominate Riverheads earlier, if they played again the score would be similar other than I do not think they would shut the Red team out. Glenvar, Goochland and East Rock to me seem to be the front runners but I still can't count out Appo. The best thing that happened to Wilson was it was raining and muddy or The Rock could have hung 100 on us.

East Rock really is that good. They have a real shot at winning a title. I think they really are 20 points better than Riverheads. After watching them dominate Riverheads earlier, if they played again the score would be similar other than I do not think they would shut the Red team out. Glenvar, Goochland and East Rock to me seem to be the front runners but I still can't count out Appo. The best thing that happened to Wilson was it was raining and muddy or The Rock could have hung 100 on us.
So could have Riverheads

Fair enough but Watson and Blanton are talented even if they are a bit cocky. I am not sure Watson or Mullins would or will have success between the tackles. Blanton ha rhas speed to get loose outside deep Dyer better be quick getting it out or that ER D-line will be on him.
Central had better not look over Strasburg,they have improved a lot since they lost to Luray early.

So could have Riverheads

Don't sleep on Graham
I done sleeped on all of em out their when matching em up with Appo or Glenvar. The champ game is in Salem but 2 wks before game five. Anybody afters game 3 has missed the party time and going thru the motions. Raiders risin up again this year

This may upset some of you guys but East Rockingham better be glad they don't have a rematch with Riverheads.

Marshall Dillon commented that ER struggled with speed and he is correct as far as the Madison game. They adjusted after that 1st half and haven't struggled with it since.
This is why I think ER is better than Central. The ER staff saw a weak spot and addressed it. No longer an issue. I have never seen the Central coach make an adjustment to correct issues...ever.

But some are trying to apply the transitive theory— two teams playing a like opponent: if one school won/lost by this much but yours only won/lost by this much then my school would win—is just plain silly. It is about match ups and coaching.

Last edited:
Yeah, that would mean that ER “adjusted” their numbers and suddenly dropped to 1A and were allowed to play in the 1A postseason. There are already enough schools with fuzzy math in 1A
We really need to move on. Riverheads is good and better than most 2a schools. And they are right where they belong if we wasn’t winning wouldn’t be an issue we are just fortunate that we have coaches better then just about everyone else

We really need to move on. Riverheads is good and better than most 2a schools. And they are right where they belong if we wasn’t winning wouldn’t be an issue we are just fortunate that we have coaches better then just about everyone else
That post was in response to Charlie22650’s less than diplomatic post. Chill out dude. I never said Riverheads fudges their numbers. Guilty conscience?

No I don’t have guilty conscience, that talk all the time has gotten old. Just line up on other side and beat us.

This may upset some of you guys but East Rockingham better be glad they don't have a rematch with Riverheads.

The nice part is ER already won that game. Very, very convincingly. As a matter of fact they have won every game this year easily minus the lack of effort night against Buffalo Gap. I have no idea if they are better than Glenvar, Appomattox or any of the other top 2A teams but I guess time will tell.

Either way it's been a good year at the Rock. Just wait until basketball season!

I saw East Rocks basketball team at a few camps this summer. They are legit. May get off to a slow start due to suspected deep football run but I expect them to contend for a region title, if not more.

That post was in response to Charlie22650’s less than diplomatic post. Chill out dude. I never said Riverheads fudges their numbers. Guilty conscience?
I didn't mean to be diplomatic or undiplomatic,I just said they are not the same team that lost to E.R. earlier in the season by a long ways,the young players have grown up and most of E.R's are seniors.

I didn't mean to be diplomatic or undiplomatic,I just said they are not the same team that lost to E.R. earlier in the season by a long ways,the young players have grown up and most of E.R's are seniors.
I still think Riverheads would lose. The matchup still is what it is. Riverheads has gotten better since then, but so has The Rock.

No, what you said was “East Rockingham better be glad...”. Don’t try to sugar coat it now. But, at this point, what difference does it make?

Side bar: For those who catch the reference, it is intentional.

I still think Riverheads would lose. The matchup still is what it is. Riverheads has gotten better since then, but so has The Rock.
1991 Clarke County undefeated ranked #1, third game of season beat Page County 42-12,1st game of playoffs,Page beats Clarke 21-18,the young kids at Page grew up.

Everybody hates the Red Team ! They can't stand the fact they are Smaller , Better , and whip up on the Big kids . It's funny to see the new comers on the board try to stir the pot ! Best they can do is hope they get a chance to get smacked in the mouth by Big Red . LOL

Everybody hates the Red Team ! They can't stand the fact they are Smaller , Better , and whip up on the Big kids . It's funny to see the new comers on the board try to stir the pot ! Best they can do is hope they get a chance to get smacked in the mouth by Big Red . LOL
No, you can't handle the fact that you really are not the best team in the area. Most years you are not. After seeing both East Rock and Riverheads twice this year, East Rock is still better and would win 9 out of 10 games. You played each other and you lost 28-0. There is the answer. One thing that no on can deny is every year your team is very good and will win almost every game they play. Doesn't matter which kids are wearing pads.
Now, you will do what you always do and get better as the season goes on. Go to the playoffs where three 0-10 teams make it and face maybe one difficult game to win a title.
2A>1A as far as the number of good teams in the postseason. Not saying a 1A team could not win it but it is a much harder road in 2A. Put 2A teams in 3A and the same thing applies.

Before you talk about Wilson, anyone that knows us knows our problem and it ain't players. Yes, Riverheads is better than Wilson so there is nothing to discuss about that.

Stuarts Draft 2 years ago, Lee last year and East Rock this year were better and beat you. You can throw in some Wilson teams before that. Those teams didn't get to play in the 1A playoffs. Enjoy another ring.

1991 Clarke County undefeated ranked #1, third game of season beat Page County 42-12,1st game of playoffs,Page beats Clarke 21-18,the young kids at Page grew up.
I was there........beating a team twice in one year isn't easy...Clarke was up 18-0 and then stunk it up from that point on. I vividly remember the game. Was a rough night to say the least in Clarke football history as I do believe they were the best team in the state. They scrimmaged Monroe that fall (who won state title) and handled them. OK....Moving on from that nightmare! Good luck to all moving forward in the last week and the playoffs.

No, you can't handle the fact that you really are not the best team in the area. Most years you are not. After seeing both East Rock and Riverheads twice this year, East Rock is still better and would win 9 out of 10 games. You played each other and you lost 28-0. There is the answer. One thing that no on can deny is every year your team is very good and will win almost every game they play. Doesn't matter which kids are wearing pads.
Now, you will do what you always do and get better as the season goes on. Go to the playoffs where three 0-10 teams make it and face maybe one difficult game to win a title.
2A>1A as far as the number of good teams in the postseason. Not saying a 1A team could not win it but it is a much harder road in 2A. Put 2A teams in 3A and the same thing applies.

Before you talk about Wilson, anyone that knows us knows our problem and it ain't players. Yes, Riverheads is better than Wilson so there is nothing to discuss about that.

Stuarts Draft 2 years ago, Lee last year and East Rock this year were better and beat you. You can throw in some Wilson teams before that. Those teams didn't get to play in the 1A playoffs. Enjoy another ring.
No shame for a 1A team to lose to very good 2A teams. 2 being 2A state champion runner ups. Riverheads is 1A because they belong in 1A per VHSL. They play far more 2A schools than 1A schools and win most of those games. Gotta love the haters!!!

Fencepatrol;

Since you are new to the board, you might not be aware that this has been going on for years. It comes up for discussion about once a month or so, yet no one has ever offered any proof that RHS should be in a different classification, nor do we have any evidence to make us think that anyone has ever actually complained to the VHSL. And of course they conveniently ignore the fact that we have in fact competed in higher classifications in the past. Where was the sympathy for us back in the day when we got routinely crushed by the likes of Harrisonburg and Turner Ashby?

The "haters" as you call them cannot understand that we are where we are today due to a simple combination of three factors...........1) a long-term coaching staff that has designed and built a program that the whole community buys into; 2) a strong Little League program that continuously feeds into the high school team; 3) over 50 years of playing against other good teams that are often larger than we are, which has made us either get tougher or get killed.

It gets tiring but most of us on here have learned to ignore it and just let it pass until the next time it is brought up. Of course it would help if a certain RHS fan (hmmmm wonder who he means????) didn't egg it on so much.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT