ADVERTISEMENT

Fan limit

Ampipe_High

VaPreps Rookie
Jul 27, 2020
Just saw online that Halifax County will be limiting the number of fans allowed to attend games. 1500 for outdoor and 1000 for indoor. Also only concessions that will be sold are bottled drinks, prepackaged food and pizza from local place. No grill food, popcorn, or nachos.

I'm looking for their neighbor pitall county to pull their stunt of in county games only again this season.

They weren’t the only division in VA to do that by a longshot. And I understand the logic. Cancellations from another division could wreak havoc on a team’s schedule, so it kind of makes sense logically. Definitely not accurate to characterize it as a “stunt”.

It does suck to be left to figure things out on your own when you’re on the outside looking in, but you just gotta pick yourself up by your bootstraps and get creative to figure out how to succeed despite the challenge. In the end, relying on others to get you what you need is always a gamble.

They weren’t the only division in VA to do that by a longshot. And I understand the logic. Cancellations from another division could wreak havoc on a team’s schedule, so it kind of makes sense logically. Definitely not accurate to characterize it as a “stunt”.

It does suck to be left to figure things out on your own when you’re on the outside looking in, but you just gotta pick yourself up by your bootstraps and get creative to figure out how to succeed despite the challenge. In the end, relying on others to get you what you need is always a gamble.
I wholeheartedly agree with your points, however, Pittsylvania County got hit with the hypocritical bug last season where they still allowed the one team that made the playoffs to compete. Two weeks after, they allowed a baseball jamboree with high school teams from all over to play at one of their high schools. Baseball and softball is what the county hangs their hat on. Chatham made the state championship in baseball (won it all in 2019), Tunstall is a state powerhouse in Class 3 , and Dan River is a state contender just about yearly. Of course they were going to let their spring teams go all out.

Reactions: Playmaker915
Just saw online that Halifax County will be limiting the number of fans allowed to attend games. 1500 for outdoor and 1000 for indoor. Also only concessions that will be sold are bottled drinks, prepackaged food and pizza from local place. No grill food, popcorn, or nachos.
I've never known them to have that many fans, so they should be ok.

I wholeheartedly agree with your points, however, Pittsylvania County got hit with the hypocritical bug last season where they still allowed the one team that made the playoffs to compete. Two weeks after, they allowed a baseball jamboree with high school teams from all over to play at one of their high schools. Baseball and softball is what the county hangs their hat on. Chatham made the state championship in baseball (won it all in 2019), Tunstall is a state powerhouse in Class 3 , and Dan River is a state contender just about yearly. Of course they were going to let their spring teams go all out.

Restricting regular season to in-county only and still allowing teams to participate in regional/state playoffs doesn’t strike me as hypocritical. The jamboree does sound dicey.

Reactions: gwb16
This is like me capping my savings account at $4,500,000.00. This is NOT an issue in most cases. I remember their stands being packed during the 1991 Championship Season.

Sadly, 1,500 is not an issue at MOST high schools.

Thank god someone here said it. You know for a fact a lot of the people chatting on here talk about programs where 1000 people is a BIG game but they're acting like they hit max capacity every week and capping them is actually going to cripple their program. Foolishness.

Restricting regular season to in-county only and still allowing teams to participate in regional/state playoffs doesn’t strike me as hypocritical. The jamboree does sound dicey.
Yeah I feel you for the simple fact that Henrico and Hanover County opponent only schedule actually worked as those teams are basically in the same distict so it didn’t matter. Pittsylvania hurt their own kids and other opponents by their moves though.. I didn’t even mention that they were in person anyway. At the end of the day, I understand the Appomattox fans’ frustration. Imagine being a state contender and having to play Altavista and Nelson twice..

Technically, Pittsylvania County didn't restrict football to in-county only. The Dogwood required a decision on whether Pitt County would play the district. Pitt Co couldn't guarantee they would play the whole district by the Dogwood's deadline. A week after the deadline Pitt County's numbers had improved enough that they could play outside the county but the only schools they could schedule were each other. So they played each other and were ready for the postseason. If anyone remembers, the Dogwood didn't put that requirement for volleyball, XC, and golf, so Pittsylvania County played full district schedules for those sports and allowed everything else to happen afterwards. Not the hypocrisy that people are making it out to be.

Yeah I feel you for the simple fact that Henrico and Hanover County opponent only schedule actually worked as those teams are basically in the same distict so it didn’t matter. Pittsylvania hurt their own kids and other opponents by the move.. I didn’t even mention that they were in person anyway,
They were in-person with masks required, as health experts recommended, and knew it was near impossible to wear masks while playing sports. We're so football-centric on this board that we're forgetting the decision by the local health director just came a week after the Dogwood's football required deadline.

Technically, Pittsylvania County didn't restrict football to in-county only. The Dogwood required a decision on whether Pitt County would play the district. Pitt Co couldn't guarantee they would play the whole district by the Dogwood's deadline. A week after the deadline Pitt County's numbers had improved enough that they could play outside the county but the only schools they could schedule were each other. So they played each other and were ready for the postseason. If anyone remembers, the Dogwood didn't put that requirement for volleyball, XC, and golf, so Pittsylvania County played full district schedules for those sports and allowed everything else to happen afterwards. Not the hypocrisy that people are making it out to be.
I feel you, but what about Tunstall? They aren’t in the Dogwood. GW had to schedule Botty at the last minute.

Reactions: tommythecpa
I feel you, but what about Tunstall? They aren’t in the Dogwood. GW had to schedule Botty at the last minute.
I think Pitt Co leadership just put Tunstall with the other schools since the other three were stuck playing each other. I never heard about an ultimatum from the Piedmont towards Tunstall but I'm thinking it was understood Tunstall would do what the other three had to do.

They were in-person with masks required, as health experts recommended, and knew it was near impossible to wear masks while playing sports. We're so football-centric on this board that we're forgetting the decision by the local health director just came a week after the Dogwood's football required deadline.
NC wore masks all winter and half the spring season as did some localities in NoVA. Sounds like a bunch of excuses (not by you, but the county). My take (as well as some other people in the Piedmont community) is Pittsylvania put the other sports on the back burner. You and I both know that volleyball, softball and baseball are king in the county and that’s keeping conjecture out of the equation. You definitely have more facts than I have and I appreciate you explaining things to me.

I agree totally with this an had several talks with the school board about this happening before baseball even started cause I knew this was how it was gonna play out !

Reactions: Realtalk78
Hearing they just canceled the football jamboree

GW had to schedule Charlottesville and Botty in basketball because nobody in the area would play. I scratched my head because you had neighboring NC communities that played 12 regular season basketball games and there was no problem. Reidsville’s boys and Dalton McMicheal’s girls played around 17 games each (playoffs included) and Danville/Pittsylvania Martinsville/Henry/Halifax played 13 games combined (GW 6, Halifax 6, Magna Vista 1).

Thank god someone here said it. You know for a fact a lot of the people chatting on here talk about programs where 1000 people is a BIG game but they're acting like they hit max capacity every week and capping them is actually going to cripple their program. Foolishness.
Actually, the Halifax/GW basketball game has avg around 1,500 fans in South Boston and a sell out in Danville the past 5-6 years.. GW’s gym holds around 1,200 (that’s being generous) and Halifax’s gym is easily doubled that capacity. I believe when GW played them for the Region D championship in 2020, they had around 1,700 people in Halifax’s gym. Football, yeah you may see 600 fans at GW and Halifax combined but basketball is a different story. The Averett Grant Center holds 2,500 fans, but GW has had some games there where they had to add 300 seats and turn back 400 people.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT