ADVERTISEMENT

Fair Catch question.................

NNDman

VaPreps All District
May 29, 2001
Team A punts. B20 signals fair catch and muffs it. Can B20 pick up the ball and return it? I would think not since A would not be able to recover it and run it back. Thanks

Team A punts. B20 signals fair catch and muffs it. Can B20 pick up the ball and return it? I would think not since A would not be able to recover it and run it back. Thanks
If any Team B player signals on a scrimmage or free kick then the ball is going to be dead when any Team B player catches or recovers the kick. The "muff" doesn't change the status of the play (still a kick even after a "muff") so Team A can recover this kick and retain possession (but can't advance) provided B20 is given the opportunity to catch without interference.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud

The reason B can not return the ball doesn't have anything to do with A's inability to recover and run the ball. Instead of A and B, I'm going to use K and R for kicking and receiving team. K can never recover a muff and return the ball. A muff is still a live kick because R never possesses the ball. K can only "return" the ball on a punt beyond the neutral zone if R possesses the kick, thus ending the kick, and then fumbles. The original question was already answered correctly. Once R signals a fair catch, a muff and then recovery by R does not negate the ball becoming dead in their possession. If R tries to return it after a fair catch / muff / possession, they run the risk of a delay of game penalty.

Last edited:
Reactions: FBRef
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT