ADVERTISEMENT

Ev blows out Culpeper

Nov 19, 2015
Not that this was unexpected but Culpeper seems to moving backwards over the years. Would not be surprised with the new AD if this is the last year for Culpeper's head coach and staff.

I doubt the new AD will make a move. The biggest problem is that EV has developed quickly. Tough to have 2 quality programs in a relatively small city/county.

How is Culpeper moving backwards this is a program that won 5 games last year. They haven't won 5 games since 2002. They have made the playoffs the last two years and competed in both games. How is it much what EV has done they win 8 games most of which are against weak 3a teams and then get rolled when they play a semi-talented 4a team in the playoffs.

How is Culpeper moving backwards this is a program that won 5 games last year. They haven't won 5 games since 2002. They have made the playoffs the last two years and competed in both games. How is it much what EV has done they win 8 games most of which are against weak 3a teams and then get rolled when they play a semi-talented 4a team in the playoffs.
That's a great 1st post....a lot of thought put into that one

I doubt the new AD will make a move. The biggest problem is that EV has developed quickly. Tough to have 2 quality programs in a relatively small city/county.
I wouldn't be surprised if Culpeper still makes the playoffs. No one very tough on their remaining schedule. There isn't a lot of depth in 3A. Brentsville is undefeated and ranked in the top-5 by VHSL, and I'm going to be very surprised if EV doesn't win big against them in a couple weeks.

No need to get upset i mean facts are facts EV is 4-4 in the playoffs and their average second round loss is by 25 points so how am I wrong ? Don't need a lot of thought it is what it is. Ev will probably go 10-0 and then get beat second round and that's a great regular season but doesn't really mean much if you lose by almost 4 tds when you play a quality team.

I don't know if I would say getting beat in the playoffs by Woodgrove, Jefferson Forest, and Courtland the last 3 years is getting beat by semi-talented teams. If you watched the game on Friday, Culpeper did not look very good...worse than last year. BUT they will probably still make the playoffs this year in a weak 3A division

Ok your right quality teams that beat EV by 25 every year in the second round but none of those teams won state titles either. I mean isn't that the goal to win in the end and EV beat two good teams in Chancellor and Sherando but what does that matter if they lose in the second round again. I wish they would win a couple games and make a run to states but every year been the same thing a great regular season with a bunch of hype and then a huge let down when they play a game they aren't supposed to win.

I think that program has been getting better each year. They weren't favored in the games they lost so no big surprise or let down I don't think....just got beat. I know a lot of teams that would like to be in that position.

So winning a second round game is a position most programs would love to be in ? By that logic hasn't culpeper been a game away from that the last two years.

EV upsetting Powhatan in the playoffs after thinking they were out and had packed up equipment might be the highlight of its short existence.

Reactions: OCBoy
EV upsetting Powhatan in the playoffs after thinking they were out and had packed up equipment might be the highlight of its short existence.
Could be....even though it was a loss for EV, the JF playoff game 2 years ago was a wild game to watch. One of highest scoring games in history.

The point I am making goes back to original post. EV beats the teams it is supposed to beat and loses to the teams they aren't favored to beat. How is this much different than what Culpeper has done the last three years. The games they were favorite against like spotsy and Fluvanna they have won. They aren't picked to beat any of the Fauquier schools or EV and they lost those games. Both have made the playoffs and both have an early exit. Is Ev the better program Yes but they aren't a power house 4A program and aren't respected outside of Culpeper county. So yes EV is the best program in Culpeper county and that makes them proud. We will see how they do in the playoffs this year and if they beat a team like Louisa in second round they will earn respect but they haven't been able to do it yet

Didn't hear many say EV was favored to beat Chancellor or Sherando this year....and I'm not going to throw-up all the bad teams Culpeper has lost to over the past many years...can't rag on my Alma Mater but so much

Why wouldn't they be favored over Chancellor at home they beat them last year in the playoffs and Sherando has lost 3 games. That's what I mean why wouldn't they be favored except for the fact that people don't respect EV. EV is a good team and will be undefeated but I wouldn't be surprised if they lost to Chancellor in the playoffs. Culpeper lost to everyone they played until three years ago and they don't have big win in this time but you cant say that things are worst now. They won 8 games in 5 seasons before 2013 they won 5 last year. I am not trying to down EV here I hope they win a state title and bring another one to Culpeper. I am saying that the idea that Culpeper is taking a step back is crazy and EV has been in the same position for last five years trying to win 2 playoff games.

Did you go to the game Friday? I would say they look worse than they have the previous couple of years. They do have a 9th grader playing QB...so that explains a lot. Big kid might be good in a while but to much to ask of him right now IMO.

I saw the game went how everyone expected it to go a much bigger deeper 4A team beating up on a 3A team with 24 kids on the team. I did go to the EV vs Manassas Park game and I would take that freshman over the EV QB who was missing wide open receivers all over the field IMO.

Not like they went from 60 to 24 been that way for a long time and yet they have been more successful with the same numbers. If EV doesn't win a second round game did they get better as program ? Haven't they accomplished that before and what happens when they go to the battlefield next year and lose a couple games is that a step back ? Isn't anything but a title exactly the same for all the teams who make playoffs. If you win 8 games every year and never get a championship does the cannon ball classic really mean that much.

If you think they look as good as they have the last couple years....I'll just have to disagree.

I think they looked just like they did last year against EV. EV ran the ball all over the field and Culpeper couldn't pass on them. EV was much bigger and Culpeper had trouble tackling. Pretty much the same script as the last couple years. Isn't this EV's best team ever shouldn't Culpeper look like that. Don't you agree EV is a better team than last couple years?

Not sure if EV is better yet or not (overall). I think they might be better defensively, which might make the difference. Running game is very good, but the QB turns it over way more than the previous 3-years. We'll see on that. I think Culpeper had better skill players last year, but their line(s) still struggle.

Who said this was EV's best team ever? I don't remember anyone making that claim. It's pretty simple: EV has a very good program with many good seasons in its short history, period. During the same time, the CCHS program has suffered with 0 wins vs EV. And as others have said, CCHS looks worse than previous seasons while EV has yet another solid team. Getting past the 2nd round (top 4 in the region) is certainly the goal and would make for a special season. I believe that the Cyclones would most likely have to go through Dinwiddie this year for that to happen. A loss there would certainly not turn the season into a disappointment.

Who said this was EV's best team ever? I don't remember anyone making that claim. It's pretty simple: EV has a very good program with many good seasons in its short history, period. During the same time, the CCHS program has suffered with 0 wins vs EV. And as others have said, CCHS looks worse than previous seasons while EV has yet another solid team. Getting past the 2nd round (top 4 in the region) is certainly the goal and would make for a special season. I believe that the Cyclones would most likely have to go through Dinwiddie this year for that to happen. A loss there would certainly not turn the season into a disappointment.
All True

No one said best team ever I don't consider a team that hasn't made top four in region after winning 8 games a year a very good program. If you can win 8 games a year shouldn't you be able to compete with those teams like liberty and courtland has. I know last year Courtland couldn't wait to play EV in the playoffs because they knew what they would do to them. Same thing dinwiddie is thinking if they get them that they are going to run all over them. Everyone knows who EV are regular season champs who can't crack top four in the region. All teams are 0-0 in playoffs and what you do in the playoffs against similar talent is all that really counts.

EV is no better than they were last year or the one before, they just don't have the level of competition they had in those years. Can't believe Culpepper is in the conversation though . EV much better team and well coached on the offensive side of the ball.

EV is no better than they were last year or the one before, they just don't have the level of competition they had in those years. Can't believe Culpepper is in the conversation though . EV much better team and well coached on the offensive side of the ball.
Chancellor is not better than last year? Or the year before that?

I can't give give you a definitive answer on that as I am not a regular follower of Chancellor, but I have seen the film , decent team , lot of solid stuff from them.

Ev has one losing season since the school opened. Made the playoffs 4 times out of 8 years. They have always been the under dog under sized and counted out from everyone. Yes they have a history of losing in the second round but the JF game could of been a different outcome if it was not for a few plays. Woodgrove they were simply undersized. The two losses to courtland was tough. Both teams already hate each other and play each other tough. And the powhatan game was a pure air strike from ev. The point I was making is watching Culpeper over the years play is like watching middle school football. They don't look like they know what they are doing players and coaches. Being at best 500 every year would not cut it for me knowing they have better talent then 500. Only reason I mentioned that. But saying ev is no different the CC is a joke. Making the playoffs every year and making it to the second round is nothing to shake your head at. Winning the state title takes alot of team talent and will and mostly luck going through the playoffs and what match up you get. So who knows what team that will be this year. All it takes is one strand of luck.

This is an interesting thread. I am curious what VAfan knows about 3A and 4A. Let me help you. CC has the second highest enrollment in 3A. They actually have 4A numbers but I assume chose to stay in 3A as they are within 5% of the 3A number (if thats how that works?). Same is true of Spotsy. EV only has 100 more students than CC, same is true of Liberty and Kettle run. All those schools are on the bottom third of 4A. CC has more students than Charloettsville and two other 4A teams. They have the same number as Cortland. The narrative of Big bad 4A school VS tiny defensless 3A school is funny. I see CC scheduled Marion which has 500+ students less than CC. EV plays most teams well within their enrollment. The facts are the facts which includes they have not gotten past the second round. They keep working though and never make excuses which is all I ever here from CC. Like last years we play up slogan.. just a preset excuse for losing.

True dat EVcyc.....the main reason people on preps still rag on EV is due to a couple former players that use to come on here and say how EV was gonna beat JM/Court/etc years back. Luckily for EV those idiots transferred...unluckily for Culpeper they came there. Still left a bad taste for some...culture of that team has hanged a ton

True dat EVcyc.....the main reason people on preps still rag on EV is due to a couple former players that use to come on here and say how EV was gonna beat JM/Court/etc years back. Luckily for EV those idiots transferred...unluckily for Culpeper they came there. Still left a bad taste for some...culture of that team has hanged a ton
who was that? are you talking about Pendleton, shanks, and that group

In my mind EV is a very good offensive team, but until you have a defense you will not go deep in the playoffs. I don't care what anyone has said years ago. All those teams EV CYC. Is comparing and contrasting enrollment to down there near Culpepper is like Sherando comparing to James Wood. They all have the about the same enrollment who cares, EV will be considered an elite team once they get over the hump. They need the defense.

Who cares about numbers when EV plays a 3A schedule. I know what you are going to say is are Chancellor and Sherando a 3A schedule okay for the last two years they took on 2 tough games and are 2-2 in those games congratulations. Here some enrollment numbers Courtland 1182 EV 1180 do those two extra students account for the four touchdowns Courtland beats EV by every time they play. I have no ties to EV or CCHS but I know the feelings from the programs in the Fredericksburg is that EV plays a soft schedule and is over rated. Their playoff record supports this. EV didn't want to leave the evergreen and go to the battlefield because they will have to play some tough games in their district now. The only tough district game they have had in evergreen is Liberty and they have a losing record to Liberty. Are they better than CCHS yes but you just compared CC to a middle school team so that's really something to be proud of. All the EV parents on here who are catching feelings its simple you want respect go beat one of the top teams and be top four in the region which still only means you are top 16 for 4A in the state. IF you have a 10-0 record at the end of the year but aren't top 16 in the state then what does that say. You have a cupcake schedule.

2A, 3A, 4A, 5A....doesn't matter. You're either good or you're not. I doubt if any 4A/5A teams see 3A JM on their schedule that they think it's a cupcake game. EV didn't want to leave Evergreen? You know this how?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT