ADVERTISEMENT

FINAL: Manchester 70 Hermitage 0 (called in the second quarter due to lighting after a delay)

pizzzzza

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Nov 9, 2001
Manchester took 24 seconds to get on the board against Hermitage. Lancers up 7-0

Manchester took 36 seconds to score a second TD, now up 14-0 on Hermitage.

Figueroa rushes for his third touchdown of the game for Manchester as the Lancers build a 28-0 lead three minutes into the game against Hermitage.

On a rainy night in the Richmond area, the only thing that could stop the No. 2 Lancers was the rain, as visiting Manchester moved to 9-0 with a win against the Panthers (1-9) in a game called before halftime.

Shamar Figueroa and Brendon Clark pushed the Manchester lead to 14-0 within the game's first 36 seconds, and the game was wildly out of hand after the first quarter concluded with the Lancers holding a 49-0 lead.

Figueroa had three rushing touchdowns within the first four minutes of the game for Manchester.

Backup quarterback Roemell Garcia ended up with three touchdowns in a short amount of time in the third quarter to push the final scoreline to 70-0, and finished with 116 yards rushing on only six carries.

http://richmond.pointslocal.com/game/21185

Does anyone know if there is an "official" VHSL Mercy Rule; or do they leave it up to the two schools to come to an agreement?

No mercy rule other than running clock in 2nd half if one team up by 35. I think there is a mutual agreement clause, but not sure.

Does anyone know if there is an "official" VHSL Mercy Rule; or do they leave it up to the two schools to come to an agreement?
Salem was up 77-7 a few yrs ago at the half and they played the whole game. So it’s probably up to the coaches

interesting... I couln't find it there (in football or in general) OR in the 2014 NFHS book.

I know some years back the VHSL basically re-did the whole section on football... maybe it WAS there but isn't anymore?!?!?!? I have no idea what box my older Handbooks might be in.

But I'm not the only one who 'knows' about it... Taft Coghill at the Fred. paper mentioned it a few weeks ago.

https://www.fredericksburg.com/spor...cle_a635d85c-17b1-5d42-9067-fabc1e9901b9.html

Reactions: CRF4Dan
interesting... I couln't find it there (in football or in general) OR in the 2014 NFHS book.

I know some years back the VHSL basically re-did the whole section on football... maybe it WAS there but isn't anymore?!?!?!? I have no idea what box my older Handbooks might be in.

But I'm not the only one who 'knows' about it... Taft Coghill at the Fred. paper mentioned it a few weeks ago.

https://www.fredericksburg.com/spor...cle_a635d85c-17b1-5d42-9067-fabc1e9901b9.html

It is an excellent point to bring up. I just feel like the officials would not have allowed it to be called if it would not be legal. I know we give refs a rough time but I would hope they would know what constitutes a complete game.

from what I've seen here and on other boards this year, the officials are worse than ever.

Boys, let me tell ya sumthun.
Back in MY day, yuhawl played the WHOLE 48 minutes.
AND had to run back kickoffs.
AND it was UPHILL, both ways... no matter WHICH end of the field you were on.
Kids these days.... IDK.

Last edited:
According to the WTVR TV Station Website out of Richmond:

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. -- Manchester started fast, as they scored 49 points in the first quarter as they handed Hermitage their worst loss in school history, 70-0. The game was called in the second quarter due to lighting after a delay.

Lancers starting quarterback Brendon Clark played less than a quarter as they didn't want to risk injury. He threw a touchdown and added one on the ground in his time on the field.

Clark's backup, Roemell Garcia scored three touchdowns in the second quarter and ended the night with 116 yards on only six carries.

Hermitage was shutout for the fifth time this season and have been outscored 419-62 this season.

https://wtvr.com/2018/10/27/manchester-scores-70-in-a-rain-shorten-win-over-hermitage/

According to the WTVR TV Station Website out of Richmond:

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. -- Manchester started fast, as they scored 49 points in the first quarter as they handed Hermitage their worst loss in school history, 70-0. The game was called in the second quarter due to lighting after a delay.

Lancers starting quarterback Brendon Clark played less than a quarter as they didn't want to risk injury. He threw a touchdown and added one on the ground in his time on the field.

Clark's backup, Roemell Garcia scored three touchdowns in the second quarter and ended the night with 116 yards on only six carries.

Hermitage was shutout for the fifth time this season and have been outscored 419-62 this season.

https://wtvr.com/2018/10/27/manchester-scores-70-in-a-rain-shorten-win-over-hermitage/
So since it didn't go a full half, does it count?

Boys, let me tell ya sumthun.
Back in MY day, yuhawl played the WHOLE 48 minutes.
AND had to run back kickoffs.
AND it was UPHILL, both ways... no matter WHICH end of the field you were on.
Kids these days.... IDK.
FYI: - The kids did not call the game;
unless you are ancient enough to call the adults involved kids :rolleyes:

Well, let's see..... my 10th grade PE teacher had a boy in grade school who grew up to be the head coach of one of the 2002 state title teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT