ADVERTISEMENT

Final: GC 67 Abingdon 37

Looks like someone is using 2 different accounts. I thought way of life had the video. Pretty sure every fan doesn't record their own.

Can't load video yet, actually still can't load this picture. Doubt there ever was one.. You can have 2 accounts at different times, hell I started this one today. I have many. My whole point in this matter is that GC needs to toughen up and quit crying. You have a good nucleus but McClung plays reckless and will get hurt. IMO, everyone was frustrated because he couldn't hit a shot until halftime buzzer beater. He didn't have his normal 35 point+ so must be someone else's fault.

Last edited:
Wrong again. His "normal" (you mean average), is around 28. He dropped 26 which is pretty much his "normal". He had 14 of GC's 27 at the half. 14 is half of his average. Not to mention Mac only had 2 points in the 4th, which he started dishing the ball and getting Zac and Dean some points before he was pulled for good. Mac could of had about 35 if he played the entire game. We don't care if Mac scores 2 or 50, as long as we win. It's not about Mac, it's about Gate City. Why should we toughen up? We are tough. How about these teams quit pushing and shoving with the intent to do harm. It's fine if the game is physical, we know the game is very physical with a lot less fouls up the road towards Richmond, we've been there and know how it is. But that physical play is usually within the rules (ticky tack fouls here in swva) with no pushing and shoving that demistrates no play on the ball what so ever! Mac is a very tough kid, he always has been. He can take a beating, and he's always been undersized but he has a huge heart. He doesn't care to take it to the rim, he knows he could get hurt. But driving to the hoop is part of his game. You are mistaking finesse for recklessness.

Last edited:
If you say so, good luck with that. You love to circle back around. Sounds like this may be Mac himself or someone in love with him. If you have that kind of stats then this is probably either the bookkeeper or Asst. coach Warner who was never opposed to cheap shots himself in high school. Once again pot and kettle example. I never said the shoves in the back were OK. I only meant that when Mac started off cold, the fans got frustrated. Heck the entire first quarter was pretty boring. Once the crowd got riled up, every whistle was supposed to be flagrant according to the fans. We will see you at Union game, maybe they will part the lane and let Mac dunk all night to make everyone happy.

Last edited:
GC get tough! If your truly tough you can handle pushes from behind when your in the air! Thats how toughness is really measured in kids these days. It is how far you travel when you get pushed in the back, that really matters... Now "newtimer" is really tough. Not like your soft D1 athletes.

I have been reading the thread since Saturday and honestly am baffled. I was in attendance of this game and concur with what oldtimer is saying.

GC complains whens games are called to tightly and complains when games are called to loosely. The game was psychical and Abingdon took some cheap shots. 2 intentional fouls were called... judging by the GIF maybe a 3rd should have been called. But I will say at the game I did not think the play that is shown in the GIF should have been called. Refs have a split second to decide what to call... It is easy to look at this GIF and say absolutely... a INT Foul.

Secondly, GC attacks the rim. You are going to see hard fouls and bodies on the floor. That is a given. Every time GC drives to the basket should not be a foul. If McClung jumps into a pocket of defenders the foul is not on the defenders. They have a right to space. The foul/no call is on mcClung for jumping into a defenders space. Now if there is a hit on the arm or something that is a different story.

Lastly, what more do you want? GC complains about refs calling games too tight. Well the moment they get a physical game (that supposedly occurs up state... I have not seen games called to terribly different up state compared to SWVA) GC complains. Let's say the refs call a bunch of fouls... get the game under control and nothing happens. Then the GC faithfuls flood all board complain about 30+ fouls called in a half and how the officiating sucks. You guys are ridiculous.

GC is a solid team though. Abingdon is not a bad team either but their head coach cant control his team. They play hard but once they were out of reach of the win they got chippy.

I have watched A LOT of basektball in SWVA this year. A lot of poor teams but officiating is not to blame for Saturday night. There is a lot more to blame but refs are easy people to blame in cases like this.

I'm all for letting games be physical. But there is a difference between physical and chippy. Bodies hitting the floor and etc is no big deal to me. But when players are throwing out arms to push a player on a screen, trying to lower the shoulder and run through a screen, pushing players on layups to keep them from attempting the shot, pushing a player after a steal is known as chippy not physical. Physical play is hands on the offensive player with the ball, some body contact (not throwing the body) aggressive boxing out, and some hard hacks at the ball. There's a huge difference. Abingdon on Saturday night was chippy, they did all of the above.

Did you not watch GC from like 2000-2009? You guys fail to remember you all were brutes on the hard wood. All what you mentioned minutes the 2 hand pushes gc did.

Last edited:
I am NOT from SWVA but am more than a little surprised at all the WHINING from a few of these Gate City posters. Flagrant, not flagrant, intentional, not intentional...who gives a crap? You supposedly have a good team but from some of these posts, thin skin seems to be in abundance as well.

Let it go. The team with the most points wins, not the team who cries the most.

Sorry for defending a player that has had two teams try and take him out.

I'm certainly not a person with thin skin, you won't hurt my feelings whatsoever. I dish out my fair share so I can take it too.

But when someone tries to hurt someone else, I'll defend them all day no matter who they play for. It's very unsportsmanlike and totally uncalled for.

Call it "thin skin" if you want, but how would like for that to be your son and for this crap to happen for the 2nd game this season? Are you going to tell your son to "suck it up" or "don't have such thin skin", "maybe you should quit driving to the hoop"? No, you wouldn't tell your son that. You would've done what Mac's father done at Wise Central (he already knew about the "hit for hire" before the game, that's why Mac's dad reacted at WC that night) and you would have done exactly what every GC fan/coach did Saturday in defense of Mac. You can say what you want, but you would of been livid if it happened to your son, grandson, or team. You would of had "thin skin" too. Sorry for stepping up for the best player in SWVA, who has done nothing but just play basketball.

None of GC's players have thin skin, I've never seen them lose their cool. Yes we have a very good ball team. And I care along with every GC fan, coach, and parent in attendance that night if they were intentional or not. There's no place in sports for that kind of action. You never try to take someone out just because they are better than you. We don't want to lose any player because of an injury caused by inappropriate actions by someone else.

Last edited:
Did you not watch GC from like 2000-2009? You guys fail to remember you all were brutes on the hard wood. All what you mentioned minutes the 2 hand pushes gc did.

I've guessed you failed to realize how much the sport of basketball has changed rules wise. Things you could do 10 years ago don't go in today's game, way more style involved in today's game with a lot less legal contact involved.

I know plenty about those teams considering I played for 4 years during that time. We had a really good team and was physically gifted moreso than most other teams but never played dirty or chippy and never pulled a stunt like AHS or WC did on GC this year. No one would be complaining if it was a clean hard foul and a play on the ball....But these were 2 handed shoves in the back that were obvious and some were with the player in mid-air. If we had done something like that we would have been digging splinters out of our arse for a month....I can guarantee you that. Scotty would have never had us do anything like that and he won't stand for it.

I will be anxious to read the posts come playoff time. Y'all keep me entertained for real. Seriously though, I don't want to see any kid get hurt. I want to see healthy teams come playoff time.

I've guessed you failed to realize how much the sport of basketball has changed rules wise. Things you could do 10 years ago don't go in today's game, way more style involved in today's game with a lot less legal contact involved.

Please enlighten us as to what rule changes have been implemented in the last 10 years that drastically changed the game. Please.

Ant, all this talk of physical play, pushes, players and coaches losing control, it sounds like most every Dogs-GW or Halifax or MV or so on and so forth game. Except for the brawl with GW a few years ago all that ever comes of it is a little jawing and it's forgotten. Wish I had a dime for everytime I've seen a player end up in the bleachers under the baskets at the Dog House.

Reactions: AntGZee
Hrsepasture1, you're rite on with that one. Many physical games over the years between these 4 teams ( Mville, GWD, Halifax Co and MV ). I think that fight, a few years ago, during that Martinsville vs GWD taught lessons. Stay under control and play the game.

Not whining at all....just illuminating the truth about the pure lack of class and sportsmanship. The point is.....There's no place in basketball for the type of play that was displayed by AHS and WC. It's all well and good as long as no one is injured....Everyone gets heated and then forgets about it after a while. But if a player misses the rest of the season due to an injury on one of these stunts.... then the reality of how dirty these plays really are sets in and resonates with everyone. Doesn't matter if it's at Madison, RE Lee, Martinsville, Dan River, East Rock....You name it.....It's not gonna go over well. Anyone can sit back and bump their gums when it's not their sons/daughters, or players for their team....Easily achieved.

I'm always fair in my assessments of how GC plays and try to rid myself of the overbearing homerism that most fans exude and I rarely ever even mention the refs and the job they do as they usually have no bearings in the outcome of most games anyhow. I'm a realist and usually get stuck with claiming I'm too negative about the Devils....I just tell it how it is and some GC fans don't like it. But these situations were ridiculous and uncalled for. There was some Tennessee High, Sullivan North, Sullivan South, Dobyns Bennett, Twin Springs, and Rye Cove fans at this game that I talked to and they all had the same feelings towards it....And mind you alot of the fans from those schools arent rooting for GC. They come to watch GC because they are pretty good and most of the teams these guys are rooting for either wasn't playing and/or are having down years.....But most of them want the Devils to lose nonetheless.

Anyways, GC plays Union tomorrow night and that should be the focus. Everyone is healthy on both teams as far as I know and this one should be a shootout. Union has been playing lights out as of lately and play a little better overall team ball than GC. I expect this to be another good one.

Last edited:
Reactions: AntGZee
Am I the only one that has noticed fouls were called on all the crashes in the small highlight tape?

Reiterating the fact GC fans behavior is questionable at best.

Lol. We are fine with the rough play but once again, when you stop going for the ball and start pushing players in mid air that's where the problem lies. We didn't complain about any of those calls in the video above, only the 2 flagrants and the missed flagrant by #34 that I posted yesterday. The argument wasn't if fouls were being called, it's if Abingdon was trying their best to do harm to Mac, which I believe they were, they didn't seem to attack any other GC player in that manner. But, all in all a dirty game by Abingdon, I don't give a rats @$$ what you all think, you guys are so oblivious it's almost funny. Maybe GC should just start returning the favor, then we'll really have to listen to all yalls crap.

Last edited:
Reactions: blackknight_pride
Lol. We are fine with the rough play but once again, when you stop going for the ball and start pushing players in mid air that's where the problem lies. We didn't complain about any of those calls in the video above, only the 2 flagrants and the missed flagrant by #34 that I posted yesterday. The argument wasn't if fouls were being called, it's if Abingdon was trying their best to do harm to Mac, which I believe they were, they didn't seem to attack any other GC player in that manner. But, all in all a dirty game by Abingdon, I don't give a rats @$$ what you all think, you guys are so oblivious it's almost funny. Maybe GC should just start returning the favor, then we'll really have to listen to all yalls crap.

I can agree that the one INT foul was missed. However what more do you want? They called two INT fouls against Abingdon. Should the refs have taken the kids birthday too after the INT fouls?

Reactions: blackknight_pride
The call is a flagrant 1 and he is disqualified for next 2 games. Until refs grow some balls its going to get worse someone is going to get hurt and then a riot is going to ensue. Not just talking about at GC games either. I have heard from other people that AB is like this every night they are getting worked. I think the word they used was turds.

What I want is for the refs to have control. If they see the game is getting a bit chippy they need to talk to both coaches and players before a flagrant ever needs to be called. Give someone an inch, they'll take a mile. Abingdon knew early on they were going to get away with hacking Mac to death. Once they lost their tempers it ended up being a bad combination. I just don't want to see anyone hurt, that's my argument. This stuff needs to be nipped in the bud before it leads to flagrants. That's the 3rd game this year that's gotten out of hand for Gate City. Boys @ WC, Boys vs Abingdon, and Girls vs WC. 4 GC girls actually did get hurt vs WC at home. Refs need to gain control of the game.

The call is a flagrant 1 and he is disqualified for next 2 games. Until refs grow some balls its going to get worse someone is going to get hurt and then a riot is going to ensue. Not just talking about at GC games either. I have heard from other people that AB is like this every night they are getting worked. I think the word they used was turds.
Flagrant 1's do not exist in high school sports. And for the argument Flagrant 2's do not either lol. This is not college it is high school.

Continue to blame someone else besides those who need blamed. Abingdon players/coaches for not telling them to just play. A ref can call so many fouls and make the game safe but if a kid is going to take someone out they are going to take someone out. Bottom line.

I'm from Abingdon and was at the games Saturday night. And here's my two cents:
1. JV girls game - GC is up 45 -5 and still pressing. Classless.
2. A bunch of GC fans piled in around me on what I thought was the visiting team side of the bleachers. And there were still lots of seats on the home side. They were arguing calls with GC up by 30 points. And going nuts EVERY time McClung got fouled, yelling "intentional!" They didn't act this way at Abingdon. And it wasn't just the boys varsity game. They showed their immaturity during the girls varsity game too.
3. There was one intentional foul. It got called. The rest of the fouls were just fouls. Just because it's a foul on McClung doesn't make it intentional.
4. McClung is a great ball player. And will probably continue to have a great career. But Zac Ervin played better.

Looks like some rough play here and there, but it's all over now.

This thread is hilarious. You guys are ridiculous. If you want to see how GC is, just watch this video for the foul called on the 3 pointer. Obvious flop for McClung. Notice the Abingdon player goes flying through and McClung actually falls the opposite way and slowly lays down on the floor like he's gonna take a nap. What a joke. Same thing with "hitting the mats". McClung makes it look like he is getting fouled harder than actually happened. Good actor, got a whole town convinced.

Flagrant 1's do not exist in high school sports. And for the argument Flagrant 2's do not either lol. This is not college it is high school.

Continue to blame someone else besides those who need blamed. Abingdon players/coaches for not telling them to just play. A ref can call so many fouls and make the game safe but if a kid is going to take someone out they are going to take someone out. Bottom line.
After the young ref (who seems awfully chummy with GC's coach) got caught up in the crowd hype and called everything a flagrant, the Abingdon coach should have just let his players step aside every time McClung got the ball and gave him his free lane to basket. That is what GC wants. Just because you met players fast enough to beat him to the basket doesn't make it flagrant fouls.

I'm from Abingdon and was at the games Saturday night. And here's my two cents:
1. JV girls game - GC is up 45 -5 and still pressing. Classless.
2. A bunch of GC fans piled in around me on what I thought was the visiting team side of the bleachers. And there were still lots of seats on the home side. They were arguing calls with GC up by 30 points. And going nuts EVERY time McClung got fouled, yelling "intentional!" They didn't act this way at Abingdon. And it wasn't just the boys varsity game. They showed their immaturity during the girls varsity game too.
3. There was one intentional foul. It got called. The rest of the fouls were just fouls. Just because it's a foul on McClung doesn't make it intentional.
4. McClung is a great ball player. And will probably continue to have a great career. But Zac Ervin played better.
Don't forget that in the girls varsity game that GC knocked Grace Hess out of bounds twice on drives to the goal but she was the one who got in foul trouble. Refs were in GC's pocket all night.

Don't forget that in the girls varsity game that GC knocked Grace Hess out of bounds twice on drives to the goal but she was the one who got in foul trouble. Refs were in GC's pocket all night.

Definitely! The GC crowd sitting around me argued everything Grace was involved in. Not sure what they've got against her.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT