ADVERTISEMENT

Calpreps Projections for Class 2-Regional and Statewide Hypotheticals

Fairlawncat

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 24, 2018
Calpreps Favorites
1. Tier 1, Radford
2. Tier 2, Graham, Union, Woodstock, Riverheads, Poquoson all within inches or very close to one another.
3. Teams not mentioned above that could still win the whole thing in my opinion are teams like Appo, King William, Strasburg, Buckingham, Gretna.
4. Lot of variables with the 5 teams I mentioned that makes them dangerous. King William, now runs the single wing is my understanding and isn't having close games since doing it. Started out a very young team and has probably the most difficult Class 2 schedule in Virginia. Appo now has Mike Smith back on the sidelines and a young team that has also matured and as always....it's Appo. No need to say anymore. They are dangerous. Strasburg is good. I watched them play Central. They are kind of under the radar on talent and team speed. Buckingham is electrically athletic and started with players out early in the season and they are now healthy and the danger with them is that they seem to have an offense. That's scary. Gretna has the new coach and he knows football and has buy in from the community and Gretna has always had talent, but coaching was so-so. That's not the case anymore.

Region A Matchups if the Teams Played Today
Poquoson 31, King William 14
King William 31, Lunenburg 24
***Lunenburg 31, Southampton 28 in first round playoff matchup
Southampton 28, Amelia 21
King William 28, Southampton 17
***Amelia 31, Greensville County 24 in first round playoff matchup

Region B Matchups if the Teams Played Today
Central Woodstock 19, Riverheads 17
Central Woodstock 21, Buckingham 14
Riverheads 24, Buckingham 14
***Clarke County 19, Buckingham 17 in first round playoff matchup
Riverheads 24, Clarke County 14
Central Woodstock 20, Clarke County 13
***Strasburg 27, Fort D 24 in first round playoff matchup

Region C Matchups if the Teams Played Today
Radford 34, Gretna 19
Radford 40, Appomattox County 22
Radford 35, Glenvar 17
Gretna 26, Glenvar 24
Gretna 27, Appomattox County 24
***Appomattox County 42, Chatham 22 in first round playoff matchup
***Glenvar 41, Patrick County 14 in first round playoff matchup

Region D Matchups if the Teams Played Today
Graham 21, Union 20
Graham 34, Gate City 7
Union 38, Tazewell 21
***Tazewell 35, Ridgeview 24 in first round playoff matchup
***Gate City 28, Marion 13 in first round playoff matchup

Statewide Class 2 Matchups if the Teams Played today
Riverheads 24, Poquoson 21
Radford 31, Graham 24
Radford 28, Central W 20
Radford 31, Riverheads 21
Graham 24, Riverheads 21
Graham 21, Central Woodstock 17
Riverheads 21, Union 20
Central Woodstock 21, Union 17
Union 28., Appomattox County 21
Union 21, Poquoson 20
Graham 28, Poquoson 20
Central Woodstock 22, Poquoson 19
Poquoson 28, Appomattox 24
Central Woodstock 28, King William 10
Union 28, King William 14
Radford 41, King William 12

Radford looks like the team to beat! We may see them in Salem! Could we have another perfect season for the 2nd straight year in Class 2A? I guess we’ll see!

I followed 1A/2A football closely from 1995-2015. I took about 5 years of not watching as much and have been back for the past 3 seasons. Can anyone remember a more wide open race for the title? I have some recency bias but I see 5-6 true contenders.

Reactions: Stabler1980
I followed 1A/2A football closely from 1995-2015. I took about 5 years of not watching as much and have been back for the past 3 seasons. Can anyone remember a more wide open race for the title? I have some recency bias but I see 5-6 true contenders.
Never seen anything like this in over 20 years.

That kind of parity is obvious even within our own region (B). I think I read somewhere on here that 7 out of the 8 teams are good enough to take the region. Whoever said that was counting Stuarts Draft as the odd man out because of them drawing Central in the first round, but maybe even that is something worthy of more thought.

There is certainly parity in B but Draft won't beat Woodstock if they played 10 times. I like it when the 'doah does well but SD has been pretty one dimensional this year will limited success. Everyone else has a shot if they play to their potential and catch a break or two.

And I am not hating on Draft, just my opinion that they are down this year with lots of potential if and when they figure it out, just very slim possibility of it being this year.

@Stabler1980 I am in the minority but I would like to see 16 from each half then crossing the semis like it was for a bit. Highest seed from one half against the lower seed left from the other half on both sides. Travel would increase but the games would likely be much better through out the playoffs. And IMO you would get the two best teams on more occasions than what happens currently.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT