3. Appomattox
4. Glenvar
5. Radford
6. Gretna
7. Central Woodstock
8. Clarke County
9. Ridgeview
10. Riverheads

Throw the records out the window. Matchups are key. I tend to think that every team in the top 5 has the potential to win it all.

Reactions: ONEFAN1
A few thoughts on some teams:

Gretna-I think we all may be sleeping on Gretna but I suppose we will find out on Friday.

Radford- Playing really well right now. (maybe best outside of Union) Can they get over the hump?

Appo- Somehow still scrapping and playing at a high level. Will beat anyteam on this list if they don't bring it.

Riverheads- I'm curious honestly. Might be trouble down the strethch for the rest of 2A.

Poquoson- I really want to include them in top 10 but tidewatertimmy ruined it for me.

Central/Clarke/Strasburg- sorry to lump you together but I find football in the Shenandoah Valley hard to evaluate. I think you guys are playing at a high level and one of you could make a deep run in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Just my observations through these first few weeks and has no basis other than my opinion.

1. Union Bears (complete smash mouth team with a defense and that wins in late Nov early Dec)
2.Clarke County (smashing people so far but their test with Central is coming, and I am never really sure how much of this is who they are playing early)
3. Graham (injuries worry me just watching them against Union because they dont appear to be as deep as they usually are, that gets fixed and they can house the field)
4. Appo (fundamentally sound team that can play any type of game they need to)
5. Central (smash mouth but not as dominant this year IMO)
6A. Radford (athletes galore but will their coaching limit them)
6B. Glenvar (similar to Radford, enough skill guys to do it but will they be utilized in a manner to let them)

IMO 8 through about 12 are all similar with questions surrounding them in they have lots of pieces but how complete can they be come the playoff stretch. In any order you personally like:
Riverheads (not playing badly but not cohesive yet potential to be dangerous)
Buckingham (mystery until November, sort of Jekyl and Hyde at times)
Ridgeview (what's their identity, what do they hang their hat on when game is on the line)
Poquoson (are they as fast and strong inside as they usually are)
Maybe Draft, Maybe Tazewell, Maybe KW

Region A, no disrespect to the teams out east but Poquoson and KW have carried the flag for a few years and I dont see anyone else jumping in there. Someone tell me if I am not seeing someone that can get it done

Region B is ok but the top three are only slightly better than the others (and it really isn't by that much)

Region C is going to be Appo until someone beats them a few times in a row. Top to bottom as sound a program as the state has seen. I like Radford and Glenvar but when the rubber hits the road experience and fundamentals always seem to give the edge to the Raiders.

Region D will be fun to see once everyone that can be is back healthy. Ridgeview is an oddity for me only because I keep hearing this is the year and never the results. Union and Graham are set to bang again unless someone is able to breakthrough and impose their will.

Edit: I had overlooked that Lunenburg is in Class 2 Region A so thats another one to consider if the cards fall right and they continue on the path they are on.

Last edited:
Just my observations through these first few weeks and has no basis other than my opinion.

1. Union Bears (complete smash mouth team with a defense and that wins in late Nov early Dec)
2.Clarke County (smashing people so far but their test with Central is coming, and I am never really sure how much of this is who they are playing early)
3. Graham (injuries worry me just watching them against Union because they dont appear to be as deep as they usually are, that gets fixed and they can house the field)
6B. Glenvar (similar to Radford, enough skill guys to do it but will they be utilized in a manner to let them)

IMO 8 through about 12 are all similar with questions surrounding them in they have lots of pieces but how complete can they be come the playoff stretch. In any order you personally like:
Ridgeview (what's their identity, what do they hang their hat on when game is on the line)

Region A, no disrespect to the teams out east but Poquoson and KW have carried the flag for a few years and I dont see anyone else jumping in there. Someone tell me if I am not seeing someone that can get it done

Region B is ok but the top three are only slightly better than the others (and it really isn't by that much)

Region C is going to be Appo until someone beats them a few times in a row. Top to bottom as sound a program as the state has seen. I like Radford and Glenvar but when the rubber hits the road experience and fundamentals always seem to give the edge to the Raiders.

Region D will be fun to see once everyone that can be is back healthy. Ridgeview is an oddity for me only because I keep hearing this is the year and never the results. Union and Graham are set to bang again unless someone is able to breakthrough and impose their will.

Edit: I had overlooked that Lunenburg is in Class 2 Region A so thats another one to consider if the cards fall right and they continue on the path they are on.
RedPrideNation_RollPride: I like your rankings they look to be dead on from what games i have seen. Hard for me to rank them because you have several good teams this year.

I can tell you this from being fairly close here in swva to Graham and knowing some of their fans and reading swvasports. They are dangerous. They had 3 starters out against Union and had another 3 banged up/were not 100%. That's basically 50+ percent of the starters that were either out or played hurt. They are just as dangerous as always when they get healthy. I'm afraid we will see a different team come playoff time when they are healthy. Union is outstanding and they are more than smashmouth. They have athletes including the QB that can house it from long distance. Graham and Union are my frontrunners to win the whole thing.

Thanks, very good read.

1. Union
2. Graham (when healthy #1, think they'll beat Union in rematch)
3. Radford
4. Appo
5. Central (Woodstock)
6. Glenvar
7. Clarke County
8. Riverheads
9. Gretna
10. Poquoson

Reactions: Gridiron1960
Went back and watched Graham vs. Union last night. They both are extremely physical, fast, athletic, and well coached. It will take exceptional coaching to beat them because I don't think anyone will match them from a pure depth and talent perspective.

Reactions: AntGZee
Is this the official VAPreps list? If not plz link it.

I’d go

Union
Clarke
Graham
Radford
Appo
CW
Glenvar
Riverheads
Poquoson
Ridgeview

I’m def missing someone.

I can tell you this from being fairly close here in swva to Graham and knowing some of their fans and reading swvasports. They are dangerous. They had 3 starters out against Union and had another 3 banged up/were not 100%. That's basically 50+ percent of the starters that were either out or played hurt. They are just as dangerous as always when they get healthy. I'm afraid we will see a different team come playoff time when they are healthy. Union is outstanding and they are more than smashmouth. They have athletes including the QB that can house it from long distance. Graham and Union are my frontrunners to win the whole thing.
I’d argue Union may have the deepest set of WRs in the West, maybe further. They’re all young but insanely talented.

Reactions: Hokie1Pokie
Add the QB and the RBs, and probably the best overall skill position players in the west and maybe the whole state. Unions solid this year. Even with Graham healthy, I favor Union by a 7-10 in game two unless Union gets some injuries and Graham improves a whole lot.

Reactions: Gridiron1960
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT