ADVERTISEMENT

Final: GC 67 Abingdon 37

sharkfan83

VaPreps Varsity
Aug 30, 2015
This game was just 27-15 at halftime. Very low scoring first half accompanied with very poor officiating. You would have thought the refs had been starved for 3 weeks prior to this game and they decided to eat their whistles. After a bunch of obvious flagrant fouls that were not called.....It finally got out of hand.

Abingdon players chose to shove Mac into the mats on 3 separate occasions and also shoved Dean after he made a steal...and only the last one was called a flagrant when Mac went into the mats. At that point Coach Vermillion had already had more than enough and his face was purple and he started walking towards Abingdons bench to have a little heart to heart with their Coach. Of course Scotty got T'd up for sticking up for his players and heading in their coaches direction....But he had full intentions of letting their coach have it and he made sure he got a few words to him from a distance.

This is now the 2nd game that a team has tried to wipe McClung out....Honestly suprised the kid hasn't been hurt already. I guess if some teams can't stop him they stoop low enough to try to take him out. Classless move on the coach and players part.....But oh well. I appreciate Scotty V and his love for his team and players. I think the guy would rip through an anvil over someone messing with his guys. No doubt the players appreciate him sticking up for them as much as the fans and parents appreciate it. You pull a stunt like these guys did tonight, you can expect to see the Purple Man on the sidelines raising hell on someone.

Abingdon took a good ole fashioned arse whipping in the end so it all worked out...Just lucky someone wasn't hurt. Wouldn't have hurt my feelings a bit to see the Devil's hang a hundo on them though.....But a 30 pt spread will suffice.

McClung 26
Ervin 14
Dean 14
George 6
Collier 3
Kimbler 3
Grindstaff 1

Good job Devils! Up next..... Rematch with Union. It's gonna be a good one. Head on out to Wise Tuesday night to catch this one if your in the area. Expecting maybe the biggest crowd that UVA Wise has ever seen.

Reactions: AntGZee
This game was just 27-15 at halftime. Very low scoring first half accompanied with very poor officiating. You would have thought the refs had been starved for 3 weeks prior to this game and they decided to eat their whistles. After a bunch of obvious flagrant fouls that were not called.....It finally got out of hand.

Abingdon players chose to shove Mac into the mats on 3 separate occasions and also shoved Dean after he made a steal...and only the last one was called a flagrant when Mac went into the mats. At that point Coach Vermillion had already had more than enough and his face was purple and he started walking towards Abingdons bench to have a little heart to heart with their Coach. Of course Scotty got T'd up for sticking up for his players and heading in their coaches direction....But he had full intentions of letting their coach have it and he made sure he got a few words to him from a distance.

This is now the 2nd game that a team has tried to wipe McClung out....Honestly suprised the kid hasn't been hurt already. I guess if some teams can't stop him they stoop low enough to try to take him out. Classless move on the coach and players part.....But oh well. I appreciate Scotty V and his love for his team and players. I think the guy would rip through an anvil over someone messing with his guys. No doubt the players appreciate him sticking up for them as much as the fans and parents appreciate it. You pull a stunt like these guys did tonight, you can expect to see the Purple Man on the sidelines raising hell on someone.

Abingdon took a good ole fashioned arse whipping in the end so it all worked out...Just lucky someone wasn't hurt. Wouldn't have hurt my feelings a bit to see the Devil's hang a hundo on them though.....But a 30 pt spread will suffice.

McClung 26
Ervin 14
Dean 14
George 6
Collier 3
Kimbler 3
Grindstaff 1

Good job Devils! Up next..... Rematch with Union. It's gonna be a good one. Head on out to Wise Tuesday night to catch this one if your in the area. Expecting maybe the biggest crowd that UVA Wise has ever seen.
and told through the eyes of a gate city fan
tonight's game was a very physical and high intensity played game, there is a difference between playing defense and trying to wipe a player out, and yes it ws very poorly officiated. abingdon played super aggressive d, and yes some players ended up on there tails tonight, usually happens when you drive it to the basket on just about every possession, mac as you call him should expect some contact as he tries to drive it to the hole and dunk it on every possession commonsense would tell you that ain't going to happen, and yes there were a couple flagrant fouls tonight but all were on the floor and none were in the air or in an attempt to hurt someone, and as your coach, pretty pitiful actions i think, it was the kids playing not the coach's he should have been tossed

Driving to the basket and getting fouled by someone making a play on the basketball is one thing..... But that's not what happened. If you can't stop him before he gets to the bucket and is swinging from the rim then it's not his fault....that doesn't merit the opposing team the right to shove him in the back without a flagrant being called. The refs were poor on both sides and I realize thats their fault....But the junk Abigdon was pulling will get someone hurt. Like I said....Simply classless and the fact it was only called a flagrant one time was mind boggling. If Mac McClung (as everyone calls him because it's the name he goes by) dunking the ball bothers teams so bad....Stop him before he gets there. So many people butt hurt that he tries to finish with authority around the rim all the time.

And I applaud Coach for sticking up for his players. No one wants to play for a coach that's spineless and doesn't have your back. Coach Vermillion is one of the most genuine individuals you'll ever meet and he loves his team. To set him off like that it has to be something pretty egregious...And in this case him being livid was warranted. He got technical #1....which comes before the #2....which is the number that gets you ejected. So no, he shouldn't have been tossed.

Try as you may, but you can't polish a turd! No class on Abingdons part.

Last edited:
A lot of the Abingdon fans and especially parents were upset with the their teams cheap shots after the play and the intentional pushes in the back. (Those things happened) Aggressive defense is great but when it didn't work it got dirty with the young emotional Abingdon coach cheering it on.

Reactions: sharkfan83
like i said, i saw a different game, i saw as many abingdon players hit the floor going to the basket as i did gate city players, and yes i agree there was intentional fouls and they were called, but like i said, all were on the floor and not in the air, and he only hung on the rim one time and nothing happened on that occasion, and like i said, when you drive to the rim on ever possion against 5 defenders and try to dunk on them, your going to get hit and fouled, part of the game, and i never once saw abingdons coach encouraging his player to hurt or intentional foul anyone, he did encourage aggressive and hard nose d, part of the game

only coach i saw out of control was vermillion running his mouth all the way on the other teams bench, uncalled for, his beef should have been with the re'f, who were pathetic, especially JWM

One of the intentional fouls was for pushing a GC player in the back while he was in the air. Just because the refs called that one does not make it ok?

No one argues hard fouls that's part of the game.

Pushing an air born defenseless player in the back with both hands as he crashes into the wall is honestly embarrassing for your team. At least part of your fans and parents were embarrassed by it.

If you call all the other stuff away from the ball and after the play hard D. Then that's your right to have that opinion. If you didn't see then you just missed it.

Last edited:
Not sure what game 8fter watched. It was pretty dang obvious that they were after McClung. And he was airborne on the flagrant they called (cause he made the shot, idiot!) I agree with what Scotty done, you must defend your guys. Abingdon knocked that crap off once they knew Scotty was ready to stand up for his guys. Big #34 got upset that he didn't have the handles he thinks his has when Dean picked his pocket and deliberately pushed him in the back after the steal. He sat the remainder of the game on the bench like he should have.

Wow, did it get that bad out there? Under cutting a ballplayer in the air is a big NO NO.

Not sure what game 8fter watched. It was pretty dang obvious that they were after McClung. And he was airborne on the flagrant they called (cause he made the shot, idiot!) I agree with what Scotty done, you must defend your guys. Abingdon knocked that crap off once they knew Scotty was ready to stand up for his guys. Big #34 got upset that he didn't have the handles he thinks his has when Dean picked his pocket and deliberately pushed him in the back after the steal. He sat the remainder of the game on the bench like he should have.
yes he did push him, never said he didn't, yes he did sit, and i never once seen abingdons coach up yelling for him to do it, it was frustration from the kid, and the ref's made the call

I could have watched the game with Ray Charles's eyes and still seen that it was dirty play by Abingdon. As the other guys on here said, several Abingdon fans were totally embarassed by the actions of their own guys on the court....they seen the same thing that everyone else seen. They wasn't just good hard fouls....It was classless stunts that could have got him hurt.

Some of them were embarrassed, while others yelled "foul him" in laughs when Mac had the ball after that.

no one was ever under cut, a lot of of different eyes explaining the same plays, depends on the side you sit on

Funny how everyone saw it but you. I literally just watched the play on film. #14 clearly ran into Mac and pushed him (mid layup) into the mat while #31 was actually tried going for the ball. #14 absolutely made no play on the ball, just a dirty play to push Mac in the back and Mac still flushed the layup.

And I also watched #34 push Dean after the steal, clearly no play on the ball either. Just a clear push/forearm in the in back.

#34 also should have gotten another technical after shoving Mac on a layup in the 2nd half as well with no play on the ball. I have watched all 3 plays about 20 times now. And what I described above is what happened, so get over it 8fter. Abingdon played dirty and you know it.

Last edited:
8ftr.....if you can't play with the smaller schools, stay home til you grow into your big boy panties.

I knew if I looked hard enough that there would be griping about this game. I was in attendance. I watch a great deal of local high school basketball. So far, I have watched Gate City 3 times and Abingdon once. Since both sides of this game only see things through their rose colored glasses, here is a rather unbiased account.
I saw 4 plays in question. Three involved McClung trying to dunk and one shove in the back after a steal. Yes, the shove in the back was an intentional foul and called as such. Happens all the time on steals out of frustration, get over it. Of the three dunk attempts, the shove in the back by 14 was obviously intentional and called as such. It did not appear to be a hard shove or out of aggression, just a mistake. McClung did not hit the wall as reported and actually made the shot. # 34 met McClung at the basket on one dunk attempt and made a very hard foul, questionable as to whether he made attempt on ball or not but can be justified as intentional. Still McClung never hit the wall. The other dunk attempt was against #31 I believe. McClung picked him at halfcourt and #31 hustled to goal and made a very good defensive play to prevent the dunk/score. Bad call on this one but crowd and Vermillion were already going nuts.

Listen, basketball has become a very aggressive and physical game. Abingdon is a 3A school that has to compete against schools much more physical than southwest Virginia has to offer. I saw no obvious intent to injure, just players trying to play hard and fast. Mistakes happens with shoves in the back, no one was actually hurt. I may have had different views if I had not already seen Gate City whine over these things in the other games I have watched. Seems to me that McClung is their only hope at going anywhere and they are terrified of losing him. If he continues trying to drive to basket against defense and play as aggressive as he does, expect to get beat and banged. I almost predict that he will get hurt at some point because of this. If you don't want him getting fouled with 30 point lead, sit him down.

IMO, the refs got caught up in the hype of the game and began calling what the crowd wanted. Vermillion acted like a buffoon and should have been thrown out or worse for threatening to kick a high school players "a$$". I was sitting right behind the scorers table. I heard the words and saw the kid he was pointing at #34. Once again, The later fouls were Vermillions fault for leaving the starters in until 2 minutes to go in a 40 point game. If you want to blame anyone, look in the mirror.

I knew if I looked hard enough that there would be griping about this game. I was in attendance. I watch a great deal of local high school basketball. So far, I have watched Gate City 3 times and Abingdon once. Since both sides of this game only see things through their rose colored glasses, here is a rather unbiased account.
I saw 4 plays in question. Three involved McClung trying to dunk and one shove in the back after a steal. Yes, the shove in the back was an intentional foul and called as such. Happens all the time on steals out of frustration, get over it. Of the three dunk attempts, the shove in the back by 14 was obviously intentional and called as such. It did not appear to be a hard shove or out of aggression, just a mistake. McClung did not hit the wall as reported and actually made the shot. # 34 met McClung at the basket on one dunk attempt and made a very hard foul, questionable as to whether he made attempt on ball or not but can be justified as intentional. Still McClung never hit the wall. The other dunk attempt was against #31 I believe. McClung picked him at halfcourt and #31 hustled to goal and made a very good defensive play to prevent the dunk/score. Bad call on this one but crowd and Vermillion were already going nuts.

Listen, basketball has become a very aggressive and physical game. Abingdon is a 3A school that has to compete against schools much more physical than southwest Virginia has to offer. I saw no obvious intent to injure, just players trying to play hard and fast. Mistakes happens with shoves in the back, no one was actually hurt. I may have had different views if I had not already seen Gate City whine over these things in the other games I have watched. Seems to me that McClung is their only hope at going anywhere and they are terrified of losing him. If he continues trying to drive to basket against defense and play as aggressive as he does, expect to get beat and banged. I almost predict that he will get hurt at some point because of this. If you don't want him getting fouled with 30 point lead, sit him down.

IMO, the refs got caught up in the hype of the game and began calling what the crowd wanted. Vermillion acted like a buffoon and should have been thrown out or worse for threatening to kick a high school players "a$$". I was sitting right behind the scorers table. I heard the words and saw the kid he was pointing at #34. Once again, The later fouls were Vermillions fault for leaving the starters in until 2 minutes to go in a 40 point game. If you want to blame anyone, look in the mirror.

GC subed when Ab subed when didn't the AB coach put his kids in down 30 with 10 min to go ?

My son played with those Abingdon kids for years and they told him the coach told them to do that ? and Scotty was not talking to 34 he was talking to the coach and the fat ass bookkeeper.

I was sitting 3 rows back behind score table. He pointed directly at 34 and then 44. Why would losing team sub out starters first? That's the dumbest thing you could come back with. It was classless move and taking big chance of getting that kid hurt.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
kpt vol abingdon is not the school that is double aa playing in single a so they can compete, and your team is way overrated and will not win state and how many are suppose to be in tenn high schools there???

Scotty was pointing at the coach. He had no reason to point at #34. They hacked McClung all night and Scotty finally had enough. Scotty was a little defensive after the "hit for hire" Wise Central had on McClung earlier in the season. I don't blame Scotty one bit for losing his cool, cause I was losing mine as well. Scotty is the most level headed guy out there, for him to snap, you know something isn't right. Abingdon went to far with 2 flagrant fouls Saturday night and Scotty had enough.

GC had already played 11 kids in this game
down 30 Ab had kids that got in for 15 seconds coach had to call a time out with 15 seconds to go to get last kid in
and during that scrum how could you tell who he was pointing at ? he at Ab bench only people sitting 3 rows back from scorers table were ab fans

yea like the big mouth bookkeeper running his mouth for Ab
why did Ab's fans cheer so wildly everytime there was a good hard foul as you say ?
the Basham kid and #24 had some class the rest were classless
McClung showed a lot of restraint taking the crap he took and not retaliating

Newtimer thank you for your tireless search of the internet and joining this forum today just to give your “independent” account of the game. You have done a great public service to us all today.

As I understand it now through your “Independent eyes,” the Gate City player gets push in the back and the Abingdon player makes no play on the ball, while the GC player is in the air (that’s is his fault or the GC coaches fault, not quite sure which one, but one of those guys are at fault.) After the push, the Gate City coach then goes immediately to the opposite direction of the players involved in the push to threaten kids on the bench, not the Abingdon’s coach? Thanks for clearing that up. Wow, everyone else saw the GC coach directing his attention to the Abingdon coach. “Independent eyes” they do make a difference.

You make a great point any kid that goes hard to the basket should expect to be shoved in the back and put into the wall. Especially, if it is the middle of the 3rd quarter and the other team has already started shoving already. As the Abingdon fans yell "foul him," is when everyone should have realized that Gate City deserved to be pushed in the back every time a player drove to the basket. The problem here is with the people being shoved. Great points, thanks for joining up today. I look forward to your valuable and "independent" insight on all the rest of the teams in the future.

Reactions: sharkfan83

Don't look like they competed very well with what SWVA had to offer unless 30 points is a close game for them

I actually sat among 3 gate city families. I never said it was OK to shove in the back, just that it happens in a lot of games out of frustration. I never heard Abingdon fans yelling to foul anyone but they could have been. From my viewpoint, 34 and 44 jumped up and mouthed something toward gate city's bench and the coach was walking directly towards them and pointing. I did not say that Abingdon did not deserve intentional fouls to be called, I actually stated that two times Abingdon kids did push in the back. All I did was that you are over blowing it saying McClung was shoved into the wall because he never hit the wall once. In three fouls at the basket, he got two shots off and scored on one of them. Landed on his feet twice. I am sure there is video somewhere, if you are correct that everyone is out to get him, take it further. Let's see the video of gate city coach too so people can determine how out of line he was. I watched Scotty play in high school and college. Good player but he wasn't opposed to using some force to get his way. I wouldn't call him a dirty player, but he was physical. I am sure other teams yelled about him as well.

And for "way of life". Are you seriously accusing a church pastor "TJ " of instructing his players to take McClung out.

Just watched the video again. McClung was pushed, landed on his side, and the momentum created by the push made him crash into the wall. Which in my book is, pushed into the wall! I just watched it for the 50th time. When #34 pushed Mac on a layup, Mac actually landed on his hands and feet.

Keep saying it GC, never happened. He barely went out of bounds once, came straight down against 31, and hit floor against 34, never touched wall.

same church pastor chased refs off the floor against eastside and flew ignorant when they got beat at Lee ask the kid that TJ flew ignorant on in a pickup game before school if he acts like a preacher. yes TJ tells his kids NO Layups! doesn't say it but that is the way he played and that is the way he coaches

And for "way of life". Are you seriously accusing a church pastor "TJ " of instructing his players to take McClung out.

It's fact. McAnus told his players to not let McClung dunk. McClung got word of this somehow before the game through social media.

Well, WC did not let McClung dunk at first with 2 intentional pushes into the mats at Wise.

The locker rooms at WC are side by side, and GC's team could hear McAnus telling his team to not let him dunk anymore. Words were exchanged after the game and GC filed grievance against WC after the game in Wise.

Keep saying it GC, never happened. He barely went out of bounds once, came straight down against 31, and hit floor against 34, never touched wall.

have you seen the film ? from where you were sitting you couldn't tell what happened if you are unbiased why are you here and why do you care?

He doesn't have the film, but I do. On the flagrant foul, Mac's back/shoulder hit the mat. Even if he didn't (like the blind old timer says), it's still a flagrant and illegal foul which is totally uncalled for. So I'm not sure why he keeps trying to prove his point when I have video evidence.

I just noticed in the flagrant foul against Mac at the end of the video you can see Scotty pointing directly at the Abingdon coach.

way of life look at the film if he ius 3 rows back sitting with GC people should stick out like turd in punch bowl

Lol, anyone can say they have video and say anything happened. Don't believe you for a minute. Outside being a pastor, hard to believe that TJ done all that against one of his former teammates and friends. But I guess you have video of what was heard in locker room too. What about clips from social media, gotta be proof somewhere? Keep yelling fire, someone may believe you soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT