ADVERTISEMENT

Ev blows out Culpeper

Who cares about numbers when EV plays a 3A schedule. I know what you are going to say is are Chancellor and Sherando a 3A schedule okay for the last two years they took on 2 tough games and are 2-2 in those games congratulations. Here some enrollment numbers Courtland 1182 EV 1180 do those two extra students account for the four touchdowns Courtland beats EV by every time they play. I have no ties to EV or CCHS but I know the feelings from the programs in the Fredericksburg is that EV plays a soft schedule and is over rated. Their playoff record supports this. EV didn't want to leave the evergreen and go to the battlefield because they will have to play some tough games in their district now. The only tough district game they have had in evergreen is Liberty and they have a losing record to Liberty. Are they better than CCHS yes but you just compared CC to a middle school team so that's really something to be proud of. All the EV parents on here who are catching feelings its simple you want respect go beat one of the top teams and be top four in the region which still only means you are top 16 for 4A in the state. IF you have a 10-0 record at the end of the year but aren't top 16 in the state then what does that say. You have a cupcake schedule.
I think you need some Gold Bond to help with the butt hurt you at experiencing over EV! Why all the vitriol? EV has accomplished a GREAT deal in their what, 8 year history? CC has back slid consistently since 1999.

EV is a solid up and coming program, with a good future, but if they wanted to keep the schedule tough , they wouldn't have dropped Sherando for next season. Could have been a continued rivalry, close enough and all the no affect on district play. Maybe there was a schedule conflict.

We all know people and have our sources. Why don't you ask them how they feel about it you seem close to the team. Lets not even get into that lets just look at the facts EV has won 59 games the last 8 years that means they win 7.4 games a year. Their opponents record is 438-495 that is a winning percentage of 47% and these numbers are skewed due to their play off opponents who have good records and beat EV by 25 points. So what does that mean its simple EV is beating people with losing records that everyone else is beating that means average. When they play good teams with winning records they lose by 3 scores on average. None of this is opinion its just facts could this finally be the year they get over the hump and win two post season games maybe but if not its the same story as it has been decent team with a weak schedule that gets beat soundly by a good 4A program that plays a balanced schedule.

I am not sure I would use the word vitriol if stating facts is too harsh of a criticism than yea I need that Gold Bond Marshall can I borrow yours? Once again why are we comparing EV to CCHS. CCHS has been a bottom dwelling program last 15 years why aren't we comparing EV to Liberty and Courtland the last 8 years. Oh wait cause they can win those games and their goal as a program isn't to get past second round.

Well...whoever your sources are don't know what they're talking about.
I think you need some Gold Bond to help with the butt hurt you at experiencing over EV! Why all the vitriol? EV has accomplished a GREAT deal in their what, 8 year history? CC has back slid consistently since 1999.
Homey joined yesterday cause he had his ax he wanted to grind...no biggie

This thread has taken many twists and turns. It started somewhere around CC needing to revamp the staff and culture. EV is not elite and I don't think anyone is really claiming that. But they continue to improve as a program even if you don't think they are better than the last few years. That might be true, but how they are doing it is better. They went from Kube to Stallings to a team that doesn't really have a main superstar but is better as a whole (although Diago is close). They are stronger than years past, they don't just take a hit and give up. They will hit you back now. The schedule they play is set. Liberty and Kettle run at the time they scheduled this were very good programs. I am very excited about the battlefield change. I am under the impression EV requested to move into the Battlefield. This years playoff from a view of a few miles away, will be a tough run. They are in a tough bracket this year with Louisa, Dinwidde, Monacan, KG and Chancellor.

We all know people and have our sources. Why don't you ask them how they feel about it you seem close to the team. Lets not even get into that lets just look at the facts EV has won 59 games the last 8 years that means they win 7.4 games a year. Their opponents record is 438-495 that is a winning percentage of 47% and these numbers are skewed due to their play off opponents who have good records and beat EV by 25 points. So what does that mean its simple EV is beating people with losing records that everyone else is beating that means average. When they play good teams with winning records they lose by 3 scores on average. None of this is opinion its just facts could this finally be the year they get over the hump and win two post season games maybe but if not its the same story as it has been decent team with a weak schedule that gets beat soundly by a good 4A program that plays a balanced schedule.
First off you have wayyyy to much time on your hands to be doing these types of numbers on high school football. Second your statement from your "sources" of ev did not want to leave the evergreen is false. I know first hand they wanted to get back to the battlefield district because of the competition level from football to basketball to baseball. In my opinion the battlefield is one of the best districts in the state or use to be.

No I don't have an Axe to grind just been reading all the posts for a long time and wanted to join the party. We can all be best friends and watch the Brentsville game together. I am only saying what the rest of the state outside of the EV bubble already know. If you don't like it beat some of those teams and change it until then keep comparing EV to CCHS. Cannonball classic champs nothing to be ashamed of.

No I don't have an Axe to grind just been reading all the posts for a long time and wanted to join the party. We can all be best friends and watch the Brentsville game together. I am only saying what the rest of the state outside of the EV bubble already know. If you don't like it beat some of those teams and change it until then keep comparing EV to CCHS. Cannonball classic champs nothing to be ashamed of.
Now you are just talking nonsense. Ask anyone you want inside and outside of Culpeper and they will tell you Ev and CC can not even be compared on the same page when it come to the football programs. But I am guessing you will be at the brentsville game?

Not what I said what I said was people on here keep talking about EV going right direction and CCHS going down. CCHS been bad so long not sure you can go any worst and EV is respected in culpeper that's it. No where else does anyone look at their record and say wow that's a good team. Okay they wanted to get out the evergreen and go to battlefield. Of course they are going to say that now that it's done if given the choice they would love to keep the fauquier schools on there schedule you think they want to replace a 4A game against fauquier or kettle run to play 3A JM. You are fooling yourself to think they want courtland and JM every year instead of manassas park and brentsville. I don't care what a bunch of EV fans say on here I'm telling you what the rest of the state knows and the numbers support. No point in getting worked up about it you will get your chance in a couple weeks to prove them wrong. Go get em Cyclones I'll be in the stands yelling Feel the Wind with the rest of you. Yea I'll be brentsville next week I never miss an EV game I'm a huge fan have been for years.

Turns out you're a disgruntled EV fan? Wow. I bet the boys really appreciate your support! EV is 6-0 and will be 10-0 heading into the playoffs. I'm a fan of Liberty (Bealeton) and I can tell you I respect that! It's safe to say Chancellor and Sherando respect that team too. As for Courtland, sure they won handily last year with a loaded roster. They would want no part of EV this year. Like EVcyc said, there is no star player on this team and they lost some studs from last year. Tells me the program is healthy and heading up. Can't say the same for Courtland.

Reactions: Cpep_greatest
I am new to this whole preps thing. But as my first post and a Culpeper native, here is my two cents on the Ev Culpeper rival. Ev developed rather quickly as a new high school. The down fall of Culpeper sports started before ev was in existence. As far as the rivalry goes, ev will always have the better football program until Culpeper can find the right staff on and off the field who knows something about the town/rivalry. Ev has always been undersized hence why the run the spread. And for someone to think this year or last year was Ev's best talented teams teams is crazy. Yall must have not been around during the first three years of ev during the stevie era or the Shanks, Pendleton, Lacy era. As far as the other sports, ev basketball might actually be here to stay thanks to a young coach who knows the rivalry and kids. Besides baseball and field hockey, other sports are toss ups. Athletic programs start from the top starting with AD and principal, if they don't get it, programs will suffer.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Welcome Cpep. Glad to have you aboard. I had to chuckle when you mentioned the basketball team. I'm still smarting from the whopping we took from EV. The best thing about my trip up there was getting to meet OCBoy personally. Great guy, buy the way.

Vasportsfan, you mentioned we can all watch the brentsville game together... hoping to be able to make it next week and might except that offer to meet up and talk for a few minutes and watch the game

Sure bud lets meet up it will be a great time as a die hard EV fan I would trade a 6-4 record against some real teams and a deep playoff run over the beating we are going to give brentsville on next Friday. I'm all about EV whipping up on some 3A teams but tired of fools gold and in the end and getting rolled second round I've seen this the last four years and at some point just need a little more from such a talented program. Maybe you guys are right it is the coaches and EV and CCHS should all just clean house. One has the talent the other doesn't neither win when it counts let's fire them all.

Reactions: Cpep_greatest
Sure bud lets meet up it will be a great time as a die hard EV fan I would trade a 6-4 record against some real teams and a deep playoff run over the beating we are going to give brentsville on next Friday. I'm all about EV whipping up on some 3A teams but tired of fools gold and in the end and getting rolled second round I've seen this the last four years and at some point just need a little more from such a talented program. Maybe you guys are right it is the coaches and EV and CCHS should all just clean house. One has the talent the other doesn't neither win when it counts let's fire them all.
meant accept that offer haha but we will arrange something next week.

In the for-what-it-is-worth category, I am not remotely convinced that EV has the offensive diversity to make a deep playoff run THIS year. Just when one of the freshmen playmakers-in-training was starting to show real promise (Leake) he is out for the rest of the year(?) with an injury. Orange is out. I know that many teams suffer injuries as the season wears on but EV had/has a slim margin this year, IMHO. I hope I am wrong.

I am new to this whole preps thing. But as my first post and a Culpeper native, here is my two cents on the Ev Culpeper rival. Ev developed rather quickly as a new high school. The down fall of Culpeper sports started before ev was in existence. As far as the rivalry goes, ev will always have the better football program until Culpeper can find the right staff on and off the field who knows something about the town/rivalry. Ev has always been undersized hence why the run the spread. And for someone to think this year or last year was Ev's best talented teams teams is crazy. Yall must have not been around during the first three years of ev during the stevie era or the Shanks, Pendleton, Lacy era. As far as the other sports, ev basketball might actually be here to stay thanks to a young coach who knows the rivalry and kids. Besides baseball and field hockey, other sports are toss ups. Athletic programs start from the top starting with AD and principal, if they don't get it, programs will suffer.
I would say this year and the last 2-years were more talented than any previous EV team from a size standpoint. O and D line from years past were very small...not the last 2 years. Skill positions were very good in years past though, and are still good. Stevie Strother made his own holes. I still believe there is plenty of talent over at CCHS to have a very good team.

In the for-what-it-is-worth category, I am not remotely convinced that EV has the offensive diversity to make a deep playoff run THIS year. Just when one of the freshmen playmakers-in-training was starting to show real promise (Leake) he is out for the rest of the year(?) with an injury. Orange is out. I know that many teams suffer injuries as the season wears on but EV had/has a slim margin this year, IMHO. I hope I am wrong.
I don't think that's the case here....EV has 3 very good running backs that can pick up the slack for Orange. Leake hurts some but EV doesn't throw it anywhere near as much as they use to. Not sure, but he might be back by end of the the year (broke hand?). Just don't want any injuries to the line(s).

That looks like a fairly favorable schedule. Potentially, the toughest two games are at the end of the season, giving the Cyclones the chance to have worked out all of the bugs.

Seeing Turner Ashby on the schedule reminded me of something. I can't remember if it was TA for sure, but a couple of years ago a head coach up that way had a medical emergency on the sideline during a game. Does this ring a bell with anyone? I'm just curious how this turned out. Was he able to return to coaching?

I don't think that's the case here....EV has 3 very good running backs that can pick up the slack for Orange. Leake hurts some but EV doesn't throw it anywhere near as much as they use to. Not sure, but he might be back by end of the the year (broke hand?). Just don't want any injuries to the line(s).
I heard Leake had surgery on a broken finger or something like that and is probably out the rest of the season. I hope you are right about the offense. I just don't get the sense that the offense will be diverse enough when it comes time to play teams who can take away the run.
I would REALLY like to have seen Strother play behind the o-lines of the last couple of seasons.

That looks like a fairly favorable schedule. Potentially, the toughest two games are at the end of the season, giving the Cyclones the chance to have worked out all of the bugs.

Seeing Turner Ashby on the schedule reminded me of something. I can't remember if it was TA for sure, but a couple of years ago a head coach up that way had a medical emergency on the sideline during a game. Does this ring a bell with anyone? I'm just curious how this turned out. Was he able to return to coaching?
He's still the head coach. Here's the article from when it happened http://www.whsv.com/home/headlines/Coach-Collapses-on-Field-During-Game-274980201.html

That schedule appears it could be tougher with Chancellor King George JM and depends on how the pups at courtland turn out. I wish they would have kept Sherando and added Louisa instead of brentsville or Turner ashby. TA Orange and brentsville isn't a very good out of district schedule though

That schedule appears it could be tougher with Chancellor King George JM and depends on how the pups at courtland turn out. I wish they would have kept Sherando and added Louisa instead of brentsville or Turner ashby. TA Orange and brentsville isn't a very good out of district schedule though

No sir, doesnt look like a lot of rider points to be had there. Although, it appears that Orange is on an upswing. Speaking of Brenstville, a retired dairy farmer bought some land and built a house a few miles from me. It's an old mill pond, (actually a lake), and it was marketed across the state as a place to build a retirement home. The notable thing is this farmer played football for Nokesville. I got lucky and did a little job for him. I personally didn't get much work done, but he and I shared football talk for hours on end.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT