ADVERTISEMENT

Essex at Riverheads 3 pm Tuesday

Everybody will be a nervous wreck that day since that is the day they are calling for the best chance of rain.

We have had some morning rain but it is "supposed" to clear off this afternoon, although it will still be chilly and cloudy for the middle of June. We will keep you posted on the status and hopefully have a normal report of a game played right on schedule, with one team advancing to the state finals Saturday, when of COURSE it is supposed to rain again!!!!

Reactions: uvacavs1
Looking forward to this one. Any live streaming options? Essex home radio station will broadcast. You can listen online at realradio804.com

Reactions: uvacavs1
Wow - Essex crushing Riverheads 6-0 - bottom of the 6th.

Nice work, boys. Now finish the old Big Red off.

Congrats go to the Essex Baseball program!

Essex wins the state semis 6-2 over Riverheads.

Well done! Good luck in the State Championship!

Reactions: riversportsfan
As just mentioned, the rain was the least of Riverheads' problems today as the Gladiators simply had no answer for number 8 on the mound. He pitched a complete game and had the Big Red batters buffaloed for almost the entire game.

Riverheads did come alive somewhat in the bottom of the 6th to score its two runs and, as they would say on the old Teevee, they "had the tying run at the plate." But that batter flew out to end the inning leaving the bases loaded, and Essex quickly and efficiently ended things with a double play in the bottom of the 7th.

Essex had scratched with single runs in the first and second, followed by three scoreless innings. RHS just could not get anything going and a four-run Trojan uprising in the sixth sealed the deal. Essex fans will now travel again, but it will be a MUCH longer trip to either Auburn or Chilhowie. Those two are deciding that issue as we speak.

Before I get to the REAL main event of the day, our Cavaliers out in Omaha, if I may I would like to vent a little about the way tickets were handled today. Apparently I am more out of the loop than I thought I was, because I did not realize until I got to the game today that cash at the gate would not be accepted.

Oh I knew that you COULD buy tickets in advance online, but I sure as heck did not know that you HAD to. After all, everybody had taken cash all season, Rappahannock County took it last week in the regional opener, so when did things change?

So there I was, along with another long time RHS supporter, trying to get our phones and our old eyeballs to work, trying to "order" a ticket online right there at the gate, while the ticket taking lady, nice person that she was, stood there guiding us through the process.

Well it would have been OK if the cottonpicking thing had worked. But when I finally logged on to the correct site, it said "there were no events scheduled today."

Finally on the advice of a Riverheads parent who will be providing that school with some quality athletes for quite a few more years, I just walked on in. Being the honest person I am, I will either mail or deliver my admission fee to the school this week.

I assume this was all COVID-related but it was not that well-publicized, and the lady at the gate told me that she had actually had to turn some people away today. If that really happened at Riverheads or anyplace else around the state today, especially to anyone who had traveled any kind of distance, then there was something fundamentally wrong with that system.

No one who has the money in hand should ever be turned away from any sporting event. I am sure the VHSL is to blame much more than anyone at RHS. Whatever this was all about I hope it was temporary and that come next fall, cash will still be worth something at the gates around the state.

Congrats to the Trojans...definitely the better team, and I wish them best of luck Saturday.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT