ADVERTISEMENT

EV needs to wake up

Aug 11, 2014
After 2 scrimmages, I have been trying to figure out who this team is. There is little to no life from the squad. The chip on their shoulder has turned to what appears to be complacency. I say this knowing they are dealing with the injury bug very early, but at the same time no one has stood out. I don't see an all state anything out there. I have been trying to find excuses for it..
- It's the first week of school
- They condition very hard and their tired
- The players who aren't playing will make the difference
- It's really hot out
- And these are just scimmages

But those things are fake news. The difference right now is attitude. How they are representing themselves right now, I haven't seen it in my time watching.

On the bright side, if this doesn't change, we will get to watch more "in season" competitive football on Friday nights, just not in late November.

Disclaimer: They have a talented team. They have the potential to be the team, but potential energy isn't useful until you turn on the switch.

Disclaimer 2: The backups, on the other hand, are playing with the attitude and chip the starters used to have...

Last edited:
Reactions: OCBoy and washwell
Could the tables slowly be turning back towards Culpeper and away from EV? Let's wait until after a few real games to make any assumptions.

Could the tables slowly be turning back towards Culpeper and away from EV? Let's wait until after a few real games to make any assumptions.
As long as Hatfield is there it will be taken care of. Culpeper has issues outside of talent that will keep it from turning back

Maybe this just isn’t there year, not like they are on the brink of anything

Well when you're destroying everyone during the regular season and have your buzz killed by Dinwiddie, that can lower the hype a bit if you aren't used to close games. Maybe the kids are just more humble, not "complacent". Maybe the injured players WILL make a big difference. Plus D'Ago Hunter was a bigger part of the offense than many people realize, and is very tough to replace along with the other skill guys lost. So I'm not surprised. Time to get a real running game going! Real news.

Last edited:
Wow, we agree on something Hoos. D. Hunter will be sorely missed. I said this in an earlier post. The top four teams in region b lost some unreal talent which will not be easily replaced. King, hunter, whalen, Thurston, bell, fludd, bridey, Pope, and Sturdivant. All were four year starters. It will take time for all to adjust. The team that does will win the region.

Last edited:
I am certainly guilty of liking to argue and being a knucklehead at times. My patience and passion have gone in opposite directions though.

I cant believe I am saying this, but the good lord sent me a strong message in May, so I will not be losing my mind over hs football anytime soon. Road my bike 17 miles today on the high bridge trail. My butt is whipped.

EV, is going to be fine just like the rest of us. The Courtland vs. Louisa game intrigues me, but I think Louisa comes out on top. Region B should have at least 5 solid teams this year, but only two are likely to go unbeaten. Courtland could wreck that theory though. Time will tell.

EV is a solid and good team. They will be fine. Could it be that they also scrimmaged two quality football teams? This actually might have been good for them in the long run.

Liberty is always a decent squad year in and out. They just smoked their current opponent Friday night.

I also think no one has a clue what Kettle Run has for a team this year. I could be wrong, but KR is flying way under everyones radar for a team that went 9-3 last year with all juniors and sophomores.

The cyclones will be fine.

Maybe so. My post was about the "How" not the what. You are right, both KR and Liberty have good squads.. and so does EV. The results of the scrimmages aren't important, but there was something missing from both scrimmages in the team atmosphere and "in play" intensity. It could be they will turn it on come game 1.

EV is a solid and good team. They will be fine. Could it be that they also scrimmaged two quality football teams? This actually might have been good for them in the long run.

Liberty is always a decent squad year in and out. They just smoked their current opponent Friday night.

I also think no one has a clue what Kettle Run has for a team this year. I could be wrong, but KR is flying way under everyones radar for a team that went 9-3 last year with all juniors and sophomores.

The cyclones will be fine.
Here is an article about EV's scrimmage against Liberty:

https://www.starexponent.com/sports...59b.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Liberty hasn't done much since their state semi appearance against Salem in 2014, so they're due to make some noise again. They definitely should be capable of it in 4C. Before EVcyc posted, I had assumed Liberty was just more improved this year, which they should be. KR is due to make noise as well. Hopefully 4C is overall tougher this year.

Reactions: mbonape1
Maybe so. My post was about the "How" not the what. You are right, both KR and Liberty have good squads.. and so does EV. The results of the scrimmages aren't important, but there was something missing from both scrimmages in the team atmosphere and "in play" intensity. It could be they will turn it on come game 1.
Assuming you were at the game on Friday. The O-line looks very big (not fat). I would think when the #1 RB is on the field the dynamics of that offense will change drastically, as well as adding in their 2 best WR that didn't seem to play much at all. The offense seemed very vanilla. EV has always had a lot of motion before the snap and I don't think they had any on Friday. Trying not to show anything to Culpeper?

I think Eastern view will be fine. They have another easy schedule to warm up with again. I do wish they played some tougher non conference opponents because they seemed to just run through the battlefield. This could hurt them in the playoffs because of not seeing top caliber teams until then. I'm waiting to see who their main wide receiver is running those wr screen. They would always make a killing on those.

I think Eastern view will be fine. They have another easy schedule to warm up with again. I do wish they played some tougher non conference opponents because they seemed to just run through the battlefield. This could hurt them in the playoffs because of not seeing top caliber teams until then. I'm waiting to see who their main wide receiver is running those wr screen. They would always make a killing on those.
Proctor or Leake

Reactions: VAHSFB2000
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT